LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Problem, new A&A shortblock tearing up

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kp
This isnt FI related and since A&A was a sponsor I'll put the thread here. As usual unless anyone has had direct dealings with A&A on this matter please dont take this off topic.
Feel free to use this in the future.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Well, that's good to hear from Andy.

My new A&A LS6 346 has some basic low rpm tuning time on the dyno and 100 miles of driving on it now... so far, so good.

Frost, I hope the guys at CAM step up to the plate for the rest of the labor charges if Andy says there's no evidence of a problem with the motor as supplied...

Rich
Old 05-03-2006, 12:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...just got off the phone with Jeff at CAM, (yep, it's 1am here) and I am sure that I am going to be well taken care of. Since last summer, before I even had any idea of what I wanted to do, Jeff has always made himself available. Every missed call or message gets returned, and every one of my million questions via email have been answered. I've had some snags on the way that have pushed time into the whole thing, but they happen. He assured me that regardless of what happens, they are gonna take care of me. This isn't some plug, he really is a great guy. Anyhow, I know I will sleep better tonight.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

Thats one thing about A&A Corvette. Andy stands behind his products, backs up his talk, and isnt afraid to fix his mistakes, hell even if it isnt his mistake he'll still help fix it. There was some talk from another member to me on the board, about how Andy doesnt really deal with the F-Body community, and I can completely understand it. There is a level of where vette owners are (Avg. Age 50) and a level of where F-Body owners are (Not sure the avg. age, but I would say around 24-26) The Vette owners have a car that costs 2-3X as much money, thus they have money to spend and not penny pinch so to speak. Keep in mind Andys shop is a "Corvette Shop" and not an "F-Body Shop". Yes they are still LS based engines, same concept etc, but the budget of an F-Body owner is FAR lower then the budget of a Vette Owner. I'm glad that Andy welcomes the F-Body community with open arms to his shop, rather then be one of those other guys who are "JUST TOO GOOD" to deal with us.

And as for a similar experience, I took my car to a "Budget Guy" and now my tranny is destroyed because he didnt put in any tranny fluid. Mistakes cost $$$, and I'm paying. The shop isnt even covering a DIME of my towing costs, my new T56 or any R&R. The shop is definately and probably will never be a sponsor here.

Many Praises to A&A Corvette...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have delt with andy many times, i was even dynoing the cars at his last dyno day at his shop, andy is a very stand up guy. the reason he only work on vettes is, he has enough business to only work on vettes, why should retool everything, and throw a wrench into thinks (he runs a very tight ship over there), to do work on a f-body that is harder to work on, he will gladly tune one, but he has the right to decline work on a f-body.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Andy@AandACorvette
I'm really not sure what drives him to do this. After our first run in and subsequent dealings with repairing the engine, I thought we were good. He was at my party last year and seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I'm at a loss as to why he's pissed at me.
Thats an olive branch, and a powerful statement.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:09 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Andy is top notch in my book. You won't find a better group of guys to deal with. Anyone who has dealt with A&A can probably attest to the fact that they are a top notch organization.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andy@AandACorvette
As for "TondSS" This kid calls and started trying to tell ME how to tune the car in speed density. He tried to get me to give him a big discount on the tune because other guys were "sponsoring" him. When I told him that we only work on Corvettes and that I wasn't interested in "sponsoring" him he started to try to work me on the price of the tune.
I have 21 Corvettes at the shop and at least a 2 month waiting list of Corvettes that are willing to wait to get the work done right.
I should let him come in and bully me around on prices? I don't think so.
We'll gladly tune F Bodies, but I won't have kids that think they know more than I do grind me on the prices and be rude to me on the phone. I have better things to do.
You tell me. Is this fair to all involved, or not?
Andy
first of all im not a kid! im 25 years old! 2nd i never told you how to do a speed density tune! I asked if you could work with me on $750 since i just got done putting another clutch and immediately you got offended and started to pop off about vette this vette that bla bla bla....and this is why i dont like working on f bodys there always trying to jew the price down!! WELL news flash buddy maybe we're not old and dumb and will spend 3 times the amount on getting work down since we apparently spent 3 times the amount on a vette!! $900 just to start off ....well anyway you have 200 vettes to work on right now i guess you really shouldnt have time to be on the computer anyway so get to work! then maybe youll have time for us "kids" who arent stupid! when im 50 maybe ill come to your shop and pay double hahahahahaahahahahahaha
Old 05-03-2006, 01:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,181 Likes on 765 Posts

Well if you ask for a discount and someone says no, there's your answer. No reason to fight about it later.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Andy, it is hardly accurate, but I do not wish to argue about it anymore either. I spoke to a machinist yesterday and he said there with many problems with A&A motors. In business, Andy is relying on other people.

My motor with less than 5k miles and seized with an .575/.578 cam, mild compression, no timing and rich AFR.
I do not even drive the car hard and never over 6,000 rpm's
The second A&A short block which I paid $1,600 R&R for, and delivered/picked up myself which was to include new rings, hone and resized rods. Take a look at your invoice. Afterword it was rebuilt, it had a few used rings, no hone, no resized rods, etc. and I have several witnesses to fact. I never filed a complaint with the BAR, Department of Consumer Affairs or even asked for my money back. I was really disappointed. I just wanted to enjoy my car.
I sure Andy wanted to kick his machinist in the tail.
I did not even use the second short block. They just scraped it.

I paid again for a complete rebuild. 6k+. I can send you the invoice and I can have half dozen dudes tell you the same.

There have been many others with failed A&A/MTI motors. One guy only had 1,600 miles on his 427. If Andy is conducting himself they way then great.
I think Andy switched machinists as Steve D. is currently rebuilding two A&A 427's at his shop now.

So Andy call me up sometime and lets finally bury the hatchet.

FYI, I only went with higher ratio rockers as an experiment on Synergy's 427, for three weeks, not yours.

I will repeat if, "If Andy is conducting himself they way then great," and I truly mean that. One the Ten Commandments is to forgive. Also, the Lord's prayer says, "forgive those that are indebted to you."

Last edited by BUYAMERICAN; 05-03-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Well if you ask for a discount and someone says no, there's your answer. No reason to fight about it later.
I see you point there. I could carless for A&A i will never recomend any buddy in my city to go there and im a reputable racer. i just dont think he should have popped off to me so rudly, not a great way to market your buissness . anyway rick is going to take care of me for sure the only reason why i had even called a&a was to see what there prices were and how much the tunes are because synergy almost wasnt going to be able to get in in time for a grudge match race on the 7th! none the less ring ring ..... rick was on the phone and saiid your in, and were rety for you! it was like gold to my ears!
however i have never seen one single bad comment on this board about synergy ever!!!! soo i have 100% faith in rick will make a beast out of my car!!
he is strait forward and only wants to help you out, also i saw so many turbo vettes there i almost **** my pance , sorry for the french~!
even the "dont quote me on this but im pretty sure" the first kennybell vette that was going to be in a mag shoot in GM hightech ..... i guess that explains enough.

have a good day bye!
Old 05-03-2006, 04:29 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TondSS
I see you point there. I could carless for A&A i will never recomend any buddy in my city to go there and im a reputable racer. i just dont think he should have popped off to me so rudly, not a great way to market your buissness . anyway rick is going to take care of me for sure the only reason why i had even called a&a was to see what there prices were and how much the tunes are because synergy almost wasnt going to be able to get in in time for a grudge match race on the 7th! none the less ring ring ..... rick was on the phone and saiid your in, and were rety for you! it was like gold to my ears!
however i have never seen one single bad comment on this board about synergy ever!!!! soo i have 100% faith in rick will make a beast out of my car!!
he is strait forward and only wants to help you out, also i saw so many turbo vettes there i almost **** my pance , sorry for the french~!
even the "dont quote me on this but im pretty sure" the first kennybell vette that was going to be in a mag shoot in GM hightech ..... i guess that explains enough.

have a good day bye!
Here is a novel thought. Check you spelling, punctuation, and capitalization. You post reads like it was written by an illiterate 3rd grader...

Lets see, you didn't like the fact that you could weasel a free tune out of Andy, so you show up here to bash. Mmmmm have a nice day, thanks for playing...

Next...
Old 05-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Im confused here.

1. Brent has a problem with the motor.

2. Andy redoes the motor.

3. Brent puts the motor on the dyno, Rick calls Andy to say the headers are glowing red.

4. The engine lets go.

5. Brent gets a new motor done at synergy.

6. The war spanning twenty forums commences.

Do I have it right?

When in all of this did Andy give you a block that you didnt use and just scrapped? Or are you referring to the one that let go on the dyno?

