LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Midwest Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 02:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Default Midwest Chassis

I wanted to post about my experience with Midwest Chassis in IL, I am definitely not happy with the outcome. I started talking to Eric (the owner) in April of 2013 about bringing my camaro to him to get the cage upgraded from 10pt to 25.x, mini tubbed, firewall done, and new turbo setup. We emailed prices and build plans back and forth; I was told upfront they would need the car at least a year in order to do for the prices quoted. The car was supposed to be documented throughout the build so I would have records of it incase I were to ever sell it. I was told to bring the car as a roller so it could be moved if needed. The car already had full suspension, 9in, race brakes, certified 10 point cage and ran mid 5’s in the 1/8, a pretty good chassis.

July 20th 2013 I had my brother take the car there and left $5,000 cash deposit. The plan was to mail payments in during the build and then make one final payment when picking up the car. I was going to sell off the old parts that were still on the car as a roller and they were going to ship them out.

September 18th 2013 I sold the whole front end (k member, rack, control arms, brakes, etc) everything minus the and emailed the shipping information to Midwest Chassis on September 19,2013. Midwest told me it take them a week or so get it on a pallet and shipped out. They shipped it the last week of February 2014 and the guy that purchased it from me in September 18 received the parts March 5, 2014.

February 3rd 2014 I started talking to the new shop manager at Midwest about updates on the car and found out they started working on it. He gave me his personal cell and said text or call anytime. I asked for pictures of the progress and a bill or invoice. Finally on March 4th I get a single pic of the car showing the cage and floor cutout. I ask for updated pics on April 3rd and don’t receive any. On May 6, 14, and 23 I ask about a bill and never get one.

July 7th Eric called and was told the cage and back of the car was almost done. They needed to know about my final turbo setup in order to start on the front. I was going to ship them a second turbo, I set a brand new one with the car to them and was going to buy a 1 piece front end front them. I asked again about updated pics and an invoice.

August 18th I get a call from Eric about the second turbo and sending in more money. I again asked for updated pictures of the car and kept getting excuses. He was to busy, didn’t have a camera phone, no time, its just a cut up camaro nothing to see. I wanted to see the cage, that’s when he tells me there isn’t a cage installed yet. I even offer to post online and have someone local come by and take pictures for me and he says he will not let anyone in the shop to take pictures.

August 26th I send Eric an email asking for pictures and an invoice and request to handle everything through email so we both have a record of it and to eliminate and future miscommunications. No reply from Eric.

September 9th I get a text from a friend (He knows Eric) of 4 pictures, two of the car and two of parts. Still no word from Eric.

September 18th I send another email Eric requesting an invoice before I’ll send any more money.

September 19th Eric calls and claims he didn’t receive the emails and to send them to a new email address so I forward them to him. I was told my $5k went to $1k for the carbon roof, $3k front-end package and rest labor and they were not working on the car until they received more money.

September 30th I get an email from Eric showing a bill to finish the car, still no invoice for what I paid. The bill was a lot higher than the prices originally quoted when I brought the car there. At this point I decide its best to go get the car from there since the cars status kept changing and the lack of communication.

October 6th my brother and me show at Midwest after driving from TX to pick the car up. It does not match the pictures sent on September 9th. When I walk into the shop I see my rear end taken completely apart laying on the floor in pieces. It should have never been messed with. We loaded up what was left of the car and all the parts. Eric tell me the motor plate, carbon roof and fiberglass trunk lid go with it. I told him I didn’t want to parts and wanted my money back for them since I never had them and they weren’t on my car. He offered a $1k back for the parts so I took it. I got him to give me a receipt; it is for 53.3 hours of labor for $3997.50.

October 8th I email Eric asking for a refund of $3k because the hours he billed do not add up to what’s done to the car. After going back and forth for several emails he claims he actually has 57 hours in the car and should have charged me storage. Its also my fault this happened because I didn’t send any more money in even though I have stated several times, that no money would be sent in without invoices and pictures.

I do not feel I was in the wrong for requesting invoices and not sending money without documentation or updates. Besides the $4k I lost to Midwest, Im out $2k in travel expenses and lost a good car. What do you think?

