Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

Whats going on?!

I'm restoring a 1968 c10 with a diy build sbc 350. Nothing crazy mild cam new valvetrain stuff.

Wanting to ditch the carburetor junk.

Either 4.8 or 5.3l but wanting to keep my nv3500 trans. I found a post but i will continue to do more research before i make new threads.

First beer run! On Halloween!
Old 01-12-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to site. A pick up like yours pretty easy to get Ls into. Everything on front of motor fits in there. Truck intake works as well. If you have the truck wiring you go to Lt1Swap.com for wiring info. Its not to bad to do. If your motor is 03 or newer you need the gas pedal-tach box & wiring between them-pcm all need to match. On the power steering, change fitting on back of pump and it reconnect ok. Probable want some sort of headers. Ls Silverado radiator hoses work fine.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Right on man! Thanks! Ive got mid length headers made for my sbc, thinking about using them but getting LS flanges and having a shop weld them on...think thats possible?

Any ideas on the nv3500 on a 4.8? Truck is going to be a weekend cruiser not ever do i plan on taking to a track...until i get more money for a 6.0 with a t56 hehe (dreams)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nv3500 that's a 4 speed tranny? Why not go with a 5 speed from Silverado(base truck use them yet I think). If so it probably be easier swap, far as motor to tranny end of things. I only done my swaps with 4L60E as its easier to deal with. I done my 88 squarebody truck and it was easy swap. On your truck for fuel system, lot of guys find S-10 Blazer tank fits in back between frame rails. Just use correct pressure fuel pump. I have a set of the Chinese made stainless shorty headers on ebay. Made decent and fit real well. When bolting them on check bottom side. There a square lug on block that can interfere with flange to head sealing rite. 4.8 and 5.3 motor around here I can get for around $500 dressed with tranny. Miles vary but last 2 I bought had 80k,100k on them.But I had to pull them.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Teching In

76, i appreciate that tip with the headers and fuel tank, i have a blazer tank above the rearend, i will update the pump/sending unit with whatever i get, havent done that much research yet, fuel delivery wont be the problem... it is that i want tl keep my existing trans (nv3500 is a 5 spd from an early 90s c1500, the 4500 was in the 4x4s) and keep the exhaust (minus engine flanges hopefully changed for LS motor)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Can you build a lt1 cheaper/easier? Sometimes I even see lt1's at pick and pull in caprices/impalas. You can get a 383 rolling assembly for them for a grand or a little under. A mid build 383 lt1 is around 450hp. Or is the 4.8/5.3 a way better platform? Forgive my ignorance to the newer motors...
Old 01-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Your right, to whatextent, ls motors from my knowledge have much better engineering and more efficiency...i dont need an insanely high compression motor, after i invest that much money doing so, ive been told that going with the 98 n newer ls setups is better. .. ?? Im right there with you though
Old 01-12-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Al3e925
Your right, to whatextent, ls motors from my knowledge have much better engineering and more efficiency...i dont need an insanely high compression motor, after i invest that much money doing so, ive been told that going with the 98 n newer ls setups is better. .. ?? Im right there with you though
Well an ls1 is better with just bolt ons and maybe a cam, because it comes to you with more power stock vs stock than an LT1. But a built ls1 vs a built lt1 is maybe a 30-40hp difference powerwise, if that, and a built 383 ls1 vs a built 383 lt1 are even closer in power, maybe a 20hp difference for a mid build 383, if any difference at all powerwise. A 383, is a 383 regardless of what it started out being. Of course you're probably not planning on building a stroker as you mentioned you want to keep it simple but not carbed. But if your idea of simple includes heads and a cam, an lt1 can keep up with an ls1 with the same mods like that. My point is that lt1's should be cheaper to come by, and parts are cheaper as well. Idk, I guess I look at your truck and I imagine an "old school" lt1 under the hood, not an LS series. And not because I have 3 lt1's (I'm serious), but because I think an lt1 under the hood is more fitting to the attitude or vibe that the truck puts off when I look at it. Of course, many people like the old school/new school combo of sticking and LS series into something old, and maybe that's you as well. Either way, the truck will be bad ***. I was just wondering if the lt1 would be a competitive alternative to the LS series, with price in mind. I am familiar with the ls1, but know little about the 4.8/5.3's, other than I have heard you can make a lot of power with the 5.3 and different heads or something for not too much cash. That being said, you can find a complete running lt1 for a few hundred bucks if you look around, since nobody wants these motors anymore because of the LS series popularity storm...
Old 01-13-2016, 03:52 AM
Teching In

You do have some good points, and i shall continue more research. Thanks WHOOPASS
Old 01-14-2016, 03:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Al3e925
You do have some good points, and i shall continue more research. Thanks WHOOPASS
Sure no problem. I hope to see it posted when it's finished.

Quick Reply: Hello