General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Weird Problem, Not VATS but car wont start sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Problem, Not VATS but car wont start sometimes

Very odd problem.. It only happens once in a blue moon.. I drive the car to work today with no trouble at all, now I get NOTHING when I hit the key.. gauge lights come on but not so much as a "click" from the starter.. Battery is fully charged.. It’s done this a handful of other times.. Most of the time I let it sit for a while and it fires up, sometimes it takes longer than others.. During that time I play with the shifter because I thought it may be neutral safety switch.. One night at the track we tried for 30 min to start it and finally gave up, we took a screw driver to the starter and it fired right up and drove it home.. After getting home I turned it off and immediately started it with no problem..

If it were VATS we wouldn’t have been able to jump the starter right?? Also, I have two keys for the car and when it decides not to start neither key will work..

It used to have a Hurst Quarter Stick in it and the wiring for the shifter has been butchered so my only guess is that every so often something isn’t connecting right?? It’s a very annoying problem as I never know when it will/won’t start
Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe the security light stays on if it's VATS. I had intermittent trouble with my car awhile back where it would turn over but not fire. It was the ignition relay. Your problem sounds like VATS to me though, so check for the security light.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Security light comes on for a few seconds but always goes away.. Like most of the other lights on the dash its just part of the systems check or whatever when you first turn on the key.. It goes away shortly after turning the key to "on"
Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think it will run if it's a VATS issue even if you jump the starter. It would turn over but not run. At least that's what I remember reading about it. You mentioned the shifter though so maybe the car doesn't think it's in Park? Not sure about the auto shifter setup to be honest.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Can you hear your fuel pump prime when you turn the key? You wont get fuel without the VATS working. It will throw a code, i believe its P1970 if i remember correctly when my VATS went out.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Fuel pump is primming
Old 08-10-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe the ignition switch itself? I know the car won't turn over if it's VATS, and that is how I tracked mine down as the ignition relay because mine did turn over. It's gotta be something in there with that shifter. Check for wires that have been soldered or anything like that. Neutral safety switch might be causing issues. If there isn't a security light, I'm fairly certain it isn't VATS since you jumped the starter.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

I agree that it’s not VATS.. I can only assume the wiring where the shifter is because its BUTCHERED.. some wires aren’t connected at all, others are taped up to other wires of a different color.. it’s a mess.. My backup lights don’t work either but I'm not 100% sure that both lights are good.. Another weird thing is that I can start the car in gear.. I found out one day but accidentally starting it in reverse and the car just took off..
Anyone have a factory wiring diagram or could you share a detailed pic of the wiring under the console with the shifter?? Thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2011, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its a 6 speed it could be the the clutch switch not realizing you have the clutch pushed in
Old 08-11-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Fix the wiring to the shifter itself. It tells the pcm what gear the selector is in so maybe thats your problem. Not gonna turn over if the pcm thinks the shifter is in gear and not P or N. More than likely thats also why it cranked in gear when it did. I'll see if I can dig up a diagram or find out how they are supposed to be connected.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

I was planning to fix the wiring today but I took off the console and as I sit here looking at the mess I dont even know where to start lol.. He has two relays taped together that control god knows what and a slew of wires going god knows where.. I thought a video might help so here ya go..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOZNOJoSfs4
Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

I know its alot to ask but if someone could PLEASE take a picture of the two relays located under the console I would greatly appreciate it.. I can figure out where most everything goes but I have no idea what color wires go to what prongs on the relays.. Its a guessing game I would rather not play