Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil leak on new LS2

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil leak on new LS2

I just installed a ls2 402 and I have an oil leak coming from the the back of the motor. From what I can see it looks like the oil is coming from either the back of the oil pan or inside of the bellhousing. The weird thing is that first time I let the motor come up to operating temperature it just dripped for a while. The second time I brought the motor up to operating temp in poured a constant stream out about a quarter quart in five minutes. I tryed to find the oil leak and then started it up again and it only dripped. Any ideas on where it is coming from and why it seems to be slowing down?
Old 06-03-2006, 05:11 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
I just installed a ls2 402 and I have an oil leak coming from the the back of the motor. From what I can see it looks like the oil is coming from either the back of the oil pan or inside of the bellhousing. The weird thing is that first time I let the motor come up to operating temperature it just dripped for a while. The second time I brought the motor up to operating temp in poured a constant stream out about a quarter quart in five minutes. I tryed to find the oil leak and then started it up again and it only dripped. Any ideas on where it is coming from and why it seems to be slowing down?
Did you use a rear cover locating tool when you installed it. If not, the rear seal is not centered on the crankshaft and that is where the leak is coming from.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bg-sdpc
Did you use a rear cover locating tool when you installed it. If not, the rear seal is not centered on the crankshaft and that is where the leak is coming from.
I didn't know I needed to do that. Where can I get the locating tool? Should I go ahead and buy a new rear seal and replace it or will the other one still work?
Old 06-03-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

I would replace the seal. That one is going to be all goofed up. It took me like an hour to get the cover on with that dumb plastic thing that comes with the seal. SDPC show us this tool please.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found the locating tool and it is $300. I can't imagine that everyone is running out and buying this tool to install the rear cover so how is everyone else doing it?
Old 06-04-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
I found the locating tool and it is $300. I can't imagine that everyone is running out and buying this tool to install the rear cover so how is everyone else doing it?
They are a LSX specific tool that used to come in a kit from Kentmoore. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who had one, so I used it per the factory manual.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default leaks

Thats wierd rear cover came installed on my 402 leaked at first a few drips then quit leaking!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

I didn't use the rear cover locating tool (J-41476), but however I did use the dealer pan alignment tool (J-41480) on the rear cover (the tool that aligns the block and the front and rear cover) and then used the dealer rear seal installer tool (J-41479) to install the rear cover seal and mine works fine.

There is two tabs on the rear cover on each side of the crank. I took a feeler gauge and double checked the distance between the rear cover and crank on each side after the above procedure to make sure it was close to the same.

This was on an LS1, but the procedure and tools are the exact same on the LS2. I have done it this way twice with no problems.

Too bad your in PA, I'd lend mine to ya. I feel your pain though, I have ruined a seal before....

Quick Reply: Oil leak on new LS2