Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yea, I'm thinking about OEM's taking a big step away from the private deals and licenses and doing some of this aftermarket development on the web, out in the open, for all to see.

I expect that there would be resistance from the aftermarket companies that enjoy the inside access today, but (as you point out) the core hardware of the engine will remain unchanged. The development of engines is following a process that seems to me to be converging with that of software/technology products. Those industries have seen a lot of innovation arise from open source development and I'd expect that OEM's would see some unexpected developments by doing the same.
Speaking from my personal view and I do mean personal view. I would like to see the aftermarket continue to be successful with their developments and services. There is enough target market for everyone within the aftermarket.

The only thing I would change is the prices..... and the only reason I would lower prices is because more people would get into the hobby of going fast. And more people equals more target market. And a Larger market = more $$$$ for that aftermarket business.

I can't speak for the average joe...however I try to imagine as best I can...
Paying rent/mortgage,auto,home, health, life insurance,utilities, cell phone, petro bill, clothes, food, entertainment, savings, then IRA/ 401k's, giving spending money to the kids/wife/family emergency etc.

^^^^^ this alone.... is enough to drive the average man MAD. How is the average joe to clear his mind and find extra money for the hobby of going fast? You know us guys need a weekend at the track to get away from the life of constant stress.

I feel the hobby could be bigger and everyone can win. If the prices could come down just a little. Then again its hard competing with the flood of foreign goods, and cheap labor so I kind of see why prices are high.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Bigg Gunz,

I like the idea of power and durability! I've been planning out a boosted V6 build for quite a few years, having a lack of tools for fabricating the charge piping and hot side is what has kept me at bay.

Your stance of keeping the RPM's down and still keeping the engine beefy is right where I've been shooting for on my V6. Overbuild it to handle 800+ at the crank, but daily it around 400whp or bump to 600whp when set to kill mode with room to grow if I get bored.

I know the V8 guys will roll their eyes, but it is what I enjoy even if I could make that power "easier" with an LSx swap from just browsing some of the sponsor websites here.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM

Bigg_Gunz, when you talk about the final hurrah of the V8 should we also take it to mean OHV? My best guess is that someone sits down and does a cost benefit analysis once the goals are laid out. OHV may have an advantage today, but knowing what you know about ongoing testing is that balance possibly upset for the next generation?

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 12-31-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
No one had to buy out GM shares as it was equalized risk among the tax base. However as of last week GM purchased the remaining 200 Million shares back from the US.GOV/Taxpayers. So the taxpayers doesn't own not 1 share in GM as planned so the bailout was successful and even made the US TAX PAYERS a profit Not that it will even matter the trickle down effects of capitalism does NOT allow those that took on the risk to ever make a penny.

See your local Congress member for details on where the profits are going to end up.

Bigg Gunz
no it didnt. GM's stock is still well below the IPO (right now its at 28.77). thats a loss. unless they got GM to pay MUCH more than the ipo price, youre factually wrong there.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
no it didnt. GM's stock is still well below the IPO (right now its at 28.77). thats a loss. unless they got GM to pay MUCH more than the ipo price, youre factually wrong there.
27.50 each x 7.9% premium over the IPO

The taxpayers made money and will continue to make money.

And GM doesn't set the markets... wall street does... so when the treasury sells their shares in the market it up to them and their brokers not GM.

When GM buys their shares back from the US GOV...they pay a premium of 7.9% to ensure profitable.

This was part of the bailout and labeled as "prearranged trading plan."

If done in the reserve the taxpayers will lose money.

The treasury officials ensured the premium at time of the buy backs. To eliminate taxpayers loss.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Bigg_Gunz, when you talk about the final hurrah of the V8 should we also take it to mean OHV? My best guess is that someone sits down and does a cost benefit analysis once the goals are laid out. OHV may have an advantage today, but knowing what you know about ongoing testing is that balance possibly upset for the next generation?
OHV will continue to live on.

OHV = proven reliability, cost effective, production friendly. It is here to stay

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Bigg Gunz,

I like the idea of power and durability! I've been planning out a boosted V6 build for quite a few years, having a lack of tools for fabricating the charge piping and hot side is what has kept me at bay.

Your stance of keeping the RPM's down and still keeping the engine beefy is right where I've been shooting for on my V6. Overbuild it to handle 800+ at the crank, but daily it around 400whp or bump to 600whp when set to kill mode with room to grow if I get bored.

I know the V8 guys will roll their eyes, but it is what I enjoy even if I could make that power "easier" with an LSx swap from just browsing some of the sponsor websites here.
Depending on your time frame, you maybe able to perform a swap from a crate engine. It just really depends on your time frame you want to achieve force induction for your V6.

As a bi/twin turbo six is on the way.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

Everyone be safe tonight party party! Happy New Years wishing all of you safe and a happy new year.

Bigg Gunz
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

I wonder what forced induction engine will be suited for the ZL1

Bigg Gunz

Forced induction 427, genuine "brute force" powerplant for C7 ZL1 "hypercar"
Old 12-31-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will the specs of the new 4.3,5.3 and 6.2 be realesed when the new vette debuts? Or will we have to wait until spring/summer time?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's about protection of the consumer/customer and their safety. The reasoning was covered earlier in this thread.

Bigg Gunz
One might deduct then that current SIDI motors/cars are not so safe .

HNY.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Teching In

OHV = proven reliability, cost effective, production friendly. It is here to stay

Bigg Gunz
Good to hear. Not that there is really anything wrong with OHC engines, as there are some great performers out there, but there is just nothing like actually have a good torque band. I really like the idea of the new 4.3 in the trucks. In comparison to the f-150, it will most likely have about the same gas mileage as the 3.7, but the pulling power of the ecoboost without the worry of replacing turbos in a few years.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

As a bi/twin turbo six is on the way.

Bigg Gunz
I'm guessing you're not at liberty to discuss that privately?

I'm guessing this is the one that was shown on the torture/tilt dyno when they were teasing the video with the new Gen V engines for the silverado?

If they have that as a crate and it is an affordable enough setup, that could prove to be a good option since it is built for boost to begin with...
Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would personally source the L92 crank or even a Ls3 crank if you're feeling lucky.

Have it balance to the rods and pistons.

Easily 950HP capable and most important "DURABLE." It will last 100,000 miles or more.

Bigg Gunz

is that 950 wheel or flywheel?

i truely hate this thread with a passion from the migraine i get reading it!!!!!!!

but its so much to be learned
Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Bigg Gunz
Brilliant!

Two more questions:

Is the E92 ECM common to all 5th gen small blocks? Are there any differences at all or will they be completely swapable from big brother to LT1?

I know this may not be your area of expertise but could you clue us in on the transverse leaf benefits found in testing? There are a lot of discussions centering on crosstalk for example when comparing to coils. It would be nice to hear something from the source on this.

Much appreciated.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SKULL
i truely hate this thread with a passion from the migraine i get reading it!!!!!!!

Agreed
Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SKULL
is that 950 wheel or flywheel?

Pretty sure he is talking about flywheel. There was some discussion about that somewhere around 4,000 posts ago. LOL
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BG,
Please elaborate on the differences and benefits of the Crankshafts you mentioned, ie: L92 vs LS3 and also the LS2. Aren't they all the same?
MrE
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Teching In

It has been mentioned several times in this thread that the intake and exhaust ports are swapped for the new LT. Why? While I could easily understand why going to the LS design from gen 1's was done, this I'm not figuring out on my own.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

From what has been said, it improves cylinder head cooling.

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block