JULY 20 How car left
Name:  AF7B22CA-C005-4FCC-BDE5-BF23BFD6EB25_zpsk4b5s3x9.jpg
Views: 2220
Size:  80.0 KB
Name:  B723E541-52EF-4819-93FF-12C5CA7F03E7_zps5kmuwdub.jpg
Views: 2987
Size:  180.0 KB
Name:  935C330E-810A-41D8-A718-4A96FC03916C_zpsv7g8fkwq.jpg
Views: 2885
Size:  178.3 KB

March 4 Picture from Shop Manager
Name:  6B8868D2-06F9-422C-9F18-F5C52BC2656C_zpsjgufnyhl.jpg
Views: 2604
Size:  94.7 KB

September 9 Pictures Eric text to a friend of mine
Name:  E8D98179-75EA-44D3-B641-04A31255FD0F_zpsixrqmpsp.jpg
Views: 2263
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  07BD47CB-213D-4A37-AA70-8DB4A42900A5_zpsbywug1o9.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  74.1 KB
Name:  2EFC59C0-2B31-4D1D-A58E-69944A0C00FB_zpssnpqqrku.jpg
Views: 2345
Size:  84.2 KB

October 6 How car was when I arrived at Midwest
Name:  EA91E5B5-0AC4-4893-BC11-EE2F9C90F850_zpskpnpo1hj.jpg
Views: 2211
Size:  90.3 KB
Name:  018CF471-494C-4E1D-972D-F31DBDBA3C0A_zpshllvme6w.jpg
Views: 3184
Size:  102.1 KB
Name:  416E68D2-F1C1-4D55-A702-9439C894DE47_zpswqjzuurb.jpg
Views: 2139
Size:  107.9 KB
Old 10-24-2014, 11:20 PM
9 Second Club

Long read but worth it

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...882&highlight=
Old 10-28-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

doesn't surprise me one bit. Eric makes quality stuff but he has a real problem promising deadlines he can't come close to delivering on.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a whole to more to the story, not worth it to waste the time explaining it. Please understand that the duration of this situation is not the subject. I was up front about how long it was supposed to take, we have 57 documented hours in it as it sat.

Anyone want the real info feel free to call me.

Last edited by ssvert99; 10-28-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:40 PM
9 Second Club

The yellow bullet link tells the whole story. You can see what kind of company Midwest is by their replies in that post. Several of their former customers posted about there issues they have. You'll see in the post I'm not the only one out there.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Well of course. Why would we expect anything less from the wagon riders hanging out in the lingering green cloud known as the bullet. A whole bunch of experts that know everything about nothing. And why would a person that runs a business spout off about all this under a different user name. Lsx power tuning must be perfect.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:30 PM
9 Second Club

I posted this under the same exact screen name I posted it on yellow bullet on, no secrete there. Does it matter if I own a business? Does that change the facts, didn't think so. I know several people on who own business's and have there business account and personal account. Been on tech for 10 years, not like I made up some new account to make a post. The bottom line is I posted what happened, now your trying to send pm's to people and have people call you so you can tell me then it's not true, I didn't have the money or whatever your saying this week. I have had numerous previous customers of yours and even a previous employee pm about this whole ordeal, I'm not he only one out there that has a problem with you.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
There's a whole to more to the story, not worth it to waste the time explaining it. Please understand that the duration of this situation is not the subject. I was up front about how long it was supposed to take, we have 57 documented hours in it as it sat.

Anyone want the real info feel free to call me.
It's funny how you couldn't produce any documentation until a week after I got the car.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Get it right... you got a full documented and broken down estimate of repairs with *current* specs of your build a week before you got the car(tues, sept 30). After that I never received any contact from you until seen you here the following Monday.

You got pics, you got a estimate showing your deposit. You had ok'd more work and to continue the job just a few weeks prior to this, you were sent pics after we spoke.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Several pictures sent Sept 9th, through a mutual friend in order to not give out my personal cell number...

Emailed formal notice of current build showing estimate of repairs and ROA:
Sept 30th:

Lorenz... I have here compiled a baseline estimate of the Camaro build as we have discussed. Now that we are on a true build plan we need to be on the same page as to what we are doing with your car so we can get this thing completed without any other delays. Following is a basic list of what we are doing and the approximate costs. Obviously as we go on things can change with additions, deletions, mods, etc that can affect the outcome of the build, and hence the costs and time that it takes to build something of this level. Don't let it scare you... keep in mind this will be a car that is light, safe, and done right the first time to where you should never need to do any upgrades, even if you want to class race. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I am pretty well set on my end and as soon as you start the cash flow we will prioritize your project. I need the shop space so let's get rolling!

