Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 DynoJet Numbers Plus Plan B, C, D, E and F...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is, they should ban it from the dictionary.

Those kind of bad words aren't needed when Kevin is spending his money.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Kevin, I can't wait to see the reincarnation of the GMans cruiser with an additional 20 rwhp (and possibly a good bit more) after the resleeving, and head work is done. Your killer combo should become an even sicker Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde. That is all based on how heavy your right foot is while driving this GMans Cruiser.

Just for clarification, I think Kevin refers to his car as a gentlemans cruiser because he doesn't go to the track, he just cruises. Also his car is making a ton of hp/tq yet has great manners and impeccable drivability, also a stealthy exhaust note, not the raucous racecar sound *even though he has race car power! Hence gentlemans cruiser.

Kevin correct me if I'm wrong.

What kind of power are you hoping for 550ish and 500+ rwhp/rwtq?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Well Kevin, I can't wait to see the reincarnation of the GMans cruiser with an additional 20 rwhp (and possibly a good bit more) after the resleeving, and head work is done. Your killer combo should become an even sicker Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde. That is all based on how heavy your right foot is while driving this GMans Cruiser.

Just for clarification, I think Kevin refers to his car as a gentlemans cruiser because he doesn't go to the track, he just cruises. Also his car is making a ton of hp/tq yet has great manners and impeccable drivability, also a stealthy exhaust note, not the raucous racecar sound *even though he has race car power! Hence gentlemans cruiser.

Kevin correct me if I'm wrong.

What kind of power are you hoping for 550ish and 500+ rwhp/rwtq?
Doug, you're pretty much right. The term Gentleman's Cruiser was really my eccentric father's from many years ago. He used it to refer to his Rolls Coupe. I took it to mean an extreme vehicle but ultimately refined and understated. Everything we've done along the way has been an experiment to see what could be done with the L92 heads to make good power. Little tweaks along the way have brought us to 521/480. Not the most - but that was never my intention. It may however be the best 521/480 in driving quality and average power. There is a post in this thread from SIDESTEP after he road in the car of his very positive impression.

It is a wolf in sheep's clothing from the color to the quiet Ti exhaust. So here we have WKMCD's extreme vehicle but ultimately refined and understated.

With VA Speed and WCCH help we're just going to make it a little more extreme but still understated and provide as much information as possible and a little entertainment to this forum along the way..

Last edited by WKMCD; 12-29-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well lets keep it quiet and add some cutouts for the times you want it to sound wild vs adding that catback you pm'd me about.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to the latest setup Kevin!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Well lets keep it quiet and add some cutouts for the times you want it to sound wild vs adding that catback you pm'd me about.
I already have a "LOUD" button on the dash. DMH Low profiles went on shortly after I switched back to the Ti's. BTW: The Ti's cost me about 12RWHP so they are much more restrictive than people think.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh ok Kevin. I forgot you do have those already. Well then based on my experience with only picking up .25 rwhp and .11 rwtq by opening my DMH cutouts vs being closed and having the exhaust run through the LGM big 3 you'll find some of that missing hp you mention. ON the flip side IMO the LGM big 3 isn't going to improve your exhaust note much if any "based on our PM conversation and what you are looking for" in comparison to the Ti system you have. It will however flow a lot better and give back the 12 rwhp and maybe even more. All of LGM's testing was done on a c5zo6 with the g5x3 cam if I remember correctly and going from Ti's to the big 3 showed a very healthy gain and that was with only 346 ci's, so I'd infer that your 403 will do even better. The lgm big 3 catback is a nice piece, just not loud enough for me. That is why I drive around with the cutouts open most of the time. The lgm big 3 does one other thing too, helps me stay on my neighbors good side when I leave at 6 am and come home at 2,3, or 4 am, LOL !!!! Good luck with your new project. Hopefully my ramblings help you make your decision. Later Bro.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

So why'd the first motor fail a leak down so quickly? I mean you're not beating the **** out of it at the road course or 1/4 mile?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
So why'd the first motor fail a leak down so quickly? I mean you're not beating the **** out of it at the road course or 1/4 mile?
Not really sure. Shawn should be able to give us a better idea when he pulls it down. He didn't build the 403. I got this 403 from SDPC less than 15k ago. It did have a lot of dyno pulls on it.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Not really sure. Shawn should be able to give us a better idea when he pulls it down. He didn't build the 403. I got this 403 from SDPC less than 15k ago. It did have a lot of dyno pulls on it.
I can tell you right now,but i'm not interested in opening that can of worms
Old 12-30-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
I can tell you right now,but i'm not interested in opening that can of worms
I agree, there's nothing to be gained by it. We're moving on.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

was it still making good power when it failed the leak down? I remember an engine builder buddy in sydney had 2 customers with same spec rb30 turbos one had a higher percentage leak down then the other by a marginal amount, but it continued to be consistent and always run more mph then the motor with less leak down.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hymey
was it still making good power when it failed the leak down? I remember an engine builder buddy in sydney had 2 customers with same spec rb30 turbos one had a higher percentage leak down then the other by a marginal amount, but it continued to be consistent and always run more mph then the motor with less leak down.
521/480 with 25% leak down in a couple of cylinder and 10-15% or so in a few others. I've been told that you can make power if the leakage is at the valves but this engine has always had too much crankcase pressure.

Last edited by WKMCD; 12-31-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hymey
can't really compare turbo engines to n/a engines-you can pickup hp on an n/a motor that has good leakdown numbers.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats very true in general sense, but how much hp did it lose?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Curiously it never lost any along the way. One thing the car has always been very consistent on the dyno over the past couple of years. It may well have been like this all along.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

I am so glad for threads like this, I can't believe i read three years of development lol.....I've been wanting a set of heads for the longest time..... now thanks to the L92's and all the R/D from you guys, i could afford something that will achieve my goals, and not break the bank.

Keep us updated Kevin, and good luck with your new set up....
Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing to remember is these were the first L92 CNCed heads from WCCH IN THE COUNTRY. Richard has furthered refined the ports (plus they're getting some other added bennies, but I'll let them talk about that). Along with Shawn's block work, it should pick up substantially, never mind the added cubes!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
One thing to remember is these were the first L92 CNCed heads from WCCH IN THE COUNTRY. Richard has furthered refined the ports (plus they're getting some other added bennies, but I'll let them talk about that). Along with Shawn's block work, it should pick up substantially, never mind the added cubes!
thought you were on vacation?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
thought you were on vacation?
Ed sets up some tuning in Europe when he wants a vacation...

Quick Reply: L92 DynoJet Numbers Plus Plan B, C, D, E and F...