Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Convince me to build LS instead of BBC!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007 | 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the LSX blocks aren't in any way better than BBC, then the original poster would not have posted here. There would be no question. Duh.

GM wouldn't have created another generation of engine design had they thought the Gen 1 & 2 were suffice for performance demands yet to come.

Everyone stop hating on all the different engines and what not. It's stupid to argue over such things. With that being said, understand that the LS series was created to go into the Corvette and the late model F-Bodies. Not the 1970 Chevelle, however, because of it's success, and as a cheap alternative, other cars have evolved in order to fit the LS nicely, including new model GM vehicles. (Not just the old muscle cars, either.)

I'm not going to argue w/ you guys about lifters, heads, valves, CFM, and all that stuff cause I know NOTHING about BBC specs and their ups and downs. But I do know this..the future is in LS series, not oldschool BBC's.

Another thing for the original poster..the LS would be different. If you were at a show and you had a 70' Chevelle w/ a BBC, I'd walk by and say..that's nice (in my head)..if you had the LSX setup, I'd have to stop and actually tell you how great your car is combining 40 years of Chevy legacy into one package.

LS7 heads can flow up to about 400CFM, and they can be had for $1700 bucks fully assembled. If you cant reach 650 fwhp w/ 427CI NA and 400CFM, something is wrong with you, your builder, or your tuner..or all three. FI - obviously LS motors can offer more than you can handle and still give you driveability, great fuel comsuption, quiet operation (optional), and cool factor. Just remember what the LS7 was based from..the C5R, which is GM's flagship performance vehicle. It's better than everything else, at least that's what GM thinks.
Old 11-10-2007 | 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

an LSX project? its essentially an iron big block at a great price
Old 11-10-2007 | 06:32 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input but im set on a BBC... power adder is what im trying to decide on now...
Old 11-10-2007 | 06:55 PM
Launching!

Nitrous with a progressive controller. At marginal tracks, turbo and supercharged guys have no way to knock power down off the line and bring it back downtrack unless they have a sophisticated waste gate controller and even then it'll be iffy. If it's greasy and hot, they'll blow the tires off at the hit of the throttle, race over (most of the time). With spray, you can leave N/A and bring the nitrous on as you think the track can handle it. As long as your engine is built and tuned for it and you're not hitting more than about a 250 shot, you should be set, IMHO.
Old 11-10-2007 | 09:08 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input... as of now i think im between nitrous and a procharger... twin turbos wuld be perfect if not for the money and fabrication standpoint... i like nitrous because its cheaper than a procharger but i like a procharger because i can always expand in the future with an i/c and more boost... with nitrous, after a 200 shot thats pretty much the limit of the engine..

can somebody comment on my idea of pulling the belts and piping or getting a big pulley and bleeding off boost ? this wuld be for my street tune and i want to know if this is do-able.. this way i dont have to deal with extra injectors for race fuel and all that...
Old 11-11-2007 | 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
If the LSX blocks aren't in any way better than BBC, then the original poster would not have posted here. There would be no question. Duh.

GM wouldn't have created another generation of engine design had they thought the Gen 1 & 2 were suffice for performance demands yet to come.

Everyone stop hating on all the different engines and what not. It's stupid to argue over such things. With that being said, understand that the LS series was created to go into the Corvette and the late model F-Bodies. Not the 1970 Chevelle, however, because of it's success, and as a cheap alternative, other cars have evolved in order to fit the LS nicely, including new model GM vehicles. (Not just the old muscle cars, either.)

I'm not going to argue w/ you guys about lifters, heads, valves, CFM, and all that stuff cause I know NOTHING about BBC specs and their ups and downs. But I do know this..the future is in LS series, not oldschool BBC's.

Another thing for the original poster..the LS would be different. If you were at a show and you had a 70' Chevelle w/ a BBC, I'd walk by and say..that's nice (in my head)..if you had the LSX setup, I'd have to stop and actually tell you how great your car is combining 40 years of Chevy legacy into one package.

LS7 heads can flow up to about 400CFM, and they can be had for $1700 bucks fully assembled. If you cant reach 650 fwhp w/ 427CI NA and 400CFM, something is wrong with you, your builder, or your tuner..or all three. FI - obviously LS motors can offer more than you can handle and still give you driveability, great fuel comsuption, quiet operation (optional), and cool factor. Just remember what the LS7 was based from..the C5R, which is GM's flagship performance vehicle. It's better than everything else, at least that's what GM thinks.
Don't think anyone was arguing or hating, just giving opinions on what they would do and why.

It also boils down to cash $$$. A 427ci putting down 650 FWHP is going to cost more than say Shafiroffs 582ci with 825 FWHP for $12K....complete.....that will as rape the 426ci LSx.....and, ONCE AGAIN for the 10th time.....the BBC will last longer and be much more reliable...especially as a 5,000 mile a year car that is basically gonna be driven on weekends for fun.

And its just your opinion that you wouldn't really get all crazy about a '70 Chevelle with a BBC in it. Well believe me, alot more people think its GAY to put an LSx engine in an old school muscle car. TO EACH HIS OWN.

