Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Excessive oil in catch can...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Excessive oil in catch can...

So I just got and installed my Jamesbiz catch can and got my car back out on the road. His product looks and fits great I'm just worried about the amount of oil I'm catching in the can. This is a ls2 motor from a TBSS and I only have the valve cover to plug into to pull vaccum on the crankcase, not on the valley cover like the LS6/GTO style. I've probably driven the car maybe 5-10 miles and made just a couple of hard runs in 2-3 gears and decided I'd take a look in the catch can. I was suprised that it was almost full of oil already... That dosen't sound right does it? The motor has a FTI cam and is otherwise stock. I did down shift kind of hard and that probably created some serious vaccum, but it shouldn't be pulling out this much oil... Tapping the valley cover with a fitting to pull vaccum from there should help out, right?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How exactly do you have your PCV system and catch can connected?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

wait one and I'll go snap a picture....
Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Using this:

Hooked up like this:
Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Nice looking catch can, do you have any pictures of the inside?

Where do you have the clean air side of the PCV system connected? This is normally connected to the air bridge and connects to the passengers side valve cover. Where is the PCV valve?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Nice looking catch can, do you have any pictures of the inside?

Where do you have the clean air side of the PCV system connected? This is normally connected to the air bridge and connects to the passengers side valve cover. Where is the PCV valve?
Here's a link about the can....

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...light=Jamesbiz

I just connected one fitting on the can to the vaccum port on the side of the intake just behind the TB and the other hose to the valve cover port. My dumbass didn't put any kind of valve in-line with anything. I also have a vaccum fitting on the drivers side valve cover near the back of the engine that is currently plugged off. I just read that putting some type of small restrictor should help my problem and also run another line to the other valve cover fitting...
Old 04-20-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

The way you have it connected, you will be sucking oil straight out of the valve cover. The port on the valve cover connects to the clean air side of the PCV system. On the LS1/6, a hose connects from this port to the side of the throttle body. On the LS2, a hose connects from this port to a connector in the throttle body-to-air bridge 'accordian' hose. The catch can connects inline on the dirty side of the PCV system.

Here is a basic diagram of a PCV system with a single catch can:

Old 04-20-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
The way you have it connected, you will be sucking oil straight out of the valve cover. The port on the valve cover connects to the clean air side of the PCV system. On the LS1/6, a hose connects from this port to the side of the throttle body. On the LS2, a hose connects from this port to a connector in the throttle body-to-air bridge 'accordian' hose. The catch can connects inline on the dirty side of the PCV system.

Here is a basic diagram of a PCV system with a single catch can:

Yeah, I'm an idiot... I'm not running any type of PCV valve and I do not have any fresh air source for the crankcase. I will need to have the fresh air source come from after my MAF so that it is metered air since it will be actually going into the intake manifold eventually correct?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jw33
Yeah, I'm an idiot... I'm not running any type of PCV valve and I do not have any fresh air source for the crankcase. I will need to have the fresh air source come from after my MAF so that it is metered air since it will be actually going into the intake manifold eventually correct?
Idiot is a bit strong, easy mistake to make. The PCV clean air will need to attach after the MAF. All you need is a connection to the valley cover for the PCV dirty side and a connection at the throttle body for the PCV clean air side.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

PCV valve goes between the can and the vally cover. I attatched the cean air side to the intake port. I still got a little oil in the intake though...
Old 04-22-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jermzz
PCV valve goes between the can and the vally cover. I attatched the cean air side to the intake port. I still got a little oil in the intake though...
You can put the PCV on either side of the catch can. Since the PCV valve needs a little oil to operate correctly, some say it's best to place it as you state. I happen to have mine on the intake side of the catch can and get no oil in the intake.

Here's my catch can configuration:

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an easier way by eliminating it altogether, but thats not desirable for everyone.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Just so everyone knows. The catch can is not directional and can be routed either way you choose. It's filters on both sides and are completely separate from the oil at the bottom.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

back from the dead...lol

Quick Reply: Excessive oil in catch can...