LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

New Owner, Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Owner, Couple Questions

Yeah Yeah new guy with questions. Been on the forum since '05 but with a LS1 WS6. Going to college so I picked up an Impala SS.

How bad would the ORIGINAL paper air filter and ORIGINAL spark plugs be hurting performance? I am so lazy to change them and if it's worth the swap before spring I will do it.

Also, anyone ever race an 08 R32? Kid around me has one and my WS6 woulda stomped it but I was kind of assuming the SS would walk him too.

Ummm.. Other than that I looked everything else up before I bought the car so I am good.

I love my Impala.

Oh its the sweet blue color too. Fully optioned (or do they all have everything?).
Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

I'm running on stockers making plenty of power. I don't want to touch the plugs lol

I sold my big block camaro and got this coming to college. I'm sad about it. haha
Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

idk bout the plugs but the air intake does make a noticeble diffrence. and well i raced an R32 dont know the year though but they do keep up although i did get him.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles are on the car, if it has more then say 75k miles I would change the plugs "factory says 100 but mine never lasted that long in any car", and pull the filter out, if it looks nasty, replace it, they cost what? 10 bucks?? Mine when I bought the z28, looked as though somone dumped a coke on it.....it was replaced as soon as we got it back home...
Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Well the car has 98k miles on it. Got it for under 10k. Any of the common problems were already fixed, rebuilt and beefed up tranny, etc.

To the guy who sold the big block, these cars must be perfect for the college kid who doesnt want a ***** slow car after his fast one.

So yeah, the original 98k air filter and plugs. LOL

Anyone else with experience with an R32? The newest looking body style. Just curious!

Thanks! Dan
Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

BTW, I am probably just gonna do a K&N drop in and gapless plugs. Unless there are known issues with either on these cars.

I feel like a nOOb.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hurley_21_07
Well the car has 98k miles on it. Got it for under 10k. Any of the common problems were already fixed, rebuilt and beefed up tranny, etc.

To the guy who sold the big block, these cars must be perfect for the college kid who doesnt want a ***** slow car after his fast one.

So yeah, the original 98k air filter and plugs. LOL

Anyone else with experience with an R32? The newest looking body style. Just curious!

Thanks! Dan
R32? You shouldn't have much trouble.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

K&N is overpriced and you wont see many gains. I personally have never used a gapless plug, but you are definitely due for your tune up. Plugs/wires/air filter, fluid flush on tranny, rear end if it were my car and I had the money, a suspension upgrade...
Old 11-09-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hurley_21_07

Thanks! Dan
Perfect for college, as i am in college and it works perfect for me!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Launching!

nice! cmon down to NAIOA.COM you may find threads for some of your questions..

idk why some folks dont get any gains with the k&n

i was cheap and replaced the stock airbox with a spectre cone from autozone, wasnt much gains at all, eating up hot *** air... then i started gettin more money and said **** it ima get the k&n and i did, differences? hell yea.. when i turned corners and stepped on it after, the wheels would spin a bit longer then usual, and i remember going around 40 smashing the gas the car would do nothing, with the k&n it pulls now..
i have an 06 impala ss with 47k(as of right now) and i do reccomend the k&n, overpriced yes, but well worth it imo since there isnt much variety for the ls4..

what i recommend for performance gains is the strut tower brace(about $180 from don rome and flip), k&n(got mine for $233 shipped at dotcomparts.com ), and poly motor mounts(i suggest the 3800performance.com ones theyr about 40 buks each idk bout shipping..)
Old 11-09-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by baalic
K&N is overpriced and you wont see many gains. I personally have never used a gapless plug, but you are definitely due for your tune up. Plugs/wires/air filter, fluid flush on tranny, rear end if it were my car and I had the money, a suspension upgrade...
I didn't know LS4 cars had any fluid in the rear end.

Also, K&N has proven gains. Don't listen to the random people on the internet who think a piece of PVC and a cheap filter will do the same thing.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I didn't know LS4 cars had any fluid in the rear end.

Also, K&N has proven gains. Don't listen to the random people on the internet who think a piece of PVC and a cheap filter will do the same thing.

I was saying in general for a car the things I would do at that many miles after acquiring it..

And it has been prove time and time again that the K&N filter alone nets no serious gains, I think you MIGHT see 1rwhp at most if you put a K&N in to replace a brand new oem filter...of course over a used busted *** dirty filter, you will see bigger gains, and that is how K&N gets their results....... Now if you go with the entire K&N cai, you MIGHT actually see a gain. Also I know that the oil from the K&N messes up the MAF on LS1 cars, I don't see why it would be different with an LS4......