Also, 650 FWHP in an LSx engine hardly needs 400cfm heads, that power level was had 5 years ago with LS1 and LS6 heads. The new mark everyone is reaching for is 650-700 RWHP with LS7 top ends.

If he was going to use it for a daily driver and not just a fun car on weekends, I'd tell him to have a GM iron blocked LSX, LS7 heads and a sheet metal intake. 650 RWHP easy. Or go with ETP canted Valve heads and close in on 700 RWHP...with good streetability. Then spray it. But thats gonna be $18,000-$20,000.

Old 11-11-2007 | 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gearhead1186
thanks for the input but im set on a BBC... power adder is what im trying to decide on now...
Big giant single turbo on the 540ci

Old 11-11-2007 | 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

can somebody comment on my idea of pulling the belts and piping or getting a big pulley and bleeding off boost ? this wuld be for my street tune and i want to know if this is do-able.. this way i dont have to deal with extra injectors for race fuel and all that...
If you want an answert to that question....call NRE. www.nelsonracingengines.com

He will tell you how to do it if its even a good idea or he will tell you a way to do what you want with a BBC and forced induction.

Old 11-11-2007 | 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with nitrous, after a 200 shot thats pretty much the limit of the engine..
Why would you think a 200 is the limit? Arent you planning a 540 inch motor? That motor would swallow up a 400 shot no problemo. Actually, with good tuning, and a well engineered system, you could spray 500 wothout too many worries.
The bigger the motor, the more you can spray safely. A 200 shot would be nothing for a 540 inch motor.
Yes you would need race gas, but at those power levels, regardless how you get there, you pretty much need race gas anyways.
Old 11-11-2007 | 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Why would you think a 200 is the limit? Arent you planning a 540 inch motor? That motor would swallow up a 400 shot no problemo. Actually, with good tuning, and a well engineered system, you could spray 500 wothout too many worries.
The bigger the motor, the more you can spray safely. A 200 shot would be nothing for a 540 inch motor.
Yes you would need race gas, but at those power levels, regardless how you get there, you pretty much need race gas anyways.
i didnt know i could go that big.. i thought there would be alot more involoved with a bigger shot like that. however, for arguments sake, i wouldnt need race gas to run the same amount of power with a procharger... low compression motor with 8-10lbs of boost.. then in the future add an intercooler and even more boost...

i guess what im trying to find out is the possibility of pulling piping belts or bleeding off boost for a street tune...
Old 11-11-2007 | 12:54 PM
Banned

i didnt know i could go that big.. i thought there would be alot more involoved with a bigger shot like that. however, for arguments sake, i wouldnt need race gas to run the same amount of power with a procharger... low compression motor with 8-10lbs of boost.. then in the future add an intercooler and even more boost...

i guess what im trying to find out is the possibility of pulling piping belts or bleeding off boost for a street tune...
WHY? Build a big nitrous motor, set it up with timing retard, and go with it. Then, its already tuned for the 'street', and all you have to do is open the bottle, and when you nail it, it automatically retards the ignition. No pullin parts or funny crap like that.
Old 11-11-2007 | 01:05 PM
On The Tree

but with that setup i either have to run race gas when i go to the track... or run 8 more injectors and have a dedicated race gas tank for my nitrous...

i dont want to deal with 8 more injectors and all the added complexity that goes with that..

i would love to do all this on pump gas.. this is why the procharger would be ideal.. just want to kno if anybody pulls the belt, pipe, bleeds boost or what not for street driving

Last edited by gearhead1186; 11-11-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2007 | 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

i would love to do all this on pump gas.. this is why the procharger would be ideal.. just want to do if anybody pulls the belt, pipe, bleeds boost or what not for street driving
You might be the first to do this It just doesn't work like that, but anything can be done, I've learned that.

Old 11-11-2007 | 01:35 PM
Banned

but with that setup i either have to run race gas when i go to the track... or run 8 more injectors and have a dedicated race gas tank for my nitrous...

i dont want to deal with 8 more injectors and all the added complexity that goes with that..

i would love to do all this on pump gas.. this is why the procharger would be ideal.. just want to do if anybody pulls the belt, pipe, bleeds boost or what not for street driving
You dont want to deal with the complexity of 8 more injectors, but you wanna setup that you have to take apart and put back together?
OOOOKKKAAYYY........
People run fogger systems all the time. Yeah, you'd have to fill up with race gas to run at the track. Nothing anymore complicated than takin **** apart and putting it back together all the time.
Do you have any idea what kinda $$ you're talkin? Do your parents know you're on the computer?
Sorry, but alot of this thread sounds ridiculous. You sound like a real young kid thats just dreamin.
Old 11-11-2007 | 03:56 PM
On The Tree

ahh i knew it wouldnt be long before one of your type shows up...

lets see whats more complex... having 16 injectors with two fuel systems and dealing with an ecm that handles that or pulling off a carb hat, and pulley and putting an air cleaner on... hmmmm that is a pickle..

if one of my goals are not to use race gas why cant you respect that and comment on other options instead throwing out juvenile comments like that... shows your maturity..

