Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Which F-Body To Get??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
I'm guessing you're around 17? If you really will be tracking this car that often, and this will be your only car, and you're working with a limited budget, I'd suggest an A4. The auto will take more abuse than a 6M will, meaning less likely to break, less likely for downtime on your only car.

Not sure if there are any significant suspension difference between the TA & 'Maros that would help you at the track, but I'm sure you'd be changing the primary parts out for aftermarket anyway. It's all preference. I went with a TA b/c the 'Maros look too much like Chryslers & Catfish
With that said, I blew my 10-bolt last night.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a SS or WS6 just because they look cool!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn. So would you say that the A4 and M6 are equal now? Because I really don't want to have to ride the bus to school thinking about my F-Body sitting at home alone. I really need to know which would hold the abuse of daily driving, track abuse, street abuse, and numerous mods, maybe nitrous.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dreamz28
damn. So would you say that the a4 and m6 are equal now? Because i really don't want to have to ride the bus to school thinking about my f-body sitting at home alone. I really need to know which would hold the abuse of daily driving, track abuse, street abuse, and numerous mods, maybe nitrous.
a4...
Old 08-16-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

all ls1 f body's are about the same but the ss is rated to have 15 more horsepower than the z28. and the ss comes with a much better looking body. the z28 has some of the ugliest wheels ive ever seen on a car. but u can always change them. and as far as an a4 or an m6, u can get a stall converter for the a4 but check this out u can get what is called a 2Step for your m6, and it controls your launch the same way a stall will, and you get the fun of a stickshift. theres my 2 cents
Old 08-16-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
all ls1 f body's are about the same but the ss is rated to have 15 more horsepower than the z28. and the ss comes with a much better looking body. the z28 has some of the ugliest wheels ive ever seen on a car. but u can always change them. and as far as an a4 or an m6, u can get a stall converter for the a4 but check this out u can get what is called a 2Step for your m6, and it controls your launch the same way a stall will, and you get the fun of a stickshift. theres my 2 cents
the SS is rated 15hp higher.. just as a ws6 and a trans am.. doesnt mean they are faster...

the 2 step in a m6 does not mimic a converter in a a4.. a 2step lets you consistently launch at a give RPM, say 2k.. so it stalls up to 2k (you have it floored) and then release the clutch.. it also helps stage quicker..
it is not the same thing as a converter..
guess what im saying... a stalled a4 is still quicker out of the hole majority of the time than a m6 with a 2step..
Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
the SS is rated 15hp higher.. just as a ws6 and a trans am.. doesnt mean they are faster...

the 2 step in a m6 does not mimic a converter in a a4.. a 2step lets you consistently launch at a give RPM, say 2k.. so it stalls up to 2k (you have it floored) and then release the clutch.. it also helps stage quicker..
it is not the same thing as a converter..
guess what im saying... a stalled a4 is still quicker out of the hole majority of the time than a m6 with a 2step..
well15 hp is still good for a tenth of a second in the quarter. and a 2 step and a stall are pretty simaler. they both control ure launch
Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 AM
Teching In

IMO no contest.....T/A M6 all the way they just look mean as hell

Old 08-16-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
well15 hp is still good for a tenth of a second in the quarter. and a 2 step and a stall are pretty simaler. they both control ure launch
would you please explain to me how they have an extra 15rwhp over a base model..

and while you are at it.. explain to me how a 2step and a converter mimic each other..
also how a converter helps you control the launch..

since you are so obviously knowledgeable in this department, it shouldnt be hard..

good luck!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ new sig, same lemons
Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^ new sig, same lemons

you like that ****, huh?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Not sure about the 2step if you were doing track i would say a4 otherwise not. The m6 is a beast it will hold alot more, and the rearends i never have had an issue with. If you treat it well it will be fine that means do not get into the car and slam gears until you know how to drive it well and don't just launch it on any kind of gripping tires or it will break they are weak. Rearends break because of a sudden change in torque so thats why with rough manual drivers they break dropping the clutch is an immediate shift of torque directly to the rear and the trans can handle it no problem autos absorb some of the torque shock and apply it more evenly to the rear thus last longer there is always the occascion.

