Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newbie from Montana - Ls3 into 49 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Newbie from Montana - Ls3 into 49 Chevy

Hello from the wilds of Montana, been lerking here for a wille. New to LS engines, looking for a lot of info. Plan on installing a gen 4 LS 3 in my 49 Chevy. Larry
Attached Thumbnails Newbie from Montana - Ls3 into 49 Chevy-p1060368.jpg  
Old 01-06-2017, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Maybe you should find a newer car to put the LS3 in. Just send that old '49 over to my side of the mountains! I'll take care of it! What transmission are you thinking about? Looking forward to this build. Certainly don't see these very often.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

I think I'll keep it right here but thanks for the offer. Six speed manual, this was my dads car, he passed away in 1960-- my mom didn't drive so this was my car when I was in the 7th grade. Put a 301 with dual 4's and 4 speed in it when I was a softmore in high school. We've been through a lot together, me and this car. Welded a 69 Camero clip on this in 1988, swapped in a nic built 350 -turbo 400 in 88 worked out well,but its time for an up grade to ls tec. The body and frame have been hydro blasted--- floor boards all replaced new triangulated suspention 12 bolt rear. this has come a long way with a lot yet to do. I'm new to the LS seen so I have a lot to learn. Im just starting my search for a Ls 3 complete drop out. The search begins, any thoughts Larry
Old 01-15-2017, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Well it was worth a try! That is really cool how long that car has been with you! What history and what a great thing to update the powertrain. Actual LS3 pullouts in my area, western Wa are rare. If you do find one, these guys ask premium price every time. I got tired of searching and bought a crate engine. This way, everything is new and clean! Some guys have time and resources to build their own engines and can do so at a reasonable cost. For me it was just easier to buy something that runs. I would say, search through the posts on gen III and gen IV engines. There are a few differences. The newer engines use a 58x reluctor wheel and most of the gen III's use a 24x wheel. Each wheel (24 or 58) use specific ecm's. The 58x (newest) for auto trans, uses a can-bus line between the ecm and the tcm (trans computer module). On the manual trans, I am not sure if it even uses the can-bus. There are several companies that build or rebuild the engine harness. I used speartech. Though not the cheapest, these guys have really helped me out. I cannot speak highly enough of them. Even though you do not intend to use a gen III, it's good to know which parts are interchangeable. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

G.L. With the build. I can trade knowledge for hunting spots!! �� Should be a fun project.
Just an thought for you. Sounds like you like to tinker with motors and upgrades. Spend the money and get the Holley EFI HP or dominator. I got very tired of paying for tunes after every motor upgrade.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Just scored a 2013 camero vin W 6 speed manual 23,000 miles, complete pull out,radiator drive shaft, gas tank pedles , steering column. This is a complete pull out.every thing is here------- LET the FUN begin.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default HIGH "zoot" racers from MO

My story for your "welcome" is about a neighbor of yours, Jeff McPherson.

He used some of my equipment for his race car, his race STARTED at 9000' AND ending 14,000'.

He is a "moo grower" and also sells GM cars.

Welcome

Lance
Old 01-16-2017, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Awesome! A whole bunch of headaches have just been avoided! Good for you. I'll be delivering a car over there in Feb or March. I'll pm you.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

PM me well get to gether :Larry
Old 01-20-2017, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the site.

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 01-20-2017, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Been doing a lot of reading but have a lot questains. Have read that the 2012 pcm will self learn with out a Tune-- is that true? Should that be true how much ( learn can it tolerate) I havent received the engine yet-- will be here on Tuesday-- this has a tr6060 trany and from the looks of this the shifter might need to be relocated -- who makes the best kit to relocate the sifter? This pull out has the drive-line included, will I be able to convert this drive shaft to a 12 bolt posi?-- Spent a fair amount of time searching for a pin out of the pcm for 2012 LS3 is there one on this forum, I plan on building my my own harness. I clipped a rear steer sub frame on this car in 1988, narrowed this frame 2" ------- to dumb at the time to know about reverse off set rims--- used a set of headers ment for a Nova, had to be fabed to fit. I'm not that much of a computer guy, but I'll try to post a bunch of pix of this build. Thanks Larry
Old 01-22-2017, 04:43 AM
On The Tree

I have not heard that the E38 ecm can "self learn". Maybe it can. Pretty sure you will have to get it custom tuned. Mine will be going to a local speed shop. As far as the harness, there should be info on it.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

What info on the harness are you refiring to? Larry

Quick Reply: Newbie from Montana - Ls3 into 49 Chevy