LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting

Just got my MCSS and love it. However, I noticed that it won't downshift to first until you get under 35 mph. Can this be tuned out to where if you're doing a higher speed it'll still downshift? In my Colorado, you could be doing a speed right up to redline in a lower gear and it would still downshift and run what little was left.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, you can change the shift tables to increase the downshift speed

Old 07-12-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
Yes, you can change the shift tables to increase the downshift speed

Good stuff. Now, on a MAF engine, does it matter much if you do Bolt-ons after the tune or before? Seems like you're just changing A/F rations withthe tune and the engine is making those happen no matter the conditions. Am I thinking correctly here?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No.

The MAF curve is set to define X amount of airflow per Y Hz of signal. While GM does a substantial amount of research into setting their MAF curve, there is variability in production. Up to a point, the fuel trims can compensate for the MAF being off, but STFT's disable when you go into open loop, and the LTFT's lock into their last value--who knows what AFR you actually get at WOT in this situation.

You really need a wideband and to tune your MAF and VE whenever you make mods that can affect airflow.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
No.

The MAF curve is set to define X amount of airflow per Y Hz of signal. While GM does a substantial amount of research into setting their MAF curve, there is variability in production. Up to a point, the fuel trims can compensate for the MAF being off, but STFT's disable when you go into open loop, and the LTFT's lock into their last value--who knows what AFR you actually get at WOT in this situation.

You really need a wideband and to tune your MAF and VE whenever you make mods that can affect airflow.

So waiting until after intake/exhaust would be more beneficial?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep 1111111111