Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

427 stroker help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinsB
i know the car runs rich i have a ses light on and its throwing coeds for certain banks. i just cant remember witch one or ones. Will tuning the car help this problem or make things worse? I know a tune will make things better just dont want to do something that will make things worse
I had a 427 that did exactly that on each start-up. The rings had been washed from being too rich during the break-in period. If I revved it hard in "park" it would also shoot raw gas onto the ground from the tailpipes. Had the engine pulled out after 8,000 miles and rebuilt. Nothing will fix it but a rebuild. I had it rebuilt and tuned properly and its fine now with well over 50,000 miles.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Did you have an initial tune done once the motor went into the car?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

no. before i even got the motor from MTI i sent my PC to them for a basic outline if thats what u want to call it. But other than a base line tune no, I've talked to EPP in Indiana just got to set up a day and time to get it tuned OH and $$
Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no. before i even got the motor from MTI i sent my PC to them for a basic outline if thats what u want to call it. But other than a base line tune no,

Same thing I did, mail order bullshit tune. Gas washed my rings.

I've talked to EPP in Indiana just got to set up a day and time to get it tuned OH and $$
Too late with the mileage you have, the rings are done.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

no. before i even got the motor from MTI i sent my PC to them for a basic outline if thats what u want to call it. But other than a base line tune no, I've talked to EPP in Indiana just got to set up a day and time to get it tuned OH and $$
Yeah I bet you are gonna have to tear it down then. I wouldn't have driven anywhere but to the tuner with an outline tune. Maybe you will get lucky and it won't be a major fix, but it's not sounding good.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

what the best way to tell if the rings are bad? any way of finding out whats wrong with out tearing it down first?? Im not against tearing it down just dont want to if nothing is wrong. I live in Cincinnati Oh anyone heard of Danny Poop?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:20 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do a leakdown test to see what shape the engine is in. If you have excessive leakdown, listen to see where the escaping pressure is going (exhaust,intake or crankcase). Listen through your oil filler cap. If there's a significant amount of flow through there, then it's likely your rings. I think the norm is around 3-10# of leakdown depending on how the engine was built.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

well come sometime next week il find out if the rings are bad. taking it in to have a leak down test done. Assuming the rings are bad what are good rings to put in it. I would call MTI and see what rings were in it but not able to contact them ?? suggestions

Quick Reply: 427 stroker help please