Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help me choose a cam!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Help me choose a cam!

I'm in the process of a LS2 based ~385ci motor being built by Canadian Performance.

Forged Callies rotating with forged 10cc pistons.

Just ordered T/F 225 heads at ~60cc's, aiming for low 11:1 compression & w/ high lift springs.

Prefer something in the 114 area, as I do what the motor street-able but with a small 'lope'. I’m may infrequently ram some funny gas down its throat for some extra fun at the track once or twice a year. Not looking to break records at the track or the dyno. I always had a thing for a high revving motor, henceforth the lower stroke. Planning on a 72-7400rpm, depending how the torque tails off at that rpm.

I usually wouldn't have any problems coming up with a cam, but between the T/F's unique flow characteristics and a high revving motor; I suspect it'll make the typical cam profile questionable.

Love to hear everyone's suggestions before I buy one in the next few days!

p.s. I also would like to take this opportunity to personally thank Dave at Canadian Performance. He's been very accommodating and flexible through this motor build. Finding a tuner in this business who conducts himself with integrity, flexibility and shares your passion for this insane sport makes it all worthwhile!
Dave buddy, u da man! :thumbs:
Old 03-16-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of intake are you planning on running? Typically the composite intakes we are blessed(sarcasm) with will force peak in the mid 6K region. You can spec a cam to allow it to hold good power out to 7200-7400, but the peak kinda seems stuck in that area.

As far as the 114, don't get hung up on that. Overlap=lope, not LSA=lope. To run a cam that will complement the RPM's you are wanting to run, you are going to have plenty of overlap, even with a 115-116. I am NOT saying to run something like that, I was just giving an example.

If you have had a good expereince with Dave, why not let him spec your cam out? If not him, find someone you TRUST and let them spec it for you. It is what I did, and even though it may cost me $50 more, in my opinion that is the best money I could have spent. $50 for insurance on having a kickass motor over a slug=well worth it!!

Good luck and would love to see her run!!

P.S. stock stroke and 4.10 bore??
Old 03-16-2007, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
What type of intake are you planning on running? Typically the composite intakes we are blessed(sarcasm) with will force peak in the mid 6K region. You can spec a cam to allow it to hold good power out to 7200-7400, but the peak kinda seems stuck in that area.

As far as the 114, don't get hung up on that. Overlap=lope, not LSA=lope. To run a cam that will complement the RPM's you are wanting to run, you are going to have plenty of overlap, even with a 115-116. I am NOT saying to run something like that, I was just giving an example.

If you have had a good expereince with Dave, why not let him spec your cam out? If not him, find someone you TRUST and let them spec it for you. It is what I did, and even though it may cost me $50 more, in my opinion that is the best money I could have spent. $50 for insurance on having a kickass motor over a slug=well worth it!!

Good luck and would love to see her run!!

P.S. stock stroke and 4.10 bore??
Going to go with a Fast Intake, with 90mm TB and 100mm LPE MAF & stock bore on the block.

Dave does have a suggestion on a cam that I'd wager will work well, but cams are a pain to change once in a C5, so I want to get a general consensus from this forum. Never hurts to consider options.
There's some very knowledgable people on this forum.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, there are a few. You will get suggestions that are ALL over the place!!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would use a straight pattern cam with the strong intake to exhaust ratio & the strong low lift flow numbers of these heads(This was suggested to me from my cam grinder). My cousin's new cam for his 402 is spec'd out at :
Advetised Duration 284/284
@0.050" Duration 244/244
LSA 110*
ICL 108*
Lift w/1.7 rocker .629"/.629"

This cam will have extremely strong mid rpm torque and should peak at about 6600 rpm for the HP.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tlaselva
I'm in the process of a LS2 based ~385ci motor being built by Canadian Performance.

Forged Callies rotating with forged 10cc pistons.

Just ordered T/F 225 heads at ~60cc's, aiming for low 11:1 compression & w/ high lift springs.