Body:

25.3 new chassis build, custom tail section and engine bay bars for twin turbo 10,000.00
full weight reduction plan, replacing rear floors/tubs in sheet metal(steel)
install fiberglass deck lid, installing all custom lexan windows 5,000.00
replace oem hard top with MWC custom carbon fiber panel 1,000.00
Glasstek bolt-on rear deck lid 500.00
Optic Armor full lexan kit w/ tinted sides and rear 1300.00
Removable oem nose w/ hood mounts(original fenders/fascia/hood) 1800.00
Custom motor plates installed (3/8 alum front, 1/8 steel rear) 700.00
Custom steering column w/ SFI coupler 300.00
Custom driveshaft loop installed 100.00
FE36 fire system installed 900.00
3-5 gal fuel cell installed
mounts installed: V300, helmet, steering wheel, fire system, brake hose, seat belts,
oem dash, oem pedals incl.

Rearend/suspension:

Complete custom MWC fabricated 9" rearend package(housing, torque arm,
crossmember, Strange 40 spline Pro Race lightened axles, Ultra Case center section
w/ pro gear, 3.35" large bearing housing ends, Strange Pro Race steel brake kit, all
steel parts powdercoated black, complete assembled and installed for roller. 4550.00

MWC chromoly adjustable LCA and PHB set 300.00

MWC complete chromoly race front package: Custom k-member, lowers, uppers,
tubular spindles, pinto rack kit, Strange Pro race steel brake kit, needle bearing
jointed steering shaft(using existing shocks) 2800.00

Send existing Afco shocks to Menscer Motorsports for custom valving (est)1000.00

Fabrication:

Custom twin turbo build: including stainless headers, hot side, exhaust, and
direct charge pipes to throttle body. MWC to supply tubing, flanges, waste gates,
and BOV's. Customer supplied BW S480 turbos(2) 4200.00

Total job as quoted 34,450.00
Less deposit(07/13) -5,000.00

Balance 29450.00

We can also do things like chassis paint(or powder even), Racewire Solutions wiring system, fuel system plumbing, brake system plumbing, etc.

Last edited by ssvert99; 10-30-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Saturday Oct 4th:

Can I get an invoice showing what the all the $5k included?

I will be there Monday or Tuesday to pick the car up depending on how long it takes to get there pulling my enclosed trailer.

Thanks
Lorenz
LSX Power Tuning
Old 10-30-2014, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

LSX Power Tuning: October 8:

I do not want to be that guy but I am not going to do nothing and take a huge lose over this. It cost me $1,000 to take the car to you and another $1,000 to come get it. Besides losing that and the $4,000 cash you charged I lost a whole 5 second car chassis that was super clean.

There is no possible way there is $4,000 in labor or 53 hours of work in my car as it sits, I took a stripped shell to you. The hours do not add up, period. So far the two chassis people that have seen the pictures both said that looked like about two days of work going off the before and after pictures. At $75/hr for two days thats $1200 not $4,000. You told me on the phone that my $5,000 was used up, $1,000 went to the carbon fiber roof that I got $1,000 refund already for, $3,000 was for the front end and sent pics of a k member and a arms and rest was labor. When picked up the car there was no k member or a arms included but that didnt get refunded. Now the issue with my rear end, there is zero reason it should have ever been messed with besides taking it out of the car. I am dropping it off next week to get assembled just to make sure all the parts are there. Its going to cost me $200 to get it put back together like it was. If you take the $200 off the $1200 that leaves a $1,000, so I am asking for $3,000 back in order to make this right. Thats being more than reasonable considering how much I am actually losing over this for you not being able to provide invoices or updates on a build. I never thought in a million years I would be going through this with Midwest chassis but I guess its different when the customer is 1,000 miles away and not local.

If you refund $3,000 I have no problem signing documents saying we are even, I wont take you to court and that I wont post any of this online.

MWC, October 13:

First, your rearend was disassembled to help both of us as you could have sold and shipped it much easier and less cost. As a heavy, complete assembly it was taking up space in my shop and dangerous for an employee to continually move around as after a year you were not doing much with trying to get it out of here. Figuring the inconvenience and potential for injury here it was better for both of us to disassemble it and put it into lighter individual pieces, making it easier for you to sell/ship as you did the front end kit. I was trying to help you.

