Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LME LSX 454ci fresh off the crate. (56k go take a dump)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jermzz
Oh yeah, AND the intake definitly DOESNT fit under my ultra Z hood. ****.
Time for a Cowl! Or maybe a Sunoco ?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS DNA
Time for a Cowl! Or maybe a Sunoco ?
I was looking at the harwood 3" cowl.

Here's the link from summit. It's affordable, and keeps the stock hood lines while incorporating a nice 3" cowl that will fit my intake. I think typical cowls such as the sunco, etc look tacky on 4th gen fbodies, but that's just IMO

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 09-16-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

So i went down to the shop today, re-tapped the NPT, put the fittings on the intake and put it on the car. Looks like all the fittings clear, so I'm all good there!

I'll see tomorrow if it's gonna be a pain in the *** to mount to the heads with it being so close to the top.

Then to deal with this bracket situation... ugh.

Pics of it all tomorrow!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

NICE!!!
Hope it works out for ya.
Can't wait to see what this beast is gonna do!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, so I hacd some time to work on the car after work today before it got dark. Most everything under the car is buttoned up now. Only problem is that I found out the driveshaft I bought is for a 9" car and it needs to be shortened about an inch or so. No biggie, that can be done local in a couple hours.

Here's what she looks like as of now.

Having some issues with the intake that are really pissing me off though..

One, I realize this is a nice piece and very well made, but beck should think about where he puts things such as the mounting points for the fuel rails... The placemnt of them, along with a couple nitrous bungs left me having to guess my torque by bumping down to a HAND held allen wrench because nothing else would fit.

Keep in mind this is a 3/8 INCH lb torque wrench with a fairly small allen bit on it, as small as I can find anyway. The nitrous bung on the first passenger side bolt, and the far one on the back driverside are untightenable even with a 3/8 drive regular ratchet. I had to use a hand allen. Ridiculus.

Second, the intake fits peachy keen under the hood, but it could NOT be any closer.... after the intake is torqued down there's about 1/8th inch of clearnece. Just enough to where it's going to bang, tap and make all kinds of annoying knocks and bumps under the hood when the car is running i'm not really interested in hearing...

Third, it LOOKS (not positive but pretty sure) that the intake is hitting the LS2 valley cover and it's stopping it from sitting properly and sealing properly. I'd like to get some input on this from the pics, but thats what it looks like to me. If so, i'm DEFINITLY not looking forward to covering everything up and taking a dremel to my valley cover. What a pain in the *** for something that should have been measured right for the amount of money one pays for this piece the first time.

other then that everything has been going smoothly. I have to hook up the master cyl under the dash, put the radiator, fans, blah blah back together, get the driveshaft in and I should be good to go once I figure out the intake mounting and get the bracket made.

I'm getting restless!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a shitty deal with the intake fitment. For that kind of coin you'd really think it would fit perfect. The cowl and the valley cover shouldn't be hard at all to make fit but it sucks that it has to come to that.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

are you gonna drive this on the street or just a track car? i like the sheetmetal intakes but was told doesnt really react to well with driving on the street... looking good tho man.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:17 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never heard of the bolting issues, but the other two I have. Solution 1 = Trim the cowel. Once you put the plastic pieces back over it you will never be able to tell. Solution 2 = Grinding the valley cover and possibly some of the cross beams on the intake.

I agree with you though. For the amount of money one of those things costs you should get something that is absolutely perfect.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I've never heard of the bolting issues, but the other two I have. Solution 1 = Trim the cowel. Once you put the plastic pieces back over it you will never be able to tell. Solution 2 = Grinding the valley cover and possibly some of the cross beams on the intake.

I agree with you though. For the amount of money one of those things costs you should get something that is absolutely perfect.

I was thinking about trimming the cowl, but sometimes my car has to sit out in the rain. If that cown is cut, wont that let water directly into the engine bay? This I do not want.

As for the valley cover.... yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to shave it down, really pisses me off, but I guess I have no other choice. Annoying just to take this intake off the car. took me 45 min just to torque it.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSIRBY
are you gonna drive this on the street or just a track car? i like the sheetmetal intakes but was told doesnt really react to well with driving on the street... looking good tho man.
It's a street strip car.

And my definition streetable is far different then 90% of the people out there.

Not til the car is dieing at every stop light and studdering under 3k rpm do I consider the car not streetable.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to mention I have to pull the water pump and PCV fitting off just to pull the intake off cause it fits as tight as a highschool girl's vag.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was off early today, so I got a lot done. Ended up taking off the intake and clearencing the valley cover. Also BFH'd the cowl while I was in there and everything is a lot better now.

Found a solution for the throttle aswell. Since the mounting location was too close by about two inches for the stock cable, I drilled a new hole in the Accufab TB about two inches further back then the last hole provided. Seems to work great now! Won't know for sure until I start the car I guess.

Hooked up all the fuel, tested it for leaks and pressure, all good there.

Looks like all I need to do is hook up the master cylinder, get my driveshaft shortened, put the radiator / fans in and add fluids and she's ready to start up!

Hopefully by sunday I can fire her up.

More pics coming tomorrow! I'm getting excited now!
Old 09-17-2008, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Let me know when you are going to start it for the first time, if we dont have anything going on.. I would love to be there...

Oh, and you lucky bastard... I want mine done now too....

Mrs. Azrael

Quick Reply: LME LSX 454ci fresh off the crate. (56k go take a dump)