Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

cam reluctor question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam reluctor question

I'm running into a tach issue right now after dropping in my new motor, it does not function at all. Its an LS3 setup with the cam sensor in the front cover. Obviously I'm going from the old style LS1 setup to this new style. I have the proper harness and everything seems to be fine. Car starts and runs, all other gauges work except the tach. One guy in the PCM section pointed me toward the double row timing set as being a possible issue. However, I had already thought about that on the front end, and made sure the double row I was going to use was for LS2 engines. Its a very strange problem, because I get RPM in HPtuners, and nothing seems amiss... Car runs strong too!

I'm running the N-Motion timing set that appears to have the proper reluctor area, but I figured I would post here to see if anyone can give me some input on the situation. I marked the area in the picture, is this the correct sprocket to use for a front cover cam sensor setup?

Anyone else have any idea on why the tach may not be working if you don't believe this to be the issue?

thanks in advance,

-Ross

edit: I found this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=12576407 My cover has the grey sensor in it, which is stated in that thread to work fine with the 2x style cam sprocket and provide an LS1 signal. I'm still stumped as to what my problem is... Hard to imagine I damaged only the tach signal wire when installing the motor (never touched the computer and made sure to be careful with the harness wires), and it is grounded to the same place as most of the gauges so it probably is not ground. This is a very irritating problem.
Attached Thumbnails cam reluctor question-camsprocket.jpg  

Last edited by RoDan; 06-17-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the car have a hard start issue or any back-firing or popping through the exhaust once it's running?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Banned

where you get the cams sensor extention from? some of them have the wires backwards
Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Matt, it will hard start sometimes but once it starts it runs fine! It will sometimes pop when it is trying to start but then once it is running, there are no pops. It runs strong! I'm thinking the hard start is tune related, but if this is an indication of some other problem then that would make sense also!

The harness is from Texas Speed... I doubt the wires are backward, but anyting is possible witht his build as I have found out recently, lol.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fixed it thanks to Matt. Problem ended up being the cam sensor wires were reversed in the cover!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad it fixed your issues!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Hi All

I'm in the same boat - bought a TSP L92 motor that someone had swapped into an '01 vette. I have the grey LS2 cam sensor, and an extension harness from racetronix. I throw a PO343 code, and have occaisional popping on startup. It sounds like the wires may be reversed?

cheers

Tim
Old 10-17-2008, 05:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
where you get the cams sensor extention from? some of them have the wires backwards
It's only been going on for 3 years, I'm sure they'll get around to quality checking their stock any day now.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Teching In

FYI - I switched the wires, no more PO343 and no more crap starting.

Quick Reply: cam reluctor question