For the big story here, we have way more than 53 hours in this car, and I will need to charge you for storage. All the removed parts, and the car body in my shop with no more money sent in (as I asked you for back when you ok'd the removal of the roof and the carbon replacement, and for me then to send pics which you did receive) had consumed a spot in my shop for a long time where we could have used that space for other work. I was informed by your brother that those items would be sold and I was willing to ship them for you to whoever they went to, just like the front end did.

You did not bring me a "stripped shell". You brought a complete rolling chassis chassis with a roll cage welded in, complete assembled and installed rearend/suspension, welded in SFCs and crossmember, complete installed front suspension, complete factory deck lid with glass installed and bolted to car in stock fashion, stock glass windshield installed, stock fenders, front, and rear bumpers installed, complete assembled and filled brake system and pedals installed, oem doors installed, Parachute package installed. Careful removal of all these parts, storage, and required disassemble is time consuming. There was still fuel hoses on the car! I myself have over 15 hrs in what's there, and employee's have well over 40. For instance just the removal of the rear frame inner gussets takes an employee about 6+ hrs per side using a spot weld cutter and grinder. What you took home was a stripped shell with a lot of weight reduction and prep work done.

Some other shops just loving to bash will tell you those things, and of course it won't be in the benefit of us, but you, or they have no idea of what actually went on here or the actual amount of work that was done from the time the car came here. The hours that you were charged more than add up, and I said that to you when you were here that we had more than the 53 in it. You have seen the quality of the builds we do here and there is only one way for it to work out like that... hours. We don't hack or cobble, and I explained to you the basic process and why we do what we do and in the sequence we do it. Not all shops are like this and hence why they may tell you there is only 2 days work there. You get what you pay for and we do it right. There's a reason why you brought your car here in the first place from as far out as you are, I would have expected you to understand what all goes into doing something of this caliber of what you were attempting to build. It is quite obvious you have never done something like this before, I have done it most of my life and been very successful doing it because of honesty, reputation, and outstanding quality.

Now if we want to talk money and lawyers then fine, but you will find that will not benefit either of us in the end, nor will bashing me on the internet. If any of that happens then I sue you for slander and deformation of character, which will end up costing you way more than the 3k. We discussed the 1K refund that I gave to you when you were here, and I specifically asked both you and your brother if it was fair and you both agreed that it was.

Not sure why you are going off like this, but I can assure you there is no reason to be that way, and you were treated fair.

Please give me your thoughts, I am sure we can make an agreement here.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:14 PM
9 Second Club

February 3rd 2014 I started talking to the new shop manager at Midwest about updates on the car and found out they started working on it. He gave me his personal cell and said text or call anytime. I asked for pictures of the progress and a bill or invoice. Finally on March 4th I get a single pic of the car showing the cage and floor cutout. I ask for updated pics on April 3rd and don’t receive any. On May 6, 14, and 23 I ask about a bill and never get one.

August 26th I send Eric an email asking for pictures and an invoice and request to handle everything through email so we both have a record of it and to eliminate and future miscommunications. No reply from Eric.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by minytrker
Not hard to understand. We sent a pic, asked for more money to keep going with, none ever showed up. You knew what the progress was, and where the money was going.

You used an email that didn't work, I let you know of this once we figured that out and communication was no issues from that point. How can you say no reply... I CALLED you and had to ask what your deal is and that I needed to get the project moving as it was taking up space... you even then agreed to more work/cost.

Wow man....
Old 10-30-2014, 12:45 PM
9 Second Club

I sent email to eric@midwestchassis.com same email I used in the past that you replied to.

You sent pics of parts and said money went to labor, roof and front end kit yet none of that came with the car. When I picked it up, the money was then all labor. Why would you send pics of parts and then change your story once again.
Why was the rear end took apart, which of the 3 versions you have told are the truth? Why was the turbo taken out of the box it came in and returned in a plane box? Lots of things dont ad up.

If you would have put 1/2 as much effort in sending pics and an invoice as you have in trying to bash me online we wouldn't be in this situation. You can get an invoice in the middle of a build, several people and shops posted on YB that they do that and its the norm.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I explained that the email account is setup with a spam blocker and I was not receiving your previous emails. I got back in the account and reset your address to acceptable once we had discussed that I was not seeing any of yours.

