Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

"New" Girl From Tennessee

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking "New" Girl From Tennessee

I have been a long time lurker of this forum but I'm finally getting ready to drop my '02 LS1 into my '68 Firebird build, so I figured it's due time to introduce myself.

I've had my Firebird since December 19th, 2009, and since the day I got it, I planned to LS swap it. Finally, April of last year, I procured a low mileage '02 z28 donor car. It's definitely been an exciting journey, and I'm sure I've got a lot to learn, as this is my first LS car.

Car is close to finished with metal work, just needs a little time on the rotisserie to finalize some welds in the quarters around the wheel lips, but body work is underway!

So "Hi!" and hope to get to know some of you and your builds!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to LS1TECH....first gen F body swaps are still great to see !!!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hello we need more ladys in car scene. maybe a few more guys can make cakes too. not a bad looking project are you doing most of it yourself? Give us some pics with you and hands dirty pics please. you got our attention. Any questions on things just ask away.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys! Well, in the past I did a little bit of knocking off surface rust
but a year ago, my buddy took it down to his shop and we've been doing a lot of the work ourselves. We did, however outsource the paint and body work. The car is getting ready to come back to my buddy's shop since we're getting ready to fit the motor and trains, Vintage Air, etc. Looking into getting some adapter plates to use Chevy small block mounts.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see a 1st gen Firebird on here, to many people make them into Camaros. I personally prefer them. Props to you.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! can't wait to see her finished.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like you have it well on its way to be on to paint/road before long. you just dont see the firebirds around anymore. I have a few around here but people dont get them out. Alot of camaros around.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks, me too! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, just finished paying my 2014 taxes and my first quarter of 2015 taxes (self employed, hah) so now I can see where I stand on buying some more higher dollar parts for the car.

It's amazing how much receiving a bad part could slow a build down. I ordered a repop bumper because my buddy thought mine was toast, and it ended up having a manufacturing flaw (a fingerprint sized piece of debris) chromed right into the center tip of the bumper. When I returned it for an exchange, they waited a week to tell me they wont be shipping a replacement out because their warehouse put a hold on bumpers going out due to them all having similar issues. Wonderful. Regardless, they gave me a full refund and a voucher for a discount on a future order and were overall easy to work with, but we lost 3 weeks of build time.

Now I'm waiting for an original, triple plated rechromed bumper to arrive from California. My stomach is in knots because the shop is waiting on it, and if it doesn't fit, it's going to be another ordeal. Found out the morning AFTER I ordered that bumper (the company already shipped it, so couldn't cancel), that my buddy found a place locally that can and would fix my original bumper... argh!! aha. Ah well. I am hoping I have a strike of much needed luck and this new-to-me restored bumper will fit as well as a front bumper can fit. haha.

I definitely agree, I much prefer the Firebirds to the Camaros simply because they are less common. I'm not at all a purist, but I would never turn a Firebird into a Camaro (though some will argue that me putting an LS into the car will do that ).
Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

everybody can get a old camaro but firechicken is different. I have one that comes into cruise night that has Ls in it. Guy says it will be beefed up before long. If remember he put in 6 speed. I have 76 skylark with L33 5.3/4L65E in that needs little to be finished. It runs/moves but the small finishes sometimes take longest. Im getting ready to do my custom 4dr squarebody 1/2 ton truck with shortbox all from pieces. Worked in bodyshop so nothing new.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey there! welcome, and also glad to see a firebird (and a girl) I like the less "common" builds good luck with your project=)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Hey! Thanks for the well wishes!

Yeah, the local cruise in the first time I went, there was a line of 1st gen firebirds (3 '67/'68, 1 '69) and after that, I went back the following months and no more 1st gen birds haha. So I'll probably have the only '68 in town.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Where in TN are you? Friends in various places across the state ...
Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Being a girl into cars your going to get some attention. Just take it and go with it. I wish we were closer than our states are so could hang out & have bull sessions. I like the attitude you seem to have going for you. Reminds me of the girl on street outlaw show. Just want to be in guys enviroment car wise which is great. Need more ladies that way I think.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Teching In

I'm currently in Crossville, TN but spend a bit of time in the Knoxville area.

Yeah, it's amazing how the car even helps for business. Whenever I have meetings with clients and they snoop my facebook and they see the car it's almost like it helps seal the deal on a new contract haha.

New pic for the week of some progress!

Old 03-27-2015, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work! Sub'ed for the finished product
Old 03-27-2015, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the amount of time it takes to see progress seems forever. I sold my driver truck tonite to have some money for squarebody build. Its been at idle for little over a year until I sold the 350TBI out of it. So now no motor interior still needs put together, plus all body trim & bumpers. Just got to get the fire to do it now as now truckless.

Quick Reply: "New" Girl From Tennessee