in over a years time, running a 400 shot, filling up on race gas and refilling nitrous bottles everytime you go to the track will cost more than a procharger... so yes i do know how much money im talking about
Old 11-11-2007 | 04:30 PM
Banned

ahh i knew it wouldnt be long before one of your type shows up...

lets see whats more complex... having 16 injectors with two fuel systems and dealing with an ecm that handles that or pulling off a carb hat, and pulley and putting an air cleaner on... hmmmm that is a pickle..

if one of my goals are not to use race gas why cant you respect that and comment on other options instead throwing out juvenile comments like that... shows your maturity..

in over a years time, running a 400 shot, filling up on race gas and refilling nitrous bottles everytime you go to the track will cost more than a procharger... so yes i do know how much money im talking about
Juvenile comments like what? You sound like a kid? You do.
And as for 16 injectors, you only need 8. You can buy a fogger kit with injectors that go UNDER the fuel injectors.
Or, if you're talking about running a carb, you can put a fogger on that too. Again, only 8 nozzles.
You want something to run 7.5-9.99, but you dont want a roll bar/roll cage.
You want 550-750 on a street tune, and 1000 plus for the track, but dont wanna run race gas.
See where you sound like a dreamer, that isnt even old enough to know this stuff?
Sure, 750 hp can be done on pump gas, even 1000, but its very expensive. Hell, its very expensive to do it on race gas.
And have you ever thought about how a blow thru carb would work without the blower?
I mean, if you've got all the answers, why you askin questions?
I mean damn, I only do this stuff for a living.
Old 11-11-2007 | 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quickin
And its just your opinion that you wouldn't really get all crazy about a '70 Chevelle with a BBC in it. Well believe me, alot more people think its GAY to put an LSx engine in an old school muscle car. TO EACH HIS OWN.

who thinks its gay? the ford guys? have you not been to a good guys car show? or any hot rod show recently?........ just about every old school muscle car has an lsx motor swapped into it.
Old 11-11-2007 | 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Juvenile comments like what? You sound like a kid? You do.
And as for 16 injectors, you only need 8. You can buy a fogger kit with injectors that go UNDER the fuel injectors.
Or, if you're talking about running a carb, you can put a fogger on that too. Again, only 8 nozzles.
You want something to run 7.5-9.99, but you dont want a roll bar/roll cage.
You want 550-750 on a street tune, and 1000 plus for the track, but dont wanna run race gas.
See where you sound like a dreamer, that isnt even old enough to know this stuff?
Sure, 750 hp can be done on pump gas, even 1000, but its very expensive. Hell, its very expensive to do it on race gas.
And have you ever thought about how a blow thru carb would work without the blower?
I mean, if you've got all the answers, why you askin questions?
I mean damn, I only do this stuff for a living.
i never said i wanted to run 16 injectors.. i said that was ONE way of doing it if nitrous is the way i go and i dont wanna fill up my entire tanke with race gas.. i stated this as a drawback

you do this for a living and your telling me to use race gas to get 1000hp on a 540.. you might wanna consider another profession... this is done all the time

if you learn how to read previous posts you wuld see that i wuld be using EFI which would make it easier to deal with a street tune and a strip tune.. not a blow thru carb..

do you know how turbos work.. look at jesse who placed second in the dynomax power to the wheels tour.. he has twin turbos on a 540.. runs low boost on the street to the tune of about 700 horses give or take and then whith 25lbs he put down over 1300 hp to the wheels... now thats an extreme example but that just goes to show you it is possible..

might wanna keep up on this stuff man.. might help your business
Old 11-11-2007 | 07:28 PM
Banned

i never said i wanted to run 16 injectors.. i said that was ONE way of doing it if nitrous is the way i go and i dont wanna fill up my entire tanke with race gas.. i stated this as a drawback

you do this for a living and your telling me to use race gas to get 1000hp on a 540.. you might wanna consider another profession... this is done all the time

if you learn how to read previous posts you wuld see that i wuld be using EFI which would make it easier to deal with a street tune and a strip tune.. not a blow thru carb..

do you know how turbos work.. look at jesse who placed second in the dynomax power to the wheels tour.. he has twin turbos on a 540.. runs low boost on the street to the tune of about 700 horses give or take and then whith 25lbs he put down over 1300 hp to the wheels... now thats an extreme example but that just goes to show you it is possible..

Just a couple posts ago you mentioned pulling off a carb hat. And 1000HP 540 inch NA motors ARE NOT done all the time. There may a few out there, but you have no clue as to it takes to make that kind of power, sorry.
So, if ya wanna go back to talking out of both sides of your mouth, so be it.
Yeah, turbos are a good option, but a few posts ago, you shot that idea down, because you dont want the plumbing.
And the 16 injector thing, you dont need sixteen injectors to run spray on an EFI motor either.
So, what were you saying about I should keep up with stuff?
You're an idiot.
Offline now? Must be past your bedtime.
Old 11-11-2007 | 07:37 PM
Banned

i never said i wanted to run 16 injectors.. i said that was ONE way of doing it if nitrous is the way i go

Might wanna quit talking out both sides of your mouth. Makes you look like an idiot.

Quick Reply: Convince me to build LS instead of BBC!!!