Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbody6liter
So what if it only makes 380ft lbs? It's something called gearing. That plus a lighter car makes a faster car. And Fords 6.2L makes very similar power to GM's 6.2L truck engine. 2V sohc vs 2v ohv. It's so funny how lots of GM diehards and Vette owners say the Coyote is tapped out from the get go. Weird how a bolt-on Coyote makes the same/more power as a cammed/bolt-on Camaro LS3. Boss 302 intake, tune, cai and full exhaust is 460-480whp. Cams/slightly cleaned up heads push it to 500+whp. If Ford ever applies the same tech to the 6.2L, then everyone will have to look out. It's like any hot small displacement SBC. Loads of rpm, big hp and not much tq. Hence they were in lightweight cars with TH350 and 4.11+ gears.
So you rather have less tq and more gearing given a choice? Vette weighs less than a mustang btw. I don't know that a 5.0 is tapped out, I've never heard that. Funny how when they add more hp they loose tq, lol. Average mid sized cam LS3 makes 470rwhp 450ish tq. Again average power. Head and cam LS3 make 500/ 470ish tq. If my aunt had ***** she would be my uncle, so what. If they apply the same tech to a 7.0 as they did to an lt1, then look out, that yu can count that will happen. Id rather have a big displacement high rpm motor, tq and hp. Hence, LS7.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're comparing a 70k sports car vs a 32k muscle car. I would hope a huge 7.0L equipped Vette would be faster than a 5.0L Mustang..... LOL. And your head/cam LS3 is exactly my example. You don't even have to touch the internals of a Coyote to make the power of a cammed LS3. And even with ported heads/cams the Coyote still makes as much power in a smaller engine over a wider rpm range. Stage 1 ported heads, cams, boss intake, full exhaust and cai makes 571bhp/449tq on the engine dyno and with the stock intake, same engine made 545bhp and 475tq. Now I don't care who you are, that's retarded power from 302 cubes. If GM made a dohc V8 using today's technology, then it would be top of the line too. Big power and tq.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everyone on here on most points. SIDI has tons of potential. Look at the LNF, stock fuel system able to support over 500whp from a 2.0L. Everyone was so worried about not being able to do crap to it. All software is hackable. The first company that figures out a way to make an "un-hackable" pc system will be rich beyond belief. With that said, I am very disappointed in the naming and suggested power numbers. They should have called it LS5 for the base engine and LSX for the top dog engine. 450bhp from 6.2L is a waste IMO. Ford makes as much with a smaller engine using real advanced technology. Pushrods are great for cheap and simple but every single high output per displacement engine uses advanced cam timing technology with dohc heads. Honda, Ford, BMW, Audi, Lamborghini, Toyota, Ferrari, Porsche just to name a few. GM used to have this tech in the old LT5 engine but was dumb by not investing in the more advanced tech. I don't care what anyone says, a 5.2L V8 making more than 550whp is truly remarkable from oem production parts. I just don't understand why GM fights tooth and nail keeping with antiquated technology. Like the 3.5L and 3.9L engines, so advanced and yet, so lame compared to most of the competition. A 3.5L pushrod v6 with only 200bhp is pathetic. My wife's Sonata with a smaller 3.3L makes 50hp more. Even worse is the 3.9L only making a measly 230bhp. Pathetic is all I can say. They have all the resources available to make a truly world class engine but instead keep using the same old. DI and oil squirters do not impress me one bit unless it's making 500bhp out of the box.
Have to agree with all of this.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

You're comparing a 70k sports car vs a 32k muscle car. I would hope a huge 7.0L equipped Vette would be faster than a 5.0L Mustang..... LOL. And your head/cam LS3 is exactly my example. You don't even have to touch the internals of a Coyote to make the power of a cammed LS3. And even with ported heads/cams the Coyote still makes as much power in a smaller engine over a wider rpm range. Stage 1 ported heads, cams, boss intake, full exhaust and cai makes 571bhp/449tq on the engine dyno and with the stock intake, same engine made 545bhp and 475tq. Now I don't care who you are, that's retarded power from 302 cubes. If GM made a dohc V8 using today's technology, then it would be top of the line too. Big power and tq.
Ok, fair enough, let's say you remove the 5.0 from a mustang, and replace it with an LS3, you can't tell me the ls3 won't be faster, that's an apples to apples test right. The only disadvantage the camaro has is weight. But there is a lighter option in the vette, that's why I was using that example. LS3s have been known to trap 120 in the right conditions. And I do agree that the 5.0 is impressive, it sure was due after neary two decades of lame engine choices in the gt. It was about time for some competition.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...p/viewall.html

I agree, hp figures are similar, but I personaly like tq and under the curve power, that's where the ls kicks ***.

For comparison

Stock ls3 on dyno
493hp. 484 tq

Heads cam
569hp 521 tq
Check out that power curve too
I do agree though, if gm made a 7.0 dohc motor, it would be nuts,
And if ford made a 7.0 dohc motor it would be nuts as well. Tooo many what ifs though.!

Last edited by GMRL; 10-26-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

How about the same engine stroked?
608 hp 570 tq
With over 550 ft lb from 4200 to 5700 rpm.
What are 5.0 strokers making?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMRL
How about the same engine stroked?
608 hp 570 tq
With over 550 ft lb from 4200 to 5700 rpm.
What are 5.0 strokers making?
Why would they spend $10k on a strocker when they can throw a $3000 blower on it with tires and run 9's? And considering how shitty the camaro gearing is compared to the 5.0 I don't see an ls3 being thrown in the 5.0 being faster, expecially considering they make right around the same power. I don't understand who made the decision to gear the camaro so it can hit 155mph in 4th gear.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:21 AM
TECH Regular

Why don't you have a 5.0 if they are so good? I'm not saying they are bad, i want a new BOSS, but you had two ls vehicles, one of them being a new LT truck, for which I'm sure you could've bought a new 5.0 or 6.2, so why didn't you?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Yes these ECUs will be un hackable.
just like apple said the new iPhone will be unhackable
just like the government never get hacks
and just like every other person with an "unhackable" software will eventually lose the game.

sit there and talk all you want, but there will be a way to tune these ECU's
Old 10-26-2012, 02:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by godlyxdan
Yes these ECUs will be un hackable.
just like apple said the new iPhone will be unhackable
just like the government never get hacks
and just like every other person with an "unhackable" software will eventually lose the game.

sit there and talk all you want, but there will be a way to tune these ECU's
/discussion. back on more relevent topic
Old 10-26-2012, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
I am allowed to say I concur with your comment. And yes it is very very powerful.

Bigg Gunz
You are on the wrong website buddy. Nobody here is ever going to agree with you that it is in our best interest to have a non-tunable engine. You might have better luck on the prius forum.

What I'm taking from your responses: GM is trying to murder hot rodding. If you want to go faster find another 25 grand for the higher model. Otherwise we will void your warantee, never let you start your car again, and notify the Government and EPA that you are a terrorist trying to kill the environment.

Last edited by camz28arro; 10-26-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

What you folks are completely failing to realize is that it's not that the ECM will be unhackable, it's that if you do hack it and then bring it in to a GM dealership they're going to be able to recognize that it's been tampered/tuned/etc. They just perfected the art of seeing if the ECM has been tuned, that's all.

In other words - a few months after the LT1s come out, there will be companies who will figure out how to tune it. They will offer tunes. You can have your car tuned, but you will void your powertrain warranty. In other words it will be no different than cam swaps and everything else people do which likewise void powertrain warranty.

In other words - once the aftermarket picks up with the technology you'll just have to have two ECMs. The stock one with the stock tune, an OEM one with the aftermarket tune.

PS - to the guy who said GM can't void the powertrain warranty, you're wrong. It's the opposite. GM doesn't have to prove your modification voids the warranty, it's quite the opposite. You have to prove that your modification doesn't void the warranty. Obviously doing exhaust will not void a powertrain warranty, but if you tamper with the tune and GM can see that it's been tampered with, it's guaranteed they'll void warranty on any part of the engine.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camz28arro
You are on the wrong website buddy. Nobody here is ever going to agree with you that it is in our best interest to have a non-tunable engine. You might have better luck on the prius forum. Since it seems you can only agree or disagree with a statement:

1.A non-AFM/non-VVT/(fuel injected or unlocked DI) version will be announced within the year.

2.GM is trying to murder hot rodding. If you want to go faster find another 25 grand for the higher model. Otherwise we will void your warantee, never let you start your car again, and notify the Government and EPA that you are a terrorist trying to kill the environment.
Everything I've seen, nothing official of course and only rumors, are that every engine in the DI LT platform will be VVT. There's LT1 all the way through LT9.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Sucks Bigg_Gunz won't comment on any of my technical questions/comments lol
Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ALL ECM rumors are coming from our newest member BIGG_GUNZ and are backed up by NO other source. Not GM, not the normal rumor mills, nowhere.

Trust the entire GM community (not just this site), or trust a guy with a no name rapper username and sub 25 posts who joined this week.

Using common sense take that how you will.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Who is actually still reading this ****?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
140+ people give or take.

Bigg Gunz
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Everything I needed to say was said 4 pages ago when I called troll.

As far as I'm concerned this thread needs a lock, or maybe even deleted before people start reposting this crap and rumors start.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
ALL ECM rumors are coming from our newest member BIGG_GUNZ and are backed up by NO other source. Not GM, not the normal rumor mills, nowhere.

Trust the entire GM community (not just this site), or trust a guy with a no name rapper username and sub 25 posts who joined this week.

Using common sense take that how you will.

Yes AUTOSAR,VIRTUAL CILENTS,VMM,ECM 92, ENCYRPTED OS,HYPERVISORS ALL RUMORS etc.. ALL FICTIONAL NOT THAT BIGG GUNZ WHO EVER THIS GUY/ROBOT IS WOULD KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ANY OF IT.

BIGG GUNZ
Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mshadow
Sucks Bigg_Gunz won't comment on any of my technical questions/comments lol

Where? The random rambling about BMW, Cobalt's, CTS etc being able to be tuned/tampered? Complete and utter non sense to the scope of what is being DONE today.

Bigg Gunz
Old 10-26-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
Everything I needed to say was said 4 pages ago when I called troll.

As far as I'm concerned this thread needs a lock, or maybe even deleted before people start reposting this crap and rumors start.
Too late for that - I know the discussion here has spilled onto at least 5 other websites that I visit. Whether they got their info from this thread or not, I'm not sure, but I know 5 sites which are all discussing the ECM lockdown.

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block