Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Oil pan gasket

Is there any company that makes a GEN V oilpan gasket?? This gray crap in a tube is not a very good gasket. We are back in the 1950's.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,090 Likes on 2,406 Posts

The gray crap in a tube, when used correctly in the right application, works better than cork/paper gaskets.
It is a polymeric seal between 2 stationary metal surfaces, sealing flexibly where paper does not.
The following users liked this post:
SAPPER (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

The gray stuff is the best stuff if used correctly. Like G said above. Run by your local GM dealer and tell them you need GMS, p/n 88864346.
Damn, I type in that number 100 times a day. LMAO
G Atsma (08-25-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
The gray crap in a tube, when used correctly in the right application, works better than cork/paper gaskets.
It is a polymeric seal between 2 stationary metal surfaces, sealing flexibly where paper does not.
I wanted one of those metal/silicone seals like they have been making for years, not paper/cork. It's really hard to get an even bead while you are squeezing a tube all the way around the perimeter. GM has a machine to put on the bead. Don't know why we are going backward --- the valley cover has a nice seal, the intake ports have nice seals, valve covers have seals. I don't get why the front, rear and oilpan don't have similar seals. LME mills their front cover and installs a seal. I have a Holley pan, they should have cut a groove for a seal. I hate leaks.
Directions say to apply the gray stuff, let it sit for a few minutes and then torque it. If you have a little more bead than required, it hangs over the inside of the oil pan. That's all I need is for a piece of this to break off and get in the oil system. In other words---it's Crap!
Nobody would use this gray stuff if there was a gasket available.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have 3 of these. Greatest thing ever for GMS or anything in a small tube. Easy on the hands and can lay a bead like a welder.

Amazon Amazon
G Atsma (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks!! Never seen one of those before.
I did go to the GM dealer a while before I posted this and got a short tube of that gray seal. Put it in my gun, cut off the end, poked a hole in the seal and I could barely squeeze the trigger. I guess it had been at the dealer a long time---expired in August. 20 bucks down the drain. I did try a tube from the parts store. It came out a lot easier but I didn't like the final result---put the pan on anyway and let it sit for a week. Wayyy too easy to take off. It would have leaked. I cleaned the rails with acetone and alcohol, so I know they were squeaky clean. I ordered a 2012/ 5.3 oil pan gasket today. I want to see how close it fits. If it doesn't, I think I will pay a machine shop to put a groove around the pan and order some round silicone and use that. That's how much I hate this goop stuff. The back crank cover has to be fixed also. My deal is---I don't want to build this engine, put it in the car, bolt up the trans, hook up the wiring and find out it has a leak and have to pull it out. My brain can't understand why GM would use a nice gasket up until 2013 and then start with the squeeze tube. Cheap bastards
Old 09-02-2022, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

I thought a gen 4 oilpan gasket might be made to work on the gen V. No way. The back 4 holes line up, but that's all. Plus the Holley oilpan has such a narrow rail the silicone part hangs off to the inside.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

Sapper, I ordered one of those tube squeezers. Works great---Thanks. I used the black rtv instead of the gray.
SAPPER (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dw456post
Sapper, I ordered one of those tube squeezers. Works great---Thanks. I used the black rtv instead of the gray.
Like I said, I have 3. All 3 at home now. I brought my box home because I'm done turning wrenches at work.
The black is good too. I just prefer the gray.
The best thing to do is become good friends with a tech that works at the dealer. They will have more GMS, Dexcool, and Dex VI stuffed in a box or locker than you can imagine. He can hook you up with as much misc stuff than you'll ever need.
The following 2 users liked this post by SAPPER:
dw456post (09-05-2022), G Atsma (09-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Oil pan gasket