Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

427 Engine Swap *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like came out good, give it some likes then adjust the tune and it will probably pick up pretty good too, once it's got about 5000 miles on it.

One question I ask everyone that does a motor swap thru the bottom: Why? It's not that hard to take out thru the top then you don't have to unhook brake lines, no need to worry about the alignment afterwards, etc.etc.

Ya get under the car, yank the headers and drop the tranny, then the motor will come right out thru the top, then the car doesn't have to stay on the lift and take up space in the shop if you don't want it to....

Curious what people's thinking is as to why they go this route.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Looks like came out good, give it some likes then adjust the tune and it will probably pick up pretty good too, once it's got about 5000 miles on it.

One question I ask everyone that does a motor swap thru the bottom: Why? It's not that hard to take out thru the top then you don't have to unhook brake lines, no need to worry about the alignment afterwards, etc.etc.

Ya get under the car, yank the headers and drop the tranny, then the motor will come right out thru the top, then the car doesn't have to stay on the lift and take up space in the shop if you don't want it to....

Curious what people's thinking is as to why they go this route.
Its still the easiest option, especially if you have a lift. You have to remove much less than when pulling it out of the top.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't make sense to do it out the top, especially when we were putting in the tubular K-member, and those Abear Motorsports valvecovers.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Race your car!

The valvecovers will go on with the motor in the car, I've already done that one a couple times.

When swapping the k member at the same time yes I agree it's better out the bottom, but if the k member isn't getting done I'd take it right out the top. I can have my motor out the top about 5 hours alone, probably 4 or less if I have a 2nd set of hands to help, and that's not rushing at all.

Now with the motor plate, I can take the motor with the tranny still bolted up right out the top, just unbolt the exhaust, shifter linkage, tranny mount, pull the intake and harness off the motor, hook up the hoist, unbolt the motor plate and torsional support bar and out it comes right out the top as one piece.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

The valvecovers will go on with the motor in the car, I've already done that one a couple times.

When swapping the k member at the same time yes I agree it's better out the bottom, but if the k member isn't getting done I'd take it right out the top. I can have my motor out the top about 5 hours alone, probably 4 or less if I have a 2nd set of hands to help, and that's not rushing at all.

Now with the motor plate, I can take the motor with the tranny still bolted up right out the top, just unbolt the exhaust, shifter linkage, tranny mount, pull the intake and harness off the motor, hook up the hoist, unbolt the motor plate and torsional support bar and out it comes right out the top as one piece.

Take a look at Abear's. I can't even remove them without dropping the motor a few inches, they are very tall.

5 hours? thats a long time. The tech had mine out in about 2.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:29 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having done it both ways through the bottom with a lift is much easier.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Race your car!

Talking

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Take a look at Abear's. I can't even remove them without dropping the motor a few inches, they are very tall.

5 hours? thats a long time. The tech had mine out in about 2.
Yup, and when he puts it back in it's gonna take about 4, then you're gonna pay for the alignment as well, which I don't have to worry about.

Oh, and if I have to move my car while the motor is out, becauase say there was a problem when we took ot down and have to put say new pistons in it and it's gonna take 8 weeks for Diamond to make the custom piston I need, the car's not taking up the lift for all that time.

If you are doing what you did, a drop and swap that's fine but if you're taking something out and fixing it and not just dropping a new bullet in it's not even close.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car sound's sick as hell bro and loved the intake...
Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, and when he puts it back in it's gonna take about 4, then you're gonna pay for the alignment as well, which I don't have to worry about.

Oh, and if I have to move my car while the motor is out, becauase say there was a problem when we took ot down and have to put say new pistons in it and it's gonna take 8 weeks for Diamond to make the custom piston I need, the car's not taking up the lift for all that time.

If you are doing what you did, a drop and swap that's fine but if you're taking something out and fixing it and not just dropping a new bullet in it's not even close.

So i work at a dealer, and only have my one bay, i drop them out the bottom. If the motor cant be swapped and its gonna have to wait guess what i bolt the bare cradle back in, pop the wheels back on, connect steering, and roll it where ever i want. Other guys try to do the top thing. Just cant yank it in the 1 hour it takes to drop everything. Why dont you do it your way and this guy can do it his way? Seems logical right?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:34 AM
TECH Junkie

i hope someone picked up at least part of the tab on the first engine being shot...
Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 AM
TECH Junkie

orig shop rebuilt it. But I ended up having to have it rebuilt AGAIN by another shop because I wasn't pleased with how they handled it and lost confidence in them, which was very expensive. The whole experience was a nightmare.

Quick Reply: 427 Engine Swap *pics*