Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello From Across The Pond!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello From Across The Pond!

Hello All,

Just thought I'd say 'Hi' from the UK! Before anyone says 'England' I am actually in Wales! We have our own Language, amongst other things.

Although I don't drive an American car, I am a car enthusiast. I drive something that, unfortunately, is not available in the US:

an MG ZR!

A what?! I hear you ask!

For those of you old enough to remember; MG sold something called the MGB in the US in the 1970s. Well, MG still make sportscars and sports saloons; this time in the form of the TF; ZR; ZS; ZT; ZT-T and SV.

Compared to most American cars, the engines are small - mine is a 1.4L 4-Cylinder putting out 103Ps. This has something to do with the fact that petrol is a lot more expensive in the UK than the US!

However, the current MG range is distinctive in looks and has handling qualities beyond what the majority of similarly-priced cars have. Maybe, in the future, MG will return to the US!

Jason
Old 11-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Teching In

In case you want to see what the ZR looks like:

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Hello From Across The Pond!-mg-zr-105a.jpg  
Old 11-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Banned

welsh ? a fuuny race of people the welsh they talk like they have a mouth full of stones
Old 11-14-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like a Honda Civic Hatchback so i would never buy it
Old 11-14-2004, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by welshMGman
Hello All,

Just thought I'd say 'Hi' from the UK! Before anyone says 'England' I am actually in Wales! We have our own Language, amongst other things.

Although I don't drive an American car, I am a car enthusiast. I drive something that, unfortunately, is not available in the US:

an MG ZR!

A what?! I hear you ask!

For those of you old enough to remember; MG sold something called the MGB in the US in the 1970s. Well, MG still make sportscars and sports saloons; this time in the form of the TF; ZR; ZS; ZT; ZT-T and SV.

Compared to most American cars, the engines are small - mine is a 1.4L 4-Cylinder putting out 103Ps. This has something to do with the fact that petrol is a lot more expensive in the UK than the US!

However, the current MG range is distinctive in looks and has handling qualities beyond what the majority of similarly-priced cars have. Maybe, in the future, MG will return to the US!

Jason
There are plenty of MGs over here, just very few newer models. People still love the older models and I see them quite frequently. I must admit, I am still unclear about what a sports "saloon" actually is. In the US, it would sound like a Sports Bar.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

... This has something to do with the fact that petrol is a lot more expensive in the UK than the US! ...

Jason
Give it time we are catching up..

On that note how much is gas for you guys? And what octaines are availble.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by yanks cars a joke
welsh ? a fuuny race of people the welsh they talk like they have a mouth full of stones
Its like your screen name was meant to antagonize. Befor you make such a bold statement that yank cars are a joke you should drive a Mustang Cobra or anything LS1 powered here in yank land where the roads are flat, smooth, straight, and long.

Yank cars may be a joke but dont forget we invented the V8 and yank cars are kings of drag racing.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Teching In

A 'Sports Saloon' is a saloon car (think Honda Accord, for example), but with improved driving abilities (steering; gearbox; brakes; suspension). Gives sporty performance but with saloon (or, Sedan - US term) interior space.

Price per litre of Shell Optimax is 89.9p - which works out as about $6/gallon!

Jason
Old 11-14-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

A 'Sports Saloon' is a saloon car (think Honda Accord, for example), but with improved driving abilities (steering; gearbox; brakes; suspension). Gives sporty performance but with saloon (or, Sedan - US term) interior space.

Jason
Saloon = 4 Right?

AND

$6.oo/gallon
Old 11-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Yes, saloon is 4-door.

The Octane Rating of Shell Optimax is 98. The car does run better on it. Supermarket fuel is low-grade stuff - lots of people have had problems (engine cuts out/misses/kngaroos etc).

So, you can see why big V8s have not taken off in the UK!

Jason
Old 11-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
Its like your screen name was meant to antagonize. Befor you make such a bold statement that yank cars are a joke you should drive a Mustang Cobra or anything LS1 powered here in yank land where the roads are flat, smooth, straight, and long.

Yank cars may be a joke but dont forget we invented the V8 and yank cars are kings of drag racing.

so that's the yanks claim to fame is it ? oh look we invented the v8 and king of drag racing lol any moron can make a car go fast in a straight line that's why the Americans make them
Old 11-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so that's the yanks claim to fame is it ? oh look we invented the v8 and king of drag racing lol any moron can make a car go fast in a straight line that's why the Americans make them

who is this fool?? sounds like an imbred britt i ran into a while ago..
Old 11-14-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha do the british even have top fuel drag cars?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Jason
So a saloon would be something like a 7-series BMW?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Apparently we run all around you at Le Mans as well, so shut it. Apparently not everyone can make a car go fast in a straight line, as most British cars never have and generally continue the trend.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BadAndy
Apparently we run all around you at Le Mans as well, so shut it. Apparently not everyone can make a car go fast in a straight line, as most British cars never have and generally continue the trend.

Good call Andy! (and your sig mod is noted)
Old 11-14-2004, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Oh you like that one, huh?
Old 11-14-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a big of Aston Martins for strait line jobs

I see a lot of MG's at classic car shows as well, seeing a new one on the road is very rare though as others have pointed out. Your's looks very fun to toss around though, especially with the infamous curvy roads that we hear about that are across the pond.

If you are indeed from England, you alone dispel the myth that the English write better with more coherence than Americans.

-Todd

Last edited by Gloveperson; 11-14-2004 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

No coherence, diction, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, syntax. Strunk and White would **** hemselves.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:18 AM
Teching In

The BMW 7-Series is what most people in the UK would call 'large'! or even 'huge'! Not to mention expensive.

When we talk of 'family saloons' we tend to think in terms of Ford Mondeo/Honda Accord/BMW 3-Series.

Yes, the new MGs are fun to throw around on the twisty roads. Going araound roundabouts is also fun.

Straight-line darg racing, whilst it does have a following in the UK, is not that popular. We prefer a mix of twists and straight sections, so as to test the cars' handling ability; the torque; acceleration; and the drivers' skill in taking the right line; braking distances etc.

Oval track racing is also gaining popularity.

Next year, have a look at the BTCC races (or, maybe, there might be some repeats somewhere on the Sat/Cable channels of the season just passed). These take saloon cars (such as the MG ZS) and race bumper-to-bumper around twisty tracks. Generally lots of overtaking and diving through gaps!

Jason