Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Chevy enthusiast shot down...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy enthusiast shot down...

Hey all, i used to be into the whole import tuner scene until i started working at a chevy dealership which turned me into a domestic lover. But the only problem was i was posting on this import forum about chevy's new cobalt and everyone repeated flamed me for bringing up the fact that the cobalt would pretty much beat every foreign car there is performance wise. Im kinda pissed cause im tired of these people with vtec thinking there badass or something. i mean it was meant for fuel economy and they act like its a shot of spray or something. I was reading about the cobalt ss runnin a 2.1 60' ft time, and some guy with a stock 97 integra says he cut the same time bone stock with stock tires. is that complete bullshit or what. sorry this prolly is the wrong forum but i just needed some domestic support and knew id find it here...
Old 04-22-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tmajik86
Hey all, i used to be into the whole import tuner scene until i started working at a chevy dealership which turned me into a domestic lover. But the only problem was i was posting on this import forum about chevy's new cobalt and everyone repeated flamed me for bringing up the fact that the cobalt would pretty much beat every foreign car there is performance wise. Im kinda pissed cause im tired of these people with vtec thinking there badass or something. i mean it was meant for fuel economy and they act like its a shot of spray or something. I was reading about the cobalt ss runnin a 2.1 60' ft time, and some guy with a stock 97 integra says he cut the same time bone stock with stock tires. is that complete bullshit or what. sorry this prolly is the wrong forum but i just needed some domestic support and knew id find it here...
Sounds like they are a little nervous
Old 04-22-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cobalt SS's arent even out yet (I also work at a Chevy dealership)...the regualr cobalt sedan and coupe is jsut a 140HP econo car. Its the cavaliers replacement.

The Cobalt SS is meant to compete with other 200HP pocket rockets like the SRT-4, ION Redline, Sentra SE-r, Civic Si and RSX.

It'll run with those cars for sure...its not gonna blow em away. And if that guy whose running a stock Integra, is running an Integra GSR or Type R then its VERY likely he'll run similar times as the Cobalt SS. The GSR puts down about 170 HP and the Type R puts down 195...both cars weigh about 400lbs less than the Cobalt SS which puts down about 205HP...so its not unbelieveable that a stock Integra can beat a Cobalt SS.

Now obviously I love my camaro more than life itself. My 99 is the first of 4 camaros I plan to own (69, 71/72, 88/89 being the other 3 ), I love raw, brutish american muscle.

But I also own a Honda and the car has been a warrior (now after 237K miles on it, its time to replace the engine...for $900 installed, I get an engine that puts down 35HP more than my original and has 160K miles less than my current motor!) and its cheap to maintain. I can respect REAL import tuners. The guys who actually make something out of thier econoboxes.

Of course an Integra is never going to be (realistically) a Camaro or Firebird. But neither is a Cobalt. A Cobalt (even the SS) is by no means a mean, brutish american muscle car. Its a tuner car.

Getting flamed just because you like a chevy tuner is wrong...but going to an import board and talking about how this new american tuner car (that isnt even out yet...) is going to blow everything away (magazine racing) is about as deserving of a flame as the Mustang GT guys coming over here and telling us how a Mustang GT is leaps and bounds ahead of an LS1.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Ginger Hater

but i just needed some domestic support and knew id find it here...
you'll find alot of support and alot of commom sense here as well.

Welcome
Old 04-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Teching In

to hitmeoff, its not like i was talking smack to the peeps on that import forum, i just basically said stock for stock the cobalt has more torque throughout its powerband than most other I4 on the market, natrually aspirated anyway. Then they go off and say that new i-Vtec in the rsx and civic would blow this car away blah blah blah. im like i understand its a biased forum but torque is what getts you moving not vtec. after owning a honda, i know what its like to be driving a torqueless car compared to one with it, big difference but they'll see my point when there gettin passed by a cobalt one day...
Old 04-23-2005, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hitmeoff
Cobalt SS's arent even out yet (I also work at a Chevy dealership)...the regualr cobalt sedan and coupe is jsut a 140HP econo car. Its the cavaliers replacement.
Well actually, I saw a Cobalt SS, brand spankin new at the track a couple weeks ago. He spun through the first 2 gears, then finally laid off the gas enough to gain traction. I wanted to tell the guy he's a nut for racing it before he broke the car in. He still had the freakin temporary tags on the car!

As for the import tuner guys that are typing smack, I say let the motor do the talking.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

I have my doubts about it being faster than a srt-4 but you never know. As far as faster than the hondas. stock for stock it will be close. It should blow them out of the water but you never know.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:42 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

hey check it out: buy an Fbody or Mustang. Then let em whine all they want.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
hey check it out: buy an Fbody or Mustang. Then let em whine all they want.
LoL, id love a camaro ss but i cant afford one much less insure one, but im still gettin a cobalt, so thats a chevy. plans are to just spray a 75 through the stock motor and go from there.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've, seen a bunch of them at my local dealer, Cobalt SS right? nice car for the price.
I wish they were out when when I was younger, I would have bought one.