Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Fiero + LQ4 + Turbo + CRAZY MAN = (in) Sain Fun.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fiero + LQ4 + Turbo + CRAZY MAN = (in) Sain Fun.

So I am supposed to make an Introduction. Hmm, what to say, what to say.

Well as you already know, I am a Fiero guy, been working on them for just over 20 years. I have been driving them since I was 17.

I like to do things more for fun that perfection. I'm not going to stress because one wire is out of place, if I can jump in it and light the tires up, or do a 3rd gear pull passed a Viper, I'm happy.

So why I am into Fiero's. Well if you could take your F-Body, drop 1000lbs off of it, and move your engine over the rear tires, so you can launch on street tires the way you do at the track on slicks.......... would ya.

I evolved from NA 2.8 Auto, then a Race Prepped 2.9 V6 4spd Standard, then Nitrous on top of that, then moved up to an Aluminum Block 4.9 Caddy V8, modded the hell out of it, until it popped. So now I am where I should have started in the first place, the Iron Block LQ4 that has all the benifits of an LS motor, but the Iron block I can't blow apart as easily.

I picked up a complete Turbo kit from a guy that had it in his SBC Turbo kit car. The kit was spec'ed out for 1000hp on a 383ci Crate motor from GM. It drove for a total of 50 miles and then parked it and parted it.

I found a complete LQ4 with 60,000 miles on it, complete minus the ECM for $1600 CDN, (about 1100 US Funds)

I pulled my blown 4.9 out and sold it complete for $1200 US funds) (lots of high dollar parts were in it)

So thats about where I am at now, got the engine, Turbo, intercooler, exhaust system to fit the Fiero.

I am in Talks with V8 Archie to get me setup with the conversion parts I need, and in talks with EFI Live for one of their Gold Box Package deals. (Stand alone harness, 80lb injectors, 3 bar Map sensor, and related bits)

My goals are not too crazy, 500hp on pump gas, which I know could be done NA for a ton less than with a Turbo, however I want room to grow as I install better stronger parts. I can never leave well enough alone. Maybe down the line, I'll use a bit of nitrous or add a larger turbo. However for now, I want to get it together and on the road.

I am on the fence about Cam/Valve Springs to swap or leave alone. I have seen 2 different trusted sources say "leave it alone" (Sloppy Mechanic and Performance Fiero's / Turbo Charging NA Motors book author.)

I know that topic has been beaten to hell and back, so we can leave that part of the discussion alone.

So here is the car, hopefully this forum uses image tags the same as my last one.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Always do valve springs and pushrods on a turbo car. LS style factory pushrods tend to go banana shaped between 6500-7000 rpm, and factory springs like to float valves at any useful boost pressure. Leave the rest of it alone. An otherwise bone stock LQ4 can take enough boost to put a Fiero into lunar orbit. I'm guessing you are going with Porsche 930 running gear to get that much mid engine power to the ground?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks Gametech, I really had not considered shifting anyplace close to 7000 is even in the realm of possibility? Alright, so Springs and Push rods, I will need a recommendation on which ones to buy. I don't really care about brands, so long as the engine lasts longer than the Transaxle....

On That Note, the transaxle, I'm going to try this on the bone stock Getrag 5spd Fiero transaxle, used in the 86.5-88 V6 cars. There have been mixed information about that trans. In the 90's people ran as much as 500hp and or even Nitrous SBC V8's without them immediately BARF out all the guts onto the track. However on that same note, people with maybe 120hp and 150lbs of torque have managed to split the case. I am more worried about rolling onto the throttle, and going BOOST, POWER, BOOST BOOST, POWER, SLIP SLIP SLIP , SLIP SLIP SLIP. (Sounded funnier in my head as I sung, the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round) Can ya guess that I have a 3 year old daughter and a 6 year old daughter.

Ok, back at it. The clutch I am using a 6 puck, sprung hub, that I got from Clutchnet, in California, it lasted 1/2 dozen pulls in my Nitrous 4.9 V8 hooked to the same transaxle before I blew the motor. So its got like 200 miles on it, and I'm going to try and re-use it with the new Aluminum flywheel for this setup. I plan to keep the tires narrow, 245's most likely. I have some old dried out 225/50/16's on it right now, so I probably won't get enough traction to break anything immediately.

