General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

considering a custom xpipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default considering a custom xpipe

right now I have a y-pipe w/ a cutout and no cats, would a x-pipe show a noticeable increase over my setup in terms of hp?

any dyno comparisons ? thx
Old 09-20-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not the most knowledgeable but from my gatherings a noticeable gain? probably not. a few hp most likely. in theory the x pipe would help flow and efficiency of getting the exhaust out due to the scavenging effect. since it doesnt look like you have any power adders or a cam the headers and y are plenty.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

x pipe always outflows y, also deleting cats will improve flow even more...probably 5-10 RWHP from y to true duals? Probably not noticeable..Will probably sound better though
It will be most beneficial when you add a cam, heads, and other internal engine mods because you then become dependent on flow.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been contemplating the same thing.

True dual before the axle in H or X vs. Y-pipe with dual 3.5 cut outs.

I was thinking of keeping the Y-pipe since I've received a lot of complements on the sound of the cat back, and that was with a stock LS1, but now that I will be stuffing in a 455, with step header (to 1-7/8), I imagine it would sound even better, but with the added 3.5 cut outs; I'm just wondering if it would perform as well as a H or X true dual that dumps before the axle.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
I've been contemplating the same thing.

True dual before the axle in H or X vs. Y-pipe with dual 3.5 cut outs.

I was thinking of keeping the Y-pipe since I've received a lot of complements on the sound of the cat back, and that was with a stock LS1, but now that I will be stuffing in a 455, with step header (to 1-7/8), I imagine it would sound even better, but with the added 3.5 cut outs; I'm just wondering if it would perform as well as a H or X true dual that dumps before the axle.
no...X/H always outflows a Y
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even WITH 3.5 cut outs?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Even WITH 3.5 cut outs?
having dual cut outs after each header collector is the same as having true duals, common sense... to the OP, duals will outflow Y pipe most of the time (depending how wide is your I pipe is) hence more rwhp\tq but whether it is noticeable or not i cant tell you. if you are staying bolt ons id keep the Y. I my self would keep the Y pipe. easier, quieter, more comfortable in some cases and cheaper. if you must change you might also consider a better merge collector and a wider I pipe.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
having dual cut outs after each header collector is the same as having true duals, common sense... to the OP, duals will outflow Y pipe most of the time (depending how wide is your I pipe is) hence more rwhp\tq but whether it is noticeable or not i cant tell you. if you are staying bolt ons id keep the Y. I my self would keep the Y pipe. easier, quieter, more comfortable in some cases and cheaper. if you must change you might also consider a better merge collector and a wider I pipe.
That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure.