Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Trailblazer SS Throttle Body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailblazer SS Throttle Body?

Does anyone know if the throttle body off of a 06-07 Trailblazer SS can be swapped with a LS2 throttle body off of a 05 and later GTO or Corvette? I want to do a ported/polished throttle body on my 07 Trailblazer SS but I want to keep my stock throttle body and there are not a lot of Trailblazer SS stock throttle body cores around. So I was thinking that since I am getting a dyno tune anyways that maybe a ported/polished throttle body off of a 05 or later GTO or Vette might do the trick.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSuperGoat
Does anyone know if the throttle body off of a 06-07 Trailblazer SS can be swapped with a LS2 throttle body off of a 05 and later GTO or Corvette? I want to do a ported/polished throttle body on my 07 Trailblazer SS but I want to keep my stock throttle body and there are not a lot of Trailblazer SS stock throttle body cores around. So I was thinking that since I am getting a dyno tune anyways that maybe a ported/polished throttle body off of a 05 or later GTO or Vette might do the trick.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help!
No. The TBSS uses a newer truck manifold and throttle body. Not the same as the LS2 GTO TB.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Katech
No. The TBSS uses a newer truck manifold and throttle body. Not the same as the LS2 GTO TB.
Thanks.

Do you know which other vehicles share the same throttle body with the TBSS?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks.

Do you know which other vehicles share the same throttle body with the TBSS?

Not exactly. Probably only newer trucks (06+ Silverado/Sierra/Yukon/Tahoe), but I haven't looked into it.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Just port the one on the truck it will help the response of the truck tremendously I did it and it works great! I can post a couple of pics if you like, very easy mod!

-Bryan
Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Jason, you sure about the "No" answer? While I realize the truck throttle bodies are "different" than the car throttle bodies, the bolt pattern is the same. Hell the guys next door to you at Vector have an LS2 car TB bolted on an LS2 truck intake right now (or did when I was there on saturday).

The only thing I'm unsure about is the electrical connector.

I'm not undermining you at all, hell you guys are the LSX masters...but I could've sworn that Kirk and Chris said you can do it. If I'm wrong, I appologize in advance.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by rocketman69
Jason, you sure about the "No" answer? While I realize the truck throttle bodies are "different" than the car throttle bodies, the bolt pattern is the same. Hell the guys next door to you at Vector have an LS2 car TB bolted on an LS2 truck intake right now (or did when I was there on saturday).

The only thing I'm unsure about is the electrical connector.

I'm not undermining you at all, hell you guys are the LSX masters...but I could've sworn that Kirk and Chris said you can do it. If I'm wrong, I appologize in advance.

I think the bolt pattern is the same. I'll know for sure when we tear down this TBSS I have now. We had problems with programming making the LS2 throttle body work with the truck harness over a year ago and we have not messed with it since. I haven't noticed if Vector solved it yet. I should walk my *** over there and take a look at their TBSS.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

Jason,
You're probably right on the programming. I don't think the connector is the same for both types of throttle bodies, but it does at least bolt up. I don't think Vector has actually installed one yet, but they were working on an LS2/LS7 style throttle body project on the TBSS some time ago....I never did hear how they made out with it. The one they have bolted up over there is just sitting on one of the long blocks that are stacked up against the wall.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone. I am very interested in what all options are out there for improving the throttle body situation on the TBSS. Although if tuning/electrical and harness connection problems are an issue I will probably stick with porting a stock throttle body.

Katech, please keep us posted on what you find and figure out as your tear down the TBSS you are working on now. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I am very interested in what all options are out there for improving the throttle body situation on the TBSS. Although if tuning/electrical and harness connection problems are an issue I will probably stick with porting a stock throttle body.

Katech, please keep us posted on what you find and figure out as your tear down the TBSS you are working on now. Thanks!

I've actually put a LS2 TB on a Trailblazer SS and didn't have any issues at all. In fact theres another one here with one on a magnacharged setup. The bolt pattern and the connectors are the same. The only problem is the electronics hit most CAI as it takes up the area where that tight radius is to stay under hte engine cover.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another swing and a miss!

If your "race car hauler" was originally equipped with the 90mm TB then you can infact use the C5/GTO 90 MM TB. Infact you may find you have to with certain power adders

Dave
Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Fbody99
Another swing and a miss!

If your "race car hauler" was originally equipped with the 90mm TB then you can infact use the C5/GTO 90 MM TB. Infact you may find you have to with certain power adders

Dave
C5? Wouldn't it be C6?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Had a TBSS tb on my C6 for 6months (F.I. + fast intake = stock t.b. would not fit)... We found out it had issues on long pulls (closing, voltage issue) so changed again, had to do a lot of fab work and now run the stock T.B. upside down... So they do work on a C6, and that leads me to believe that they will also work the other way...
Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by rocketman69
Jason,
You're probably right on the programming. I don't think the connector is the same for both types of throttle bodies, but it does at least bolt up. I don't think Vector has actually installed one yet, but they were working on an LS2/LS7 style throttle body project on the TBSS some time ago....I never did hear how they made out with it. The one they have bolted up over there is just sitting on one of the long blocks that are stacked up against the wall.

Ok, just got the latest. Neither Katech nor Vector Motorsports has successfully used an LS2 throttle body on a Gen 3 truck harness/computer. The Gen 4 truck manifold is the same bolt pattern as the LS2 and Vector has succesfully used an LS2 throttle body on a 06 TBSS. I also saw the truck manifold you saw with the LS2 throttle body on it that made you think that. The connector on the 06+ is also the same so it doesn't require an adapter harness. Extensive programming is required however to get it to work.

So:
2006+ TBSS/Sierra/Silverado/Yukon/Tahoe will work with LS2/7 TB
2005 prior Gen 3 trucks will not work with the LS2/7 TB - could potentially work if you changed the pedal, TAC module and harness
Old 02-01-2007, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, just got the latest. Neither Katech nor Vector Motorsports has successfully used an LS2 throttle body on a Gen 3 truck harness/computer. The Gen 4 truck manifold is the same bolt pattern as the LS2 and Vector has succesfully used an LS2 throttle body on a 06 TBSS. I also saw the truck manifold you saw with the LS2 throttle body on it that made you think that. The connector on the 06+ is also the same so it doesn't require an adapter harness. Extensive programming is required however to get it to work.

So:
2006+ TBSS/Sierra/Silverado/Yukon/Tahoe will work with LS2/7 TB
2005 prior Gen 3 trucks will not work with the LS2/7 TB - could potentially work if you changed the pedal, TAC module and harness
Ok, that's what I figured. The author of this thread was asking if the GTO throttle body would work on his '07 TrailBlazer SS, so that was what I was trying to answer. I never considered the swap to an older truck harness, but at least now we know not to. Thanks for verifying everything Jason.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used the C6/GTO/Z06 throttle body on my 2005 SSR and have one on order for my 07 TBSS right now. It should be here next week and finished. The only issue with the conversion is that the C6/GTO/Z06 throttle body will be missing about3 degrees of movement on the top end. It still flows more air the the SSR/TBSS throttle body and is crisper on the low end. I will post the results next week.

Quick Reply: Trailblazer SS Throttle Body?