Anyone else got any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I would love to see the results of this project. However, the only way your current drive line will hold up is if you stick with really hard and narrow tires.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Well the trans may hold up longer than expected........................... I got curious about my current clutch and fired an email off to my clutch guy. He called me back with some enlightening and disheartening information. He said my 6 puck sprung hub, simply won't hold more than about 450-500lbs of torque. So anything over that and it'll slip. I asked about maybe a Spec and he said they are cheap garbage compared to his pressure plates and disc's. I've never used a Spec, so I can't comment, but I do know that I have never blown up a Clutchnet Clutch even with the Nitrous'ed 4.9. My only option according to him is a multi disk setup around $4500 bucks or moving to an Auto.

Moving right along,
So I am doing some digging around and found valve springs, but have not found a good recommendation for the push rods.

Last edited by Capt Fiero; 07-15-2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Wrong wording.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I really want to see videos of the final result! Its going to be insane lol!!
Old 08-17-2020, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Bare with me guys, as I try probably a 1/2 dozen times to figure out how to post an external video link.

Quick details, this has been a long term tinker project. Everything went fast in the early part, where it was a lot of "Chequebook" racing. Simply research, then buy parts, then assemble said parts. (deleted, I had a list of family health issues that caused delays, but you guys don't want/need to hear all of them, lets just say it was a rough couple of years) When I started this build, I was pretty much the first Turbo LS Fiero build, and now there are at least 3 builds either in progress or completed. So I'm pretty much in last place, but I reached a major milestone a couple of weeks back. This Bitch, Bastard, Lovely Lady, *****, Angel, SOB, roared to life. If I gave you list of all the obscenities and praise I gave to this car along the way, it would fill the screen. As of right now, the tubular suspension is installed, the temporary big brakes, until I can locate the last few bits for the bigger brakes. (currently 10" going to 11.25") Installed the larger brake master with larger brake booster. Installed poly bushings in the places that I don't have heim joints. Installed, new rack, new tie rod ends, basically every part of the suspension. Replaced worn out struts with cheap coil overs kits. (basically just new struts modified with sleeves and 7-400 coils installed). The chassis of the car had to be modified more than expected, so an 8" long section of frame rail on the passenger side was cut widened and rebuilt. The 6.0 LQ4 got its Aussie Holden oilpan with baffles, Pac1218 springs, Comp Pushrods and an Elgin 1840p camshaft aka Sloppy Stage 2. Engine cradle had new solid mounts welded to it. So engine/trans is now solid mounted to cradle. Meizer waterpump and cooling system was plumbed. Holy CRAP what a nightmare a remote electric waterpump is on an LS Fiero. The Walbro 450 was installed, with Racetronix hotwire kit. Then came the MS3 Gold Box, when I bought it, I thought, damn this will be awesome, I don't have to wire the motor at all. Err Wrong, I still have to integrate the MS3 into the Fiero harness, then integrate the MS3 into the Water pump relay, the fuel pump relay, the electric cooling fans and stuff.

Well once that was all said and done, I just couldn't wait to hear it burble. Its open headers, obviously no turbo, not even O2 sensors yet. I hooked the Turbo oil feed line to oil mechanical gauge, and hit the key. She fired off like a hot damn. The startup tune that EFI Source provided was spot on. I didn't even have the laptop hooked up yet. I was blown away. I've got to figure out a throttle cable bracket, wire up the AEM stuff, and build the Turbo exhaust bits, but ITS ALIVE.

Ok here, it is, http://www.captfiero.com/videos/mycar/LSFirstFireUp.mp4

Old 08-17-2020, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

Pretty cool. I used to want one of these cars.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hah. Captain we meet again on another forum. Where are you now? Long way from WCF I'd guess??

On this forum 'cause I just put a pair of 2004/5 LQ4s in my boat. Lotsa fun.

Can't keep a good swapper down eh?

Good luck with your project. LQ4 Fiero would be awesome. FYI I went HP Tuners rather than EFI live. Either works-I used the HP Tuners on my Cummins truck as well. Their 2 or 3 bar map based OS would likely work well for you. Mine are NA-they have a 1 bar NA SD OS which is what I used.

Now rocking the 1.7T Integra, but I sure miss the hookup of the Fiero-Don't miss the lack of space though!!

Best of Luck!

Chay- Former 3.4T 86front/88 Rear Fiero

Quick Reply: Fiero + LQ4 + Turbo + CRAZY MAN = (in) Sain Fun.