Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How much abuse can the LS7 Ti rods take?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much abuse can the LS7 Ti rods take?

I'm building up a turbocharged LS7, and plan to make 1000-1200hp at the crank. I would like to use the stock titanium rods and steel crankshaft, and replace the pistons with custom JE turbo pistons.

Rev limit will be same as stock.

Does anyone have experience making big power with the titanium rods?

Any concern about the block or crank?

Ryan
Old 12-18-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

I don't know of anybody who has pushed a factory untouched LS7 block and Ti rods that far. Talk to Jason at Katech. They have a nice mod for the rods + they may have their FI pistons for the LS7 ready. If not JE has already made some FI pistons for the shorter Ti rod... guess it depends on your static CR goals as to whether they have something ready to go for it.

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 12-18-2006, 08:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KUL FIR CHICK N
I'm building up a turbocharged LS7, and plan to make 1000-1200hp at the crank. I would like to use the stock titanium rods and steel crankshaft, and replace the pistons with custom JE turbo pistons.

Rev limit will be same as stock.

Does anyone have experience making big power with the titanium rods?

Any concern about the block or crank?

Ryan

We have off-road baja truck customers pushing 640-650hp on the Ti rod (rebushed) with no problems. Beyond that, we don't know if there is a failure point.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick reply. Although I have researched turbo engine design extensively, I have limited experience with running them. My understanding of rod durability is that it is mainly high rpm use that kills them. On a turbo motor, peak cylinder pressure is higher, but the main power gain comes from burning further down the stroke. I don't plan to rev the motor any higher than stock, and maybe even a little lower for durability.

Jason, what is the purpose of rebushing the rods? Are the stock ones bushed/floating pins?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks for the quick reply. Although I have researched turbo engine design extensively, I have limited experience with running them. My understanding of rod durability is that it is mainly high rpm use that kills them. On a turbo motor, peak cylinder pressure is higher, but the main power gain comes from burning further down the stroke. I don't plan to rev the motor any higher than stock, and maybe even a little lower for durability.

Jason, what is the purpose of rebushing the rods? Are the stock ones bushed/floating pins?
The stock ones have a split bushing. We replace that with a solid bronze high-modulus bushing. For increased power levels we wanted to change this.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Default Does this look right to you?

Jason,

The reason I asked the question is that I purchased a set recently, and plan to use them in my turbo application. I just received them, and now I am concerned that they are machined improperly. The rods that I am used to seeing have the bearing registers opposite each other on the big end. Please see attached photo and let me know if I got ripped off, or if this is correct.
Attached Thumbnails How much abuse can the LS7 Ti rods take?-tirod.jpg  
Old 01-02-2007, 10:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Jason,

The reason I asked the question is that I purchased a set recently, and plan to use them in my turbo application. I just received them, and now I am concerned that they are machined improperly. The rods that I am used to seeing have the bearing registers opposite each other on the big end. Please see attached photo and let me know if I got ripped off, or if this is correct.
Thats normal.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks, That's a relief.

Quick Reply: How much abuse can the LS7 Ti rods take?