Originally Posted by bboyferal

How many total miles on the motor?
450 miles, it's in his first post.
Old 05-02-2006 | 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Oops.
Old 05-02-2006 | 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

First you will probly have to get the motor back to Andy. I'm sure he'll help you out but he probly has to see it for himself to stand behind his work.

As for pressure some of my 650+rwhp cars rune 30psi at idle and 65psi at redline and have been doing so for years with no problems. If it hit's low 20's I'd be worried but I'd be really worried if the pressure was low like yours with such low miles.

I feel Andy's pain since he has someone else building the motor's ,It sucks to warrenty someone else's work. But I als believe it is nut's to buy motor's from people that are cross country
Old 05-02-2006 | 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frost

So now I'm waiting to see what Andy @ A&A Corvette tells me. Of course they want it sent back, but the car is at CAM like I said in NC. I will have to pay to have it pulled, torn down to shortblock, shipped, and when it's fixed, put back together, and then finally re-installed, all while dealing with turbo piping. I am asking Andy to help out with the cost of all of this, since I went the route of professional installation. What do you guys think?

More scorn from the God of Turbo Delay...
What AA is requesting is very appropriate. No company (well 99.9%) ever covers the costs to pull motors etc done by outside companies to examine their part.

I wouldn't expect anyone to cover all those costs you're gonna face with actually getting the engine out and shipped to AA for their examination. But AA does have a great rep and will stand behind their product.
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wet 1
Because Andy has a GREAT rep and stands behind his stuff... that's why.
Its not like he is the only guy that has a great rep I would rather have Futral build my motor than A&A or lots of other shops like Speed Inc so on and so on.
He probibly had a few choices of local or semi local shops to build up an ls1 which is not an exotic motor.
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:04 PM
Launching!

Shitty situation to be in, either lose 3k pulling, shipping and reinstalling, or even more if you go your own route. Sorry to hear it.
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Wink

It is not A&A's responsibility to pay for any labor costs or shipping the engine back to him. It is unfortunate that the engine took a dump. However, we all know that if we don't want any problems with our cars, leave them stock. You gotta pay to play and sadly, sometimes things like this happen. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

A brand new motor that takes a dump like this? I don't think that the customer should bear the full labor cost burden of the consequences. Like I said, I think 50-50 split would be fair.

If Andy is worried about mistakes made by whoever does the install, then it would be a good idea for him to set up a "preferred installer" arrangement with the shops utilizing the A&A motors... where he's confident that the install will be done correctly. Those are probably the shops that are selling product for him, anyway...

It's best for all concerned: the customer is covered fully if he's sold a bad engine, A&A can be confident that the defect was not a result of the install, and the shop doing the work gets paid and benefits from a closer working relationship with a trusted and respected supplier.

Sadly, this level of support for a product would be way above average for most of these aftermarket companies.
Old 05-02-2006 | 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
symptoms were just low oil pressure all the time, and then it got lower lower lower

i typically see over 70# from the stock gauge out of my wheel built pump and engine
same here...im always 60-70

but mine is a cmotorsports outlaw block
Old 05-02-2006 | 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I Had this same issue occur when a former site sponsor built a shortblock for me. I had the same low oil pressure issue from the get go, to eventually losing the motor. It appeared the oil pump I had was junk. I paid for the motor to be removed and disassembled to the shortblock and i paid the freight back to the sponsor. The sponsor only made me pay for half of the parts cost which came out to like $500 and he paid the freight back to me.
Old 05-02-2006 | 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was looking into a motor from Andy for my Z06, and I was PM'ed from a member from Z06Vette.com not to get one from him. There have been many other cases of his motors not lasting.
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not knocking A&A in anyway, but for those looking to build a motor I would definitely start looking local first!! Go the the track and talk to the guy’s who have good running cars, they’ll tell ya who to go with. I had my motor built by a small shop in San Marcos, TX, that I heard about from guys at the track. He was building motors for car’s running 7’s, so I figured if he can keep those motors together, my street car would be no problem. I supplied most of the big parts (pistons, rods, rings,HG, bolts) and he did all the machining and complete assembly (oil pan to Valve covers) for $915. He said if I ever had a problem bring it back. I ended up busting a valve spring and dropped a valve two weeks later (They were the old comp springs that broke all the time). He checked the motor over for free!!! Had I gotten my motor from anywhere else, it would cost me AT LEAST $400 just to ship it back and forth. 3 + years, multiple bad tunes and 4 turbo kits later, still running as strong as ever!!!.

I just think you are going to get quicker response from a small local guy and you’ll probably save a little money (of course I would never worry about a motor built by LME or W to W due to their exceptional reputation, but initially it would probably run a little more).