Prefer something in the 114 area, as I do what the motor street-able but with a small 'lope'. I’m may infrequently ram some funny gas down its throat for some extra fun at the track once or twice a year. Not looking to break records at the track or the dyno. I always had a thing for a high revving motor, henceforth the lower stroke. Planning on a 72-7400rpm, depending how the torque tails off at that rpm.

I usually wouldn't have any problems coming up with a cam, but between the T/F's unique flow characteristics and a high revving motor; I suspect it'll make the typical cam profile questionable.

Love to hear everyone's suggestions before I buy one in the next few days!

p.s. I also would like to take this opportunity to personally thank Dave at Canadian Performance. He's been very accommodating and flexible through this motor build. Finding a tuner in this business who conducts himself with integrity, flexibility and shares your passion for this insane sport makes it all worthwhile!
Dave buddy, u da man! :thumbs:
Thanks Tony for the kind words. Every customer of mine is important and I take everyones needs and build/tune to their specs and budget. My goal is to keep everyone happy and to build long relationships!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1997bird
I would use a straight pattern cam with the strong intake to exhaust ratio & the strong low lift flow numbers of these heads(This was suggested to me from my cam grinder). My cousin's new cam for his 402 is spec'd out at :
Advetised Duration 284/284
@0.050" Duration 244/244
LSA 110*
ICL 108*
Lift w/1.7 rocker .629"/.629"

This cam will have extremely strong mid rpm torque and should peak at about 6600 rpm for the HP.

Don't forget it is only a 385ish cube, and we will run a touch of spray, maybe a 150 Tony? So we will need a split. The intake lobe will be in the 230's @50 and the exhaust will be in the 240's @50. The comp is 11.01:1 so with these specs I got the DCR up to 8.25...Not bad... In about a year we might put on a Novi 2000, so we are keeping the comp low now so with a head gasket change we can keep the heads and boost it. Looking forward to this buildup with these Trick Flow heads!!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLED28
Don't forget it is only a 385ish cube, and we will run a touch of spray, maybe a 150 Tony? So we will need a split. The intake lobe will be in the 230's @50 and the exhaust will be in the 240's @50. The comp is 11.01:1 so with these specs I got the DCR up to 8.25...Not bad... In about a year we might put on a Novi 2000, so we are keeping the comp low now so with a head gasket change we can keep the heads and boost it. Looking forward to this buildup with these Trick Flow heads!!
I understand your statement, I was just showing a referance on my cousin's N/A car. I could try to come up with a cam that I think would would work, but I am not a cam grinder and will leave that to a professional.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

I hear what your saying, and that is a pretty avg cam for a 402 and will make power everytime, that is a good choice. I beleive our cam selection was within 2 degrees of a cam recommended by Comp themselves.
Dave
Old 03-30-2007, 02:52 AM
11 Second Club

wouldnt you want a 110 or so LSA with a higher revving engine?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

Its more the duration that makes it rev out higher.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tony/Dave,

You guys are going with 11to1 compression on a NOVI 2000 BLower motor! WOW, that will make some STUPID POWER with minimal boost (which is probably the idea if that is what you guys are doing).

How many lbs of boost you going to run? (12lbs). Seems like really high compression but it will make STUPID power with less boost if that is the case.

I also agree DAVE at Canadian Perf. who has been giving my some killer quotes on an engine build is a TOP NOTCH TUNER/ENGINE BUILDER whose customer service REALLY ROCKS and who really knows what he is doing!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

Thankyou Underboss!! Plans have changed... We're dropping the compression and going Novi 2000 this year instead of next year. It probably would be 12lbs, we're not looking for every last drop, just a reliabley de-tuned 700-750rwhp daily driver with no probs driving past the cops...Its pretty strict up here.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

Old 04-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLED28
Thankyou Underboss!! Plans have changed... We're dropping the compression and going Novi 2000 this year instead of next year. It probably would be 12lbs, we're not looking for every last drop, just a reliabley de-tuned 700-750rwhp daily driver with no probs driving past the cops...Its pretty strict up here.
Good luck with your new set-up Tony. It gets old having the police follow you home at night. That is why I put my Ti exhaust and high flow cats back on.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a cam!