Don't believe me on this...surf this forum some more, people have tested the K&N filters time and time again .........

Stop being ignorant and believing everything you hear on tv or on the internet. Even K&N themselves only claim a few hp on JUST their filter alone but thats over an old dirty filter...so ANY new filter would probably have netted the same results.....

So do some homework before you post with ignorance.....

Last edited by baalic; 11-09-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSGoat
nice! cmon down to NAIOA.COM you may find threads for some of your questions..

idk why some folks dont get any gains with the k&n

i was cheap and replaced the stock airbox with a spectre cone from autozone, wasnt much gains at all, eating up hot *** air... then i started gettin more money and said **** it ima get the k&n and i did, differences? hell yea.. when i turned corners and stepped on it after, the wheels would spin a bit longer then usual, and i remember going around 40 smashing the gas the car would do nothing, with the k&n it pulls now..
i have an 06 impala ss with 47k(as of right now) and i do reccomend the k&n, overpriced yes, but well worth it imo since there isnt much variety for the ls4..

what i recommend for performance gains is the strut tower brace(about $180 from don rome and flip), k&n(got mine for $233 shipped at dotcomparts.com ), and poly motor mounts(i suggest the 3800performance.com ones theyr about 40 buks each idk bout shipping..)

decent advice on the suspention upgrades but come on.. your car was a dog then you put an K&N and now it pulls????? You would NOT notice a gain with sotp with just an air filter....at that rate most of us would probably just take our air filters out...... by the way, that has been tested too to find no serious gains over no air filter/vs k&n/vs oem paper.....
Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the spark plugs wont make much difference unless they have a good amount of miles on them. If you do a cold air intake, you will see quite a difference.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

id like to see these tests. gotta link.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what tests?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

I was saying in general for a car the things I would do at that many miles after acquiring it..

And it has been prove time and time again that the K&N filter alone nets no serious gains, I think you MIGHT see 1rwhp at most if you put a K&N in to replace a brand new oem filter...of course over a used busted *** dirty filter, you will see bigger gains, and that is how K&N gets their results....... Now if you go with the entire K&N cai, you MIGHT actually see a gain. Also I know that the oil from the K&N messes up the MAF on LS1 cars, I don't see why it would be different with an LS4......

Don't believe me on this...surf this forum some more, people have tested the K&N filters time and time again .........

Stop being ignorant and believing everything you hear on tv or on the internet. Even K&N themselves only claim a few hp on JUST their filter alone but thats over an old dirty filter...so ANY new filter would probably have netted the same results.....

So do some homework before you post with ignorance.....
Before you call me ignorant, note that I was referring to an entire intake.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Before you call me ignorant, note that I was referring to an entire intake.
The entire CAI?? so you netted 9rwhp?? Im still not seeing a seat of the pants difference in 9 rwhp..... I think its all in peoples minds.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...yesterday.html

notice another person that's not me says the EXACT THING....

and this is the thread that I rememberd..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ake-guess.html

So ya, as we are now... lets get back on topic...

plug and wire change will help as oem recomendations are only for 100k anyways and the more you hot rod your cars the faster its going to burn out the plugs...... wires may still be good but if you got the extra cash might as well do those too..it never hurts....
Old 11-09-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The entire CAI?? so you netted 9rwhp?? Im still not seeing a seat of the pants difference in 9 rwhp..... I think its all in peoples minds

So you're calling people ignorant, yet you refer to fluid in the rear end of an 06 Impala, also 9rwhp on a FWD MCSS.

I did feel a difference with the K&N Intake, nothing dramatic, but it was obvious the pull was stronger.

To the OP, a new body style R32 lined up against me at the track a few days ago, it was over for him by the time he took off I treed him so hard. He ran a high 14 IIRC.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
So you're calling people ignorant, yet you refer to fluid in the rear end of an 06 Impala, also 9rwhp on a FWD MCSS.

I did feel a difference with the K&N Intake, nothing dramatic, but it was obvious the pull was stronger.

To the OP, a new body style R32 lined up against me at the track a few days ago, it was over for him by the time he took off I treed him so hard. He ran a high 14 IIRC.
Note I never said I saw any difference, nor that I even own an aftermarket intake for this car. Some people are just special.