I know that really doesn’t help you Frost (I’m sure A&A will help you get it back on the road asap), just my opinion for the guy’s looking to build a motor later on down the road!
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:06 PM
Launching!

I know of a dozen from there that have gone bad.
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
You gotta pay to play
He did pay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he paid for a working motor and he paid for the working install of said motor. Therefore, unless Frost did something stupid and it's his fault, the problem will lie in the defect or reasonable/negligent error of either the builder, the installer, or both. An inspection will determine the party at fault of the two, and one SHOULD pay. Why should Frost have to pay for anything?

Shipping and labor to disassemble plus miscellaneous related costs now? Hmmm... Engine Seller/Installer... Sure, I understand... BUT if I was the Seller and found at fault, I'd reimburse Frost IMMEDIATELY upon this knowledge. If I was Installer, instead, and was found to be at fault, I'd remiburse Frost immediately upon this knowledge. Either way, IDEALLY, I feel Frost should be reimbursed for the costs ahead by SOMEBODY, unless Frost sabotaged his own motor because he enjoys orchestrating financial/legal ordeals during his leisure and spare time.

JMO of what I'd do as an installer or builder.

Yeah, you gotta pay to play, but not for mistakes.
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SUPER DAVES Z
Not knocking A&A in anyway, but for those looking to build a motor I would definitely start looking local first!! Go the the track and talk to the guy’s who have good running cars, they’ll tell ya who to go with. I had my motor built by a small shop in San Marcos, TX, that I heard about from guys at the track. He was building motors for car’s running 7’s, so I figured if he can keep those motors together, my street car would be no problem. I supplied most of the big parts (pistons, rods, rings,HG, bolts) and he did all the machining and complete assembly (oil pan to Valve covers) for $915. He said if I ever had a problem bring it back. I ended up busting a valve spring and dropped a valve two weeks later (They were the old comp springs that broke all the time). He checked the motor over for free!!! Had I gotten my motor from anywhere else, it would cost me AT LEAST $400 just to ship it back and forth. 3 + years, multiple bad tunes and 4 turbo kits later, still running as strong as ever!!!.

I just think you are going to get quicker response from a small local guy and you’ll probably save a little money (of course I would never worry about a motor built by LME or W to W due to their exceptional reputation, but initially it would probably run a little more).

I know that really doesn’t help you Frost (I’m sure A&A will help you get it back on the road asap), just my opinion for the guy’s looking to build a motor later on down the road!

Good advice right there and that's a damn good installer/builder.
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RW99
*snip*
If Andy is worried about mistakes made by whoever does the install, then it would be a good idea for him to set up a "preferred installer" arrangement with the shops utilizing the A&A motors... where he's confident that the install will be done correctly. Those are probably the shops that are selling product for him, anyway...

That is basically the case where I went (although they have no type of 'formal' arrangement that I know of)... Jeff C has pointed lots of his customers both vette and f-bod at A&A for forged short blocks and with good results.

I talked to Andy early yesterday, but he was very busy and didn't "stay in the conversation" if ya know what I mean, so I sent him a nice detailed email yesterday mid day. He has not replied as of yet.

Last edited by Frost; 05-02-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

that's a damn good installer/builder.
Thanks, I don't know about the installer (that was me and a couple of buddies) but yeah the builder is kickass!!!
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a warranty statement with your paperwork from A&A? You'd think this would have come up before.
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

He did pay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he paid for a working motor and he paid for the working install of said motor. Therefore, unless Frost did something stupid and it's his fault, the problem will lie in the defect or reasonable/negligent error of either the builder, the installer, or both. An inspection will determine the party at fault of the two, and one SHOULD pay. Why should Frost have to pay for anything?

Shipping and labor to disassemble plus miscellaneous related costs now? Hmmm... Engine Seller/Installer... Sure, I understand... BUT if I was the Seller and found at fault, I'd reimburse Frost IMMEDIATELY upon this knowledge. If I was Installer, instead, and was found to be at fault, I'd remiburse Frost immediately upon this knowledge. Either way, IDEALLY, I feel Frost should be reimbursed for the costs ahead by SOMEBODY, unless Frost sabotaged his own motor because he enjoys orchestrating financial/legal ordeals during his leisure and spare time.

JMO of what I'd do as an installer or builder.

Yeah, you gotta pay to play, but not for mistakes.

Agree 100%
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:46 PM
FormerVendor

I have good confidence in the shop that put together the long block and installed it. F-bods and vettes are their everyday everything. I talked to previous customers of theirs up front (not references given by them, but folks you run across on the net here and there), 1 of which had an A&A bottom end in his vette that CAM installed. Jeff sent me pics of basically every step of the long assembly. I'm not saying it's impossible that an accident happened on that side, but they are thorough.

Quick Reply: Problem, new A&A shortblock tearing up