The 9" is a better choice but it has less loss to the wheels and its ford.

The ss has better suspension and exhaust and induction slp headed it up same as the ws6. Every SS has an slp factory number no other camaro does so its worth alot more and alot sweeter in my opinion its ram air that gives the extra 15hp. Why would people do ss clones?? can't afford the real thing. Also the trans am would be my option i love the 4th gen but am a camaro guy otherwise.

Also not true about every ls1 being an ls1 car. Sorry the 01 was faster than the earliers and the 02 is better. 01's got the ls6 intake with egr delete and the 02's got the new heads which was even better.

I personally for mods would get the ss or ws6 pipe its a little bigger after the y than the trans am or z28 exhaust and knock the bricks out of the cats remove rear o2's turn off emissions change muffler and stick a small cam in it. Cams are a breeze to change and for 400 bucks or so you could be in the 450 hp range at the flywheel. 228 cam is good from tsp especially with an ss or ws6. A lid and intake would help too. I wouldn't do headers until i did a head change but thats mean personally why try to flow a restricted head more by headers its a bandaid not a fix.

Stock computer can run a 228 or 224 cam it will be a little rough but it will learn it and be fine. With a tune though you should easily be low 12's with a good rear. You can do low 12's on a stock rear just have to have a little more power and no dr's. Launch her easy
Old 08-16-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Radcannon
Not sure about the 2step if you were doing track i would say a4 otherwise not. The m6 is a beast it will hold alot more, and the rearends i never have had an issue with. If you treat it well it will be fine that means do not get into the car and slam gears until you know how to drive it well and don't just launch it on any kind of gripping tires or it will break they are weak.

The ss has better suspension and exhaust and induction slp headed it up same as the ws6. Every SS has an slp factory number no other camaro does so its worth alot more and alot sweeter in my opinion its ram air that gives the extra 15hp. Why would people do ss clones?? can't afford the real thing. Also the trans am would be my option i love the 4th gen but am a camaro guy otherwise.

Also not true about every ls1 being an ls1 car. Sorry the 01 was faster than the earliers and the 02 is better. 01's got the ls6 intake with egr delete and the 02's got the new heads which was even better.

I personally for mods would get the ss or ws6 pipe its a little bigger after the y than the trans am or z28 exhaust and knock the bricks out of the cats remove rear o2's turn off emissions change muffler and stick a small cam in it. Cams are a breeze to change and for 400 bucks or so you could be in the 450 hp range at the flywheel. 228 cam is good from tsp especially with an ss or ws6. A lid and intake would help too. I wouldn't do headers until i did a head change but thats mean personally why try to flow a restricted head more by headers its a bandaid not a fix.

Stock computer can run a 228 or 224 cam it will be a little rough but it will learn it and be fine. With a tune though you should easily be low 12's with a good rear. You can do low 12's on a stock rear just have to have a little more power and no dr's. Launch her easy

wow......

did you just think of all the noob/ignorant things you can put in a post about this topic and shove them into one post for everyone?
i was going to correct it... but there is so much..
Old 08-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Launching!

yep straight noob. correct it for me please.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

yep straight noob. correct it for me please.
like i said... too much... do your reseacrh and you will find out what was incorrect with your post..
Old 08-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Launching!

About the rears or the head and intake change. I might have been a little off on years im not sure on that I will admit that. I believe its 01 though friend has an 00 and it doesn't have the ls6 intake. The intake is good for at least 10 hp way better casting. Solid core casting tin/bismuth is used.

Also the 241 heads i know for a fact were changed towards the end of production.

The rears never had an issue its whined on me. But i had a stock rear end in my 93 180k on body saw multiple mods on the lt1 then an ls1 with ls2 timing change ls6 heads intake 228r cam exhaust and full tune and emission removal. Never had a problem with rear. Have 373's in a stock ten bolt in my 94 fully forged ta supercharged. Just over 400 at the wheels right now doing an m6 swap and ls1 computer swap should be over 600 at wheels after computer swap doing meth injection now too.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Launching!

About the rears or the head and intake change. I might have been a little off on years im not sure on that I will admit that. I believe its 01 though friend has an 00 and it doesn't have the ls6 intake. The intake is good for at least 10 hp way better casting. Solid core casting tin/bismuth is used. There are always factor freaks just because your stock 98 went faster in the 8th than your other cars doesn't mean they are faster. There is a variety of variation between production cars **** a factory car was ran in the high 12's before. Can't remember who but the owner was doing low 13's stock and a pro driver got in it and did 12.7 i think.

Also the 241 heads i know for a fact were changed towards the end of production.

The rears never had an issue its whined on me. But i had a stock rear end in my 93 180k on body saw multiple mods on the lt1 then an ls1 with ls2 timing change ls6 heads intake 228r cam exhaust and full tune and emission removal. Never had a problem with rear. Have 373's in a stock ten bolt in my 94 fully forged ta supercharged. Just over 400 at the wheels right now doing an m6 swap and ls1 computer swap should be over 600 at wheels after computer swap doing meth injection now too. No rear issue although whinning sure its on the way out. Oh i should mention thats on slicks not drag radials. with skinnies up front and i burn them on demand.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
wow......

did you just think of all the noob/ignorant things you can put in a post about this topic and shove them into one post for everyone?
i was going to correct it... but there is so much..

^^
For the record, my A4 10 bolt had fresh diff fluid & only 3 track passes on Kumho street tires launching at 1k. I got it at 83k, diff blew at 90k. Just recently got a tune (!Torque Management) the same week as I added LS6 & LTs.

check this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...e-ran-vin.html
That's the thread I made before buying this car; she appeared to have been meticulously taken care of.

Point being, you can treat her right, but she can still break.

Auto will take more abuse than manual will. Either way, make sure you have some "oh ****" money sitting aside, always.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure about the 2step if you were doing track i would say a4 otherwise not. The m6 is a beast it will hold alot more, and the rearends i never have had an issue with. If you treat it well it will be fine that means do not get into the car and slam gears until you know how to drive it well and don't just launch it on any kind of gripping tires or it will break they are weak. Rearends break because of a sudden change in torque so thats why with rough manual drivers they break dropping the clutch is an immediate shift of torque directly to the rear and the trans can handle it no problem autos absorb some of the torque shock and apply it more evenly to the rear thus last longer there is always the occascion.

since it seems you actually care..

A. ram air wont add 15rwhp...
B. how could you prove this on a dyno? ram air would have to be measured with the car driving... will the stock ram air have an improvement over none? yes.. but were talking 5rwhp MAX at 60+mph.. a setup like Chrs1313 or the FTRAs will show a noticeable difference..

year/make/model does not matter when talking fbodys.. an ls1 is an ls1 is an ls1.. sure there are some different options you can get on the car to make the outcome different (stripper VS a vert).. but engine wise they are all the same... there are things the 98s had that the 01-02s didnt come with... it all equals out.. is the ls6 intake a plus? hell yea.. but you cant say 01-02s are faster than 98s.. my 98 ran better than a LOOOOT of 01-02 cars..

a "breeze"... i think not... especially not for someone who is not mechanically inclined.. its a weekend job.. you need the suporting mods.. oil pump timing chain springs push rods headers intake lid tune.. plus all the extras oil spark plugs and all the little O **** things that happen.. for an a4 you need a converter and an m6 you need a clutch..
could you get out cheap? yea.. but not 400 dollars..

a stock ls1 will pick up 25+rwhp with LTs and an ORY.. add a cutout or free flowing muffler and pick up more.. and then some more with a tune.. i wouldnt call that a band aid..

you can do low 11s high 10s on stock rear.. you wont hit low 12s with a bolt on only or small cam only setup with street tires..