Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

LS7 swap into a C4 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS7 swap into a C4 ZR1

Hey everyone!

Been a lurker here for a few months...and time I introduced myself.

I'm working on a new track car (for me) to go along with my daily driver...

I bought a '92 ZR1 rolling chassis last year...and had originally planned to drop a 427 Gen 1 into it until my machinist died and all my parts mysteriously were not there when I went to claim them.

SO, now I have to start over from scratch...and since there isn't really any good reason to do it with a Gen 1 motor, I started to research dropping an LSx into it.

Plans are:
  • LS7 with 12.5:1 C/R running e85 or better
  • Heads/cam/intake...shooting for about 650 RWHP...maybe a bit more later
  • T56 with faceplated 2-5 gears
  • Gen 1 Viper DANA 44 rear end
  • C6 Z06 or Z07 calipers & rotors
  • Full cage

With the ZR1 body I can cram 335's under the rear end so I have at least SOME good tire patches to maintain traction. This will be predominately a track/open road race car...street manners are not an issue.

I've already started acquiring some parts...
  • Lexan rear hatch
  • Carbon fiber top
  • Carbon fiber clamshell hood

With the parts already acquired plus the LS7, it appears I'll have already shaved a good 300+ pounds from the car in LT1 trim and 450+ pounds in LT5 trim...all up high so the C/G will drop significantly.

This will be a slow process for me...I am just about to embark on building a new house for a friend. They start the foundation next week.

First I have a frame shop appointment to get the passenger frame rail pulled...it rode a guardrail at the drag strip after a blowout. Bent in ~1.5" and up ~ 1". Passenger door still operates easily...but needs to be addressed first before I start on anything else.

The cage I plan to model after the Greenwood G572 project...

I love that you can ACTUALLY see back between the "seats" with this design...basically putting a roll hoop above each seat.

Also, with the floor supports this way I can eliminate the "C" beam connecting the trans to the differential...and strengthen the entire drivetrain.

I hope to have it done by next year (2014) in time for track season...but I may be dreaming with everything I have on my plate.

Gonna be a fun project...can't wait to get started and will certainly keep everyone apprised of the progress as I plug away at various portions.

There is a wealth of knowledge here...you guys rock!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely in for progress pics. I am a huge Corvette nut and also huge on new tech in old school cars.

James
Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about grafting the C6 rear suspension (at least) into this car for the last month. The design is much better...and the half shafts won't be a stressed member anymore.

Not too sure if I can use the C6Z06 diff/trans in it though. Until I actually have the donor car and strip everything out of it...I just can't say. I do know that the C6 wheelbase is 10" longer...how much of that is actually a longer overall driveline will be difficult to figure out without some measurements.

I've been keeping an eye on the insurance auctions...so far I've seen 5 Z06's with heavy front end damage sell for anywhere from $8500-$10,500. The ones I'm really watching closely are ones like this:

I'm hoping that because there isn't a chance in Hades that it is in any way going to be salvageable as a driver the prices will be closer to $5k-$6k...

I've just signed onto this auction site a few weeks ago...and the LS7 cars that look like the one above are still awaiting an auction date. I have 6 of them being watched. Have a friend who is a car dealer and licensed so he'll buy the car I eventually decide to get.

This poor 2006 has less than 9000 miles on the odometer...

Nice thing about the Corvette Forum is sometimes you can find out specific stuff about these cars.

This particular one:

I was told by the owner it has <10k miles on the motor...and has a head/cam package on it. He replaced the exhaust valves with stainless ones for peace of mind.

House construction continues and I can't wait for it to be done. I have no room to do any work on the car as my work space is covered in boxes of household goods & furniture. I had to move the car to the barn to keep it under cover...and I ain't workin' on gravel floors. Got a bonus check this week...so I might go talk to the frame shop about getting that done very soon.

Talking (and emailing) some custom frame shops in Texas to see what the chassis work would cost to farm out. I can do a lot of things very well...but grafting a C6 suspension into this isn't something I really want to handle myself. I'll never say I'm an expert in that department...and considering this beast will be clipping along around 200 MPH in West Texas, I want it to be right and to be SOLID.

I CAN do it...but it'll take me 10x longer and I'll always wonder if I got it 100% right. There are some pretty reputable custom frame shops down here...this shouldn't be too far off course for them to handle.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM

WOW!Sick project
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Thats way more project than I would ever want to take on. Always loved that generation of vettes. With a newer powertrain that thing is going to be a beast. You'll need every bit of those 335's out back.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

this is going to be awesome! Subbed!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 AM

very cool!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Teching In

If i was you I would do 13:5.1 compression at least thats what most LS7 guys on the corvette forum go for when running E85. They are usually around the 630-650whp range.

-Curtis
Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look forward to seeing some progress
Old 03-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Looks like a lot of work, looking forward to updates!

Quick Reply: LS7 swap into a C4 ZR1