Parts we had built for your car and invested time and money in. Had you taken any of those pats beyond the 1K refund, then you would have owed more when you picked it up. I offered the roof again at that time to make the numbers come out right for no refund, but you declined.

The rear was disassembled due to the space it consumed on the floor and the safety issues of people having to move a 200 pound item. The disassembly had just taken place a few days before you got there parts still needed cleaned as I figured we were still moving forward with the build. The parts would have ended up on the shelf near where the car was once we got to that point. Not sure what you have been hearing, but this is the same story you were told when you asked. Believe me... there is nothing I would need with a used Moser 9" rear or Areospace brakes.

The turbo was out of the original box and holes all sealed up(just the way it was when you got it back) for the purpose of mapping out your turbo system I was supposed to build. I didn't do any other turbo kits while your car was here, I have no other reason to waste time messing with it other than for your car. This is the same reason the k-member we had for you was setup in the car.

Seems as if we have someone here that has only heard about 1/2 of what was said... it just keeps coming though.

Last email exchange before this BS starts:

It is what it is bro. I have 57 in it, no matter what anyone says... that's the records I have here from myself and 3 employees times. Like I mentioned, the money was to go for materials and the few parts we have to have to move forward with the job. You were informed of this and sent a picture in April when you asked for it. There is no invoice at that time because the job is not complete... invoice is for completed work with full payment for that completed work. The work was not complete, the payment was not complete. We did what we had money to work from as stated earlier. Anything exchange during the job is nothing more than deposit received on account, working from a estimate, and I can apply that deposit money to anything on the job as I see need.

You pretty much had been dealing with AJ since you and I made the deal to get the car here for work. You did get a picture as requested from him in April, we told you we needed more money to keep going. The car had quite a bit more work done since that picture you were sent, we were on good terms at that point and even in August when I called you and inquired about the roof panel upgrade. I said we needed more money again, you asked for pics. You got pics, then a updated written estimate to complete the build in the direction you were heading.

The money break down was this:

Mount car to custom fixture(4 man job) and level 125.00 (1.5 hr)
Removal of factory roof and carbon fiber replacement 1300.00 (1k parts, 4hr)
Windshield removal(2 man) 125.00 (1.5 hr)
Stock body panels removed 225.00 (3 hr)
Front suspension removal(2 man), disassembly for storage 225.00 (3 hr)
Rearend removal(2 man) 125.00 (1.5 hr)
Suspension removal, disassembly for storage 125.00 (1.5 hr)
Removal of existing roll cage, grind left over welds 300.00(4hr)
Removal of existing welded frame connector set with attached crossmember, grind left over welds 225.00(3 hr)
Removal of brake system, fuel hoses, factory seam sealer in certain places, door weather strips and retainers 600.00 (8hr)
Cutting work for weight reduction and prep for new chassis/sheet metal work 1950.00(26 hr)

57 hours, so just over a week's worth of work. If you look at what was done that's extremely fair, and unless you have done the exact same work then how can you or someone else say what went on in my shop. I don't care what others have done or how much time they say it takes to do, this is what went on.

I'm not sure why you say you can't believe anything I say as it has never changed... not sure why I have to keep stating the same things over. I have absolutely no reason to lie to you about any of it. Only thing that has changed was the overall build of your race car from what we originally spoke about.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

I couldn't get an invoice for months but after I pick up the car all of a sudden it's all documented and you email a break down of money in a few days. Seems a little odd.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Asked for pics... got pics. Explained on the phone of exact condition of what's done several times on phone from shop manager then me. Got more pics and a formal estimate showing the deposit.

Once the formal estimate of actual build it was like crickets then the car leaves. Seems strange.

Last edited by LASTLS1; 10-30-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

There is a huge difference between estimate, invoice , and received on account.

Amazing how threads showing the credibility of the op just disappear too.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Asked for pics... got pics. Explained on the phone of exact condition of what's done several times on phone from shop manager then me. Got more pics and a formal estimate showing the deposit.

Once the formal estimate of actual build it was like crickets then the car leaves. Seems strange.
Asked for pics and invoice since April, got pics sent to someone else in Sept and a estimate a couple weeks later. The condition of the car changed over the phone is one of the reasons wanting pictures.

Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis