Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
As this engine is obviously not based on the LT1 that this section of LS1tech is about, expect the thread to be closed and a new "GenV" forum to be started.

I too am miffed as to why GM would again re-use an engine designation that's been used.

LS3, LS4, LS6, LS7, now LT1 that's already been used twice before.
Perhaps its because any other code name would sound silly. I certainly wouldnt want a QT-1
Besides the "LT" name has alot of history and meaning for GM with Big technological advancements. This rendition of the LT1 is no different, despite the fact that It is a Completely different "small block"
Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

So wait, the new motor doesnt have an optispark?

JK

In all seriousness I really hope GM doesnt lock the car down as much as some people are saying. The consumer will always win, why would I buy a sixth gen camaro if I cant do anything to it? Have they forgotten their core customer?

Not to mention, how much is this unneeded bullshit Big Brother technology going to cost the consumer?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The core consumer of the muscle car is the guy who likes to improve x, not the guy who is fine with what the factory gave him.

And BIGG GUNZ, I know you deactivated your account, but I hope you are still reading and taking notes. Look at everyones sigs, we all mod.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM
wrencher

This new engine sure has a lot more in common with the LS series than it's namesake.
Why re-hash the LT1 monicker ?

As for the tuning side of this.....

GM has been looking into the tuning of their platforms for some time.
The newer vehicles already look for tuning & PCM EEPROM flash counts to the PCM via the network.

It's only common sense their next step is to make engine control modifications difficult.
The nature of a GDI engine & the complicated fuel delivery/ injection modes coupled with variable valve timing all to maintain power, drivability & the bigger picture emissions.
Couple that with a larger displacement & higher power output all those things come to risk. Wind that rubber band tighter it becomes easier to break you could say.

But there are far more to consider in engine management strategies once GDI & VVT are brought into the mix.
Just fuel delivery alone is not controlled via pulse width.
It's the fuel pressure itself that's increased to the injector to deliver more fuel.
Have to deliver fuel quickly in a specific time frame & this is the best option. Thats why the need for a high pressure pump, to force the fuel into the cylinder directly & volume control.

GM has to warranty the catalysts for 8/80 still & that's still a biggie.
Now with GDI that part has become a bit more expensive.
They require a special catalyst to live under the conditions this engine can run under & produce.

They would do these things to PCM's IMO save warranty costs & emissions requirements.
Their not really concerned about the true gearhead who is gonna rip the cats off & mod the heck out of it.
Their looking @ the cars they're selling & have to warranty.
Heck I'm happy where still getting 450+ hp cars coming with this new 36.5 CAFE standard coming.
Trust me I think the future for automotive looks dim in some aspects.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Perhaps its because any other code name would sound silly. I certainly wouldnt want a QT-1
Besides the "LT" name has alot of history and meaning for GM with Big technological advancements. This rendition of the LT1 is no different, despite the fact that It is a Completely different "small block"
Uhmmm They could of used LX, LA, LZ ect. LT1 is not only going to confuse the public itll also confuse google! But what can you do. We have no control over that. Its not about the engine name. If this engine was named QT1 and had 500hp your desire to want it would be there. Dont say you wouldnt want a QT1 because of 1 letter LMFAO.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Village Troll

Received 538 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
I can assure you GM can and will void the warranty of the entire power train if the ECM is tampered with, additionally GM will void any extended warranty purchased as well. GM is data centers all over the globe are centralized and linked. Going to alternate dealerships will NOT work. Once the ECM is plug into the encrypted data is fetched by the servers.
GM dealerships have been linked for years. This is nothing new. Of course GM is going to try and void a warranty as a whole because they are betting the consumer has no idea about SEMA laws and how they protect the consumer over bullshit like this. I went through it and won with my Camaro.
If the servers detector tampering within the ECM the server will send a void notice to the dealership where the impaired vehicle is being diagnose. Ask any REGIONAL SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE working for GM.
They too will bet against the consumer being familiar with SEMA.
GM is unquestionably subject matter experts on their vehicle. A Lawyer or Lawyers will be hard pressed to prove their case against recorded data on the ECM/vehicle in question and expert engine management engineers.
Well sure, but they are not experts on the law and will try anything they can, lie any way they can to get out of paying for warranty work whether it's legitimate or not. You are in another world if you don't think that's true.
The judge will understand that the owner illegally violated state and Federal EPA/Smog Laws. Which states the ENGINE CONTROL UNIT cannot be modified by anyone but GM as tested by the EPA. The problem only compounds from possible jail time and $20,000 + fines.
Depends on a variety of things. Big named performance shops like Lingenfelter who specialize in Corvettes can afford an Executive Order number for their packages. Any other shop, GM would have to prove the PCM is violating emissions laws, and right now OBDII tuners can get around that because of the way the PCM's are inspected. I have total faith there are enough enthusiasts out there that will find a way to get around GM and emissions inspection procedures.
I do not disagree that GM will at least try to void warranty work, but if the consumer is conscious enough and has money, there will be a court date.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

1992 called... They want their LT1 back
Old 10-27-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
1992 called... They want their LT1 back
But they dont want there Opti back
Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

"puck"

I can assure you the ECM will not be tunable.
I have several GM products.
And if you really think some 14 year old stand alone kid is hacking the D.O.D then I have a VCR I want to sell you.

No one has been had or trolled here. As I've stated something very very power is on the horizon for a GM vehicle. The heads are the real potential there is significant reasoning in reversing the intake and exhaust valves. And going to a 12.5 degree valve angle with raised ports.

"puck"

Keep faith in GM.

regards,

Bigg Gunz
first off "uncrackable" is about thee biggest line of bs ever. as is "untuneable for consumer safety." i wouldnt doubt if some smart people crack this ecm in anything from 2 weeks to 6 months and have working calibrations in 3-6 months after that. if anything, just to spite your "but its for your own good!"

as was said before, diesel owners had the same line of bull fed to them... then they made those same people look dumber than a box of rocks.

btw, sales will suffer if its untunable. about the only way to make up for that is the ecm is a completely self tuning entity. you seem to be one cocky computer geek... usually those are the ones that get crushed when throwing
out that sort of challenge.

oh, and one last thing... the only faith we really truly have in GM is for them to pull defeat from the jaws of victory.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

This engine shares nothing with our LT1 and it's in the wrong ******* section.

It should be moved to the "no one here gives a ****" section of the forums.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is direct injection. You can increase direct injection as high as 16:1 compression because the fuel cools the cylinder as it is shot directly in. Mazda has a 4cyl running 15:1 already. The possibilities are good. I welcome the new LT1 but let's face it, there has to be a new section for it.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hot Rod will have a sheetmetal manifold, belt drive distributor, and a carb on it the first month. DI replaced with Meth Nozzles

Really though, there are aftermarket ecu's that control DI and cam phasing if a guy is in a super hurry.

Can't wait to see what the new canted valve heads flow or what they can be made to flow.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting thread. I did some patent searching to see if GM applied for anything on this ecm approach. Found this that speaks to some of the points made in this thread.

http://www.google.com/patents/US2007...=0CE4Q6AEwBjge
Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the above link:

"A vehicle state manager process is used to first determine if the vehicle conditions are suitable for reprogramming of a particular ECU and, if so, the vehicle state manager then maintains the proper vehicle configuration during the reprogramming operation. The system and method can be used to automatically reprogram a vehicle ECU using new programming received by digital satellite broadcast or other wireless transmission to the vehicle."

So, essentially it can be "reprogrammed". And this seems to be worded that it won't automatically result in no-starts or a return to stock tune from big brother, but it "can"
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would REALLY be digging a 440 ci Gen 5 LT1 in my low mileage LT1 Z28. This could be cool!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Default Generalation V LT1 info

Hey mods,

shouldn't this thread be moved to a new heading?

We need a section devoted to GM's new engine.

Trump

Heading: "Generation V LT1 Engine"

sorry was watching NFL football.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Hey mods,

shouldn't this thread be moved to a new heading?

We need a section devoted to GM's new engine.

Trump

Heading: "Generation V LT1 Engine"

sorry was watching NFL football.
I doubt that section wont be made until production starts. Next year!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

"puck"

I can assure you the ECM will not be tunable.
I have several GM products.
And if you really think some 14 year old stand alone kid is hacking the D.O.D then I have a VCR I want to sell you.

No one has been had or trolled here. As I've stated something very very power is on the horizon for a GM vehicle. The heads are the real potential there is significant reasoning in reversing the intake and exhaust valves. And going to a 12.5 degree valve angle with raised ports.

"puck"

Keep faith in GM.

regards,

Bigg Gunz
It can all be fixed eaisly..........PUT A CARB ON IT !
Old 10-29-2012, 01:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by djjab57
It can all be fixed eaisly..........PUT A CARB ON IT !
Funny, I was thinking that earlier.

If these heads are that good, what would stop the aftermarket from producing intake manifolds that will use "normal" in-manifold port style injectors and a LS1 or something style PCM?

Of course, this would facilitate transplants of this engine into cars that didn't come with the genV LT1 engine like our "old" 98~02 F-Bodies.

Will this head bolt up to an LS1/2/3/6/7 style block?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe this will stop people from putting carbs on perfectly working fuel injection cars. One can only hope.

Quick Reply: New LT1 for 2014 6.2l alum block