LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Well, my trannie died (blah blah blah) 87k

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, my trannie died (blah blah blah) 87k

2005 GXP. I have owned since new.
transmission fluid changed every 25k with filter.
The car has had 5 passes down the track. I dont beat on this car every day but geez what a weak transmission. No changes at all. Bone stock. I have the gto that I absolutely hammer on a daily basis with over 80 passes down the track with zero torque management at all.

I've been limping this transmission along for 15-20k. When cold, and put into drive the trannie would slip. Not much in the beginning. Recently it has started to shutter when it should have changed to a lower gear going up hills. I started to dump some
trannie fix all in it and I thought I would just get it fixed. Estimated bill to
re-build is 14-1800 w 12 month warranty.

My recommendation is that if your transmission barely starts slipping dump the car. I waited too long. I love the gxp but the trannie is very weak and its an expensive car to own. So far....water pump failure at 48k, I'm on my 3rd set of tires at $800 a set. Rebuild trannie at 87k. Steering component replaced under warranty at 31k(sounded like sandpaper when turning the steerring wheel). Sun roof leak at 55k. Serpentine failure at 63k. I'm forgetting something but you get the idea.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your tranny man. Lately Ive been seeing a lot of threads of tranny faliures makes me want to sell my car especially since I have no warranty I wouldnt be able to afford a repair on it. I got 70k on mine and shifting pretty good (knock on wood)
Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Mine just went, got it replaced $0, thank god for warranties. Sorry to hear, hopefully you have the 5yr 100K Powertrain Warranty.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no powertrain warrenty in 2005
Old 08-27-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude i feel your pain i do, and i dont blame you at all, it`s a great "looking" car but the list of problems, makes me hate the car here is my list of problems
right rear wheel bearing replaced the first week of having the car
then a wiring issues in the dic panle
steering shaft lubricated
monsson amp replaced
new brakes all the way around
water leak from onstar antenna, and sunroof,
interior noise is driving baby jesus to cry
i need new tires but the goodyear f1 tires suck my fat hairy *****
4 wheel alignments
wheels rebalanced twice
serpentine belt and tensoiner snapped off
heater core, and then interior panles replaced and rear bumper repaired due to the dealership fucked up my car
and now im on my 2nd trans

i can`t wait to dump the car, and move on to something else
Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel you man. I have a love-hate thing going on with my GXP too. I have had a ton of quality issues with my interior and sunroof specifically. I also had a leaking battery, and door trim falling of the the car. I think the dealership had my car more than me the first 4 months I owned it. Peeling leather seats? Come on!

I am honestly worried about when my warranty goes out. My transmission already misses some of the 1-2 shifts in D at WOT.

I have 21k on it now and money is the only thing keeping me in the car. If I had more, and could take the hit, I would trade it.

It's only saving grace is that it drives great and is quick enough to make people look at it twice.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 AM
Launching!

The more cars i drive the more i want to stay in my 07 GXP. If my tranny goes id bite bullet and get the built tranny for 2 grand.

All i can do is pray to the tranny gods and hope the Tranny cooler/frilled tranny pan keeps this one alive.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

I'm in the same boat, I like the car but if my tranny dies I'll have to bite the bullet and put in a BUILT replacement. I have too much invested to back out now between the stb's, tranny cooler, ceramic brake pads, replacement rims, new all season tires, and a set of federal ss595 tires for autox and summer use. I'm at 70k and am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well hopefully this project will be done in time:

http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/098254-2.html#p71 (check the end of his post)

I've been waiting for someone to look into this for quite some time now; ever since the 6T7x was announced.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

There is light at the end of the tunnel!!!! I really hope someone pulls this off.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you couldn't bore out the cylinders in an LS4 block...wouldn't it need to be re-sleaved???

Either way the 6 speed would be awesome, auto and Manual...I hope someone figures out how all that will go together...
Old 08-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot how the tensioner broke the same time the belt got shredded. Also didnt mention the HUD display that went out 2 weeks ago. Its a love hate deal all right. I'm not feeling the love at all. I'm going to have the guy put a big *** trannie cooler on it.
I drove the car to Pheonix a year ago and there are some very long grades up mtn passes. Trannie temp went to 245F! Out of fear i had the dealership changed the fluid/filter in Alberquerque NM. It has never been the same since.

My lesson learned: I will always run a trannie cooler on my cars that tour across country.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

245? I've done that on more than a few occasions. 27k and no tranny problems yet, but have warranty til 100k so think I'm covered.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All these "dead tranny" threads scared me into getting a cooler installed today. Got the Long Tru-Cool 28,000 GVWR cooler. It's freaking huge (11 x 11) but self regulates when the fluid is cold so it doesn't over-cool.

Here's what it looks like:

Got it installed (P&L) at my buddy's shop for $150. I think this will save my *** going up the the SoCal Grapevine everyday, as well as this weekend's trip to Phoenix!