Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

FAST w/LS6 vs L76 w/L92 on a stroker

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I can only assume your running a stock LS2 block with a 4.100 Eagle crank. In this instance, I would wait around awhile before i went with the L92's on a 4" bore. While magazine articales are nice, I don't lay alot of claim into them. These heads/intake are still very new to the market, and finding a cam that will work will also be a fun challenge. I'd wait for a few vendors to complete some testing on diffrent bore sizes and camshafts before you dumped your current combo. A ported FAST and a nice set of ported LS6's should easily make great power. If your chasing gremilin, get those worked out before you swap anything. Details on the motor would also be nice. (cam size, power, etc...)
Its not finding a cam to work with them, its finding a builder who can take your heads and rotating assembly and grind the cam to do what you want it to do. Max effort or daiyl torque monster etc. Bret Bauer I believe had his hands on a setup like this recently and produced what the customer wanted...

Unfortunatley we will see cam specs flying around here soon and everyone will jump on the bandwagon. Another reason why we have soo many internet know it alls yet none producing any respectable et slips to back up their knowledge.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
also I havent seen your curve.... 535rwhp with 26 degrees is good power..... but at what cost? what is the compression? I always thought that that much timing and those LS6 heads you would be needing non pump gas?? Am I off on this assumption?
Peak torque and everything below it is only a concern on pump gas. You can run pump gas on whatever as long as you can control the rattle up to peak torque. Peak torque is 100% VE and you can throw whatever you want to it after that for timing because VE drastically drops after peak torque. its all in a tune. Something that very few are really skilled at with pump gas.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Its not finding a cam to work with them, its finding a builder who can take your heads and rotating assembly and grind the cam to do what you want it to do. Max effort or daiyl torque monster etc. Bret Bauer I believe had his hands on a setup like this recently and produced what the customer wanted...

Unfortuantly, that's all we know. Who's to say what the goals were and if they were met power wise. The customer had no intentions of dynoing, so he's going purley off seat of the pants. Power could have been good, bad, or mediocre, but I guess we'll never know.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
his heads flow 305cfm..... stock untouch L92's flow 330cfm with no work. .

I think ALOT of people forget that regardless how many billion cfm your heads flow- that you are INTAKE LIMITED: which is one of the MAIN reasons I sold my ported 90/90 and AFR 225'S and went L92/L76.....

with a manifold ATTACHED these heads flow more than MOST GOOD Lsx heads do by themselves.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/602800-l92-flow-results-manifold.html
I think one of the main benifits of these heads/intake are it allows you to use a lot less cam and achieve the same results as we were used to previous to these heads being released.

If you WANT more power.... im sure you can go to a cam similiar in specs and gain more power if you wanted........ But if you were content (are we ever?) with your current power levels... I'D BET: that you could spec out something considerable smaller, and STILL have the same numbers you currently have (not to mention alot more drivibility imho)
Old 01-01-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dame
I think ALOT of people forget that regardless how many billion cfm your heads flow- that you are INTAKE LIMITED: which is one of the MAIN reasons I sold my ported 90/90 and AFR 225'S and went L92/L76.....

with a manifold ATTACHED these heads flow more than MOST GOOD Lsx heads do by themselves.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602800
I think one of the main benifits of these heads/intake are it allows you to use a lot less cam and achieve the same results as we were used to previous to these heads being released.

If you WANT more power.... im sure you can go to a cam similiar in specs and gain more power if you wanted........ But if you were content (are we ever?) with your current power levels... I'D BET: that you could spec out something considerable smaller, and STILL have the same numbers you currently have (not to mention alot more drivibility imho)
that is kinda what I was thinking... drop the compression to a more pump gas/bad gas friendly..... also run a smaller more drivable cam and get the same output... obviously if this is just out of the box numbers I assume that if you put the same effort in your big cam/LS6 head/90-90 combo you would achieve better results.

Considering an aftermarket valve from Rev is available... I would send these heads to someone like Huttos friend Chris or another SAM graduate (preferably someone with experiance in old school small blocks with hydrolic cams, since the I:E ratio is closer to that of an old school engine).....

Good luck!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the rant, I just took it the wrong way. When he said 414, I automatically thought of the LS2 combo's since most of them come in that cube range. You don't see to many people with .060" over iron blocks, so it was the farthest thing from my mind.
actually a .060" over iron block is more common then you think, i have a few friends with that much of a overbore, and have seen a few race cars that way too, although i dont see the point of that much overbore, unless its been rebuilt a few times.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

The L76/L92 stuff is to new to get all the info I want. Really nobody has before and after dyno charts if they do please post them
Old 01-02-2007, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jeremym
The L76/L92 stuff is to new to get all the info I want. Really nobody has before and after dyno charts if they do please post them
only 2 or three dynos so far... decent numbers but nothing near what you are doing. Most of the dynos are on LS2 engines with 4.00 bore..... to answer your comment... yes, everything is too new.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Like I said earlier, your numbers now are outstanding. Let a few people, like TSP and WCCH, finish up their CNC programs and then we will see some ported L92 results.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said earlier, your numbers now are outstanding. Let a few people, like TSP and WCCH, finish up their CNC programs and then we will see some ported L92 results.
Thanks man. You are right. When something new comes out that has to do with NA hp I am like a kid in toy r us.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

unfortunately the prelim numbers are VERY weak.

I say that because my porter aka Chris has already seen 370+ in R&D with about an hour of bowl work and a good valve job. Hasnt done anythint with the exhaust yet.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

unfortunately the prelim numbers are VERY weak. .

Please explain
Old 01-02-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=V6 Bird]unfortunately the prelim numbers are VERY weak.

535rwhp with 26* is weak. I think it is pretty good
Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't think he was talking about your power.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

yea i think he was talking about how the prelim numbers are in the 350ish cfm.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 AM
11 Second Club

unfortunately the prelim numbers are VERY weak.

What prelim numbers are you reffering to that are weak in your opinion?
Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think he was talking about your power.
well yeah that too for that compression..LOL I mean when you have a 347 that made close to 690 on the engine dyno (take away 20% conservatively even for a 6 speed) that the guy drives on the street everday, imagine what the builder could do with a larger cube motor. This is a yello belly car. Its a money maker on motor and has a kit on it too.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

What prelim numbers are you reffering to that are weak in your opinion?
I cant speak too loud about them, because they will cry. Ill let you make your own assumptions.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

I cant speak too loud about them, because they will cry. Ill let you make your own assumptions.
Edit...... your entitled to your opinion

Last edited by dame; 01-03-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Edit...... your entitled to your opinion
Definitely not about your setup bro. I like the goal you set and achieved with it.

Quick Reply: FAST w/LS6 vs L76 w/L92 on a stroker