Oz

Edit: And not to get on your case at all, Brent, I have no sides to take here, but I dont understand the "I dont drive it hard and or take it over 6k rpms" part. You frequently mention road racing your car (in fact, theoretical road course compatibility was one of the selling points for the STS as far as you were concerned?).
Old 05-03-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

TondSS, so you get mad at a guy because he has work lined up and doesn't have time for your car when he has months worth of people that have been waiting?
Furthermore, calling a shop to whom you have had no prior dealings with and asking for discounts for "sponsorship" (who "sponsors" your car by the way, I'm very curious to know who "sponsors" you, and why if you dont mind me asking) is completely rediculous. What does A&A owe you or need to give you a discount for?
Old 05-03-2006, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Here is a novel thought. Check you spelling, punctuation, and capitalization. You post reads like it was written by an illiterate 3rd grader...

Lets see, you didn't like the fact that you could weasel a free tune out of Andy, so you show up here to bash. Mmmmm have a nice day, thanks for playing...

Next...

Well thanks for the comment teacher! I didn’t know I was getting graded on this. I could really careless what you say unless you plan to pay me to write an essay! And NO I wasn’t wanting a free tune. Are you stupid?? were did you get free tune from, your ***?? go read some more dumb *** i said to him i had 750 if that is free ill give you my address and you can send me the money? I think your confused, did you fall on your self?
It was the fact that he started to act like an a## when I said is there anyway you could start the tune at 750 from there it was a different story.

i hope the spelling makes your day better

Originally Posted by Brandon Boomhauer
TondSS, so you get mad at a guy because he has work lined up and doesn't have time for your car when he has months worth of people that have been waiting?
Furthermore, calling a shop to whom you have had no prior dealings with and asking for discounts for "sponsorship" (who "sponsors" your car by the way, I'm very curious to know who "sponsors" you, and why if you dont mind me asking) is completely rediculous. What does A&A owe you or need to give you a discount for?
not only my car but "F-Body" guys.....he said you F-body guys always do this"
I wasn’t asking for a discount ether I was seeing what I was working with on how much the tune would cost! Why cant you ask the simple question is there anyway we could start at 750 i didnt know that was a big deal! also as far as I am concerned it doesn’t matter who sponsored by…..and I wasn’t asking for anyone’s opinion I was giving one so thanks bye!

Last edited by TondSS; 05-03-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am very impressed with A/A responce and if I ever own a corvette, I know where I'm going
Old 05-03-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see how A&A has done any wrong here, Andy seems to really stand behind his work
Old 05-03-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

yes he does he didnt go wrong he's doing a good job by helping this guy out!!
what happend was,I thought i'd ask if there was anyway we could work something out for 750 and he got offended and started to pop off.
I see both sides of the story,his and mine i see were we both are wrong. its already squashed in my book, we go our seperate ways, i just that it was a little unprofessional thats all, a quick sorry from both parties would be best.
maybe i shouldnt have said anything and maybe he should have said no thanks i really have to go that would have been that!

damn it nintress some times we dont agree about things but i guess that is what friends do most of it was good untill i got brought up
Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Launching!

OZ two A&A short blocks.
Paid for it. One with 5,000 street miles. siezed Burned oil from day one.
Fails right on the dyno. mild compression, rich AFR, 16-18 degrees timing if I remember right.

Paid for it. The other A&A short block was bad and not even installed.
The short block was completely hit with a micrometer. bad.

Paid for it. New build at Synergy. This is the one in car now. Has not burned one drop of oil.

Unfortunately, due to this and huge down time, I have not been on the track with this car since long before this series of events. No, I do not take the car over 6,000 just like the C6R guys(rev limit at 6,200). Even to 6,000 is rare. You do not need it on the street with a stroker.

Like I said there are many others. If Andy is fixing others now, I have to give him credit for that. I do think he got FOBARed by a machinist or someone else, but I did not contract with those people.

Their are many, many other items that go way deeper.
I have big a Corvette voting meeting I have to attend to right now.
I just wanted to get what I paid for, enjoy the car, that's it.
I think having the expectation that it would go 24,000-30,000 miles is not asking a whole lot.

I want to put this finally to rest as much as he does.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,181 Likes on 765 Posts

BuyAmerican, I hope you and A&A recconect.

Quick Reply: Problem, new A&A shortblock tearing up