Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 -> 427ci build

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 -> 427ci build

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and live in Melbourne, Australia.

I was looking into purchasing a LS7 427ci crate motor but at $28000aus they are too pricey complete and due to our power to weight restrictions I cannot put this in my car and drive it on the road legally.

I have been offered a very good deal on a brand new HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) LS2 crate motor (300kw) with all accessories, loom, computer and Auto transmission. An absolute bargain!!!

Now since I'm new to LS1-LS7 engines and components I'm after some advice on what i want to achieve with this engine and the conversion i'm doing.

Basically I'm going to put the motor and box in as is, get it engineered and registered so its legal on our roads. Once done I can then take the motor out and change the internals to the application which I want. Stupid I know, but thats the law!

Anyways I'd like to know what needs to be done to the LS2 block to allow for the fitment of a 427ci balanced crank and rod assembly?

Also i'd like to keep the standard heads (L92 i believe?) but obviously they may need to be decked, machined bored out etc etc??

The camshaft on the other hand... I would like to use something streetable, but do want a nice LUMP.

I assume the standard throttle body will be ok as its 90mm (as per the standard LS7 motor) and the manfold etc will be ok.

Any help, links, advice and recommended parts would be greatly appreciated. I will post up pics of the chasis and full vehicle very soon.

Cheers

George
Melbourne, Australia.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do they actually check the power to know it exceeds any laws?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AaronR
Do they actually check the power to know it exceeds any laws?
NO they don't check the power but if i purchased a LS7 engine, going by the engine numbers it would not meet the Aus power to weight law requirements for my vehicle. Because that engine number would say that I was driving a car with 427ci, and the engineer would not pass it.

In my vehicle I can legally fit any engine up to 396ci going by the engine numbers. Once its engineered with a legal engine, you can then modify the motor and make more power.... Its really stupid I know, but thats the law, and I want to do it right the first time.

Last edited by LS7HSVWAGON; 04-03-2007 at 08:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 PM
9 Second Club

Well, with a stock LS2 block (364) and a 4" crank, you would be over the limit BUT, they wouldnt know unless they had a P&G checker...

go for the 402 if you have to play the numbers game...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nmp27
Well, with a stock LS2 block (364) and a 4" crank, you would be over the limit BUT, they wouldnt know unless they had a P&G checker...

Yeah once the thing passes engineers and is registered on the roads its fine.

They are not gonna open up the engine and check.

Is it possible to squeeze a 427 crank etc in the LS2 alloy block?
With the 402, is any grinding or clearancing required?

Cheers heaps!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your not going to be able to squeeze out a 427 without resleeving the block, which is the most expensive portion. The LS2 can be taken out to a 418 without any sleeving. You would need a Eagle 4.100 crank, a set of 6.125" rods, and the appropriate pistons for a 4.030" bore. It will need to be bored/honed and clearenced for the longer crank throw. FWIW, the LS2 comes with LS6 heads, which would need to be ported and have the chambers opened up to match the bore. A FAST 90mm intake manifold would also be a good investment as the LS2 stock intake is not that great. As for a cam, something in the 23X/24X 113 LSA range would be nice and streetable.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forget a stock LS7 motor its a dog compared to what the aftermarket offers. Here is your best bit for 550rwhp. Its a sleeved LS2 Katech block making 427 cubes and here is a tuner in Canada who is top notch and offer the complete assembled rotating assembly for $6,999.00

Here is what i jsut posted in this on another thread and this would be a great way for you to go and make HUGE POWER:

$6,999.00 for the assembled short block with rotating assembly and top notch forged components!

This exact same KATECH sleeved LS2 427 block can be purchased from SLED/DAVE of Canadian Performance who has posted above who makes one HECK of a KILLER LS series motor!

Here is a post from SLED/DAVE and his website earlier in this thread setting forth the KILLER PARTS that conists of ths Katech LS2 427 shortlbock that he offers for $6,999.00

http://www.cdnperf.com/page6.html

Katech Sleeved LS2 4.125" Bore Block
Callies Compstar 4.000" Stroke Crankshaft
Callies Compstar 6.125" Forged Rods
Wiseco forged 2618 Pistons & Moly Rings
Clevitte H-Series Bearings
ARP Main Studs
Internally Balanced Rotating Assembly
Assembled Short Block

$6,999.00

Hard to beat Callies and Wiseco products!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

unless you want to run LS7 heads then there is no reason to go with the bigger bore as its very expensive. best bet is to use the stock heads but have them ported and just stroke the thing way on out.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slow95z
unless you want to run LS7 heads then there is no reason to go with the bigger bore as its very expensive. best bet is to use the stock heads but have them ported and just stroke the thing way on out.
That's not completly true. Opening the bore on the motor allows you to open the combustion chamber on the head. This will unshroud the valves and allow that head to perform better. You don't have to have a set of LS7 heads to take advantage of the bigger bore. The LS7 head isn't the "end all" head anyway. There are plenty of affordable "big bore" options for heads out there. As for the secong comment, why stroke the motor to the max amount of cubes if you just going to put a set of ported stock castings on it that will just choke it down?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chicago Crew UnderBoss
Forget a stock LS7 motor its a dog compared to what the aftermarket offers. Here is your best bit for 550rwhp. Its a sleeved LS2 Katech block making 427 cubes and here is a tuner in Canada who is top notch and offer the complete assembled rotating assembly for $6,999.00

Here is what i jsut posted in this on another thread and this would be a great way for you to go and make HUGE POWER:

$6,999.00 for the assembled short block with rotating assembly and top notch forged components!

This exact same KATECH sleeved LS2 427 block can be purchased from SLED/DAVE of Canadian Performance who has posted above who makes one HECK of a KILLER LS series motor!

Here is a post from SLED/DAVE and his website earlier in this thread setting forth the KILLER PARTS that conists of ths Katech LS2 427 shortlbock that he offers for $6,999.00

http://www.cdnperf.com/page6.html

Katech Sleeved LS2 4.125" Bore Block
Callies Compstar 4.000" Stroke Crankshaft
Callies Compstar 6.125" Forged Rods
Wiseco forged 2618 Pistons & Moly Rings
Clevitte H-Series Bearings
ARP Main Studs
Internally Balanced Rotating Assembly
Assembled Short Block

$6,999.00

Hard to beat Callies and Wiseco products!
Thats a killer combo.... and a good price at under $9000 Aus...

I'm picking up the entire engine and box combo for $4000US so thats why i'm trying to suss out reasonable power increase options with the current block...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Your not going to be able to squeeze out a 427 without resleeving the block, which is the most expensive portion. The LS2 can be taken out to a 418 without any sleeving. You would need a Eagle 4.100 crank, a set of 6.125" rods, and the appropriate pistons for a 4.030" bore. It will need to be bored/honed and clearenced for the longer crank throw. FWIW, the LS2 comes with LS6 heads, which would need to be ported and have the chambers opened up to match the bore. A FAST 90mm intake manifold would also be a good investment as the LS2 stock intake is not that great. As for a cam, something in the 23X/24X 113 LSA range would be nice and streetable.
Cheers heaps for that info Beast... I shall look into the price for those components over here, but i'm sure if i got them shipped from ths states it would be heaps cheaper. It would be silly spending mega $$$ on resleeving etc for an extra 9ci.. I'm sure something with that combo you have suggested would make good HP. Any ideas what horse power figure we would be talking at the crank?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by nmp27

Yep! And you can get away with about 5 cubes less on the P&G's... So call the 402 a 395 and your inside the cube limit

Quick Reply: LS2 -> 427ci build