LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Thorley Header Project Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use band clamps and a pipe expander if you don't want to weld it. Anyways it looks better than I thought it was going to. I'm tempted to go catless!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuickRacer

Let's get this straight: your GXP is not a race car: it's cam is small, DOD is intrusive, etc....basically, we have a jewel of a motor being held hostage in a WrongWD chassis. Have you looked at our cam specs and the lift numbers? Likely not. Also, the tune was not changed "before" or "after" header install, plus I had taken timing out of the vehicle (I think it's at 26, if memory serves), as mentioned in my previous post.
don't forget that sorry excuse for an intake holding back gains.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

I imagine this is going to make the exhaust sound real good! ****** awesome, good job getting this going guys. 30tq under the curve is awesome since you spend most of the time in the lower RPM's anyways (around traffic, etc). I'm sure with the tune tweaked, a good CAI, and a slightly bigger cam we'll easily see upwards of 300whp. Stainless steel is a good sign, that's what I was waiting to hear. I think I really may just have to order a set when price is finalized.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

The numbers are what I expected. Like Buickracer said, he messed with the tune, which could affect the baseline/after numbers. These numbers are also going thru a stock catalytic converter and a:

If you were to ditch the stock cat with a high flow cat or straight pipe, I'd bet you would see at least another 5 hp. You also forget that the top end is probably capped by the intake and the stock rockers/springs. Throw a set of HS rockers with patriot springs, and a LS6/LS2/edelbrock intake on it and then you will really wake that thing up!

Sittingmongoose,

I'm sure if you didn't want to weld, you could send the y-pipe to Hogan Performance and they would weld up a high flow pipe for you for a very reasonable price.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

wait a minute......the gxp's have a U-bend as well? OMG
Old 12-03-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

They do, but I posted a pic of the v6 u bend cuz thats all i could find. The v8 u bend is still there, just not as kinked looking.

All you guys talking about warranty really wont have a problem if you go to a cool dealer. They wont void your warranty, they will just void certain parts of it that are affected. For instance if you come in for a p0420 code and need your converter replaced, they would tell you to pound sand. However, the headers wouldn't stop them from warrantying a hub&bearing, or a gas cap.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, you would think they would have learned something since 97' haha. These cars are choked worse than I thought.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work guys very impressive im on the fence about this one though i mean for that price you can easily have a hundred shot of nitrous
Old 12-03-2009, 04:35 AM
TECH Resident

also you could make the part easy to bolt in and out just go to the local parts store and find some of those two bolt flanges like on the cat/downpipe to the rest of our exhaust location you can weld those anywhere
Old 12-03-2009, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been sitting this one out until some results were available. Thanks to WilliamGT for setting this up and BuickRacer for donating his car for the test mule!

BuickRacer: Does your vehicle still have the stock exhaust system in place?

From the pics that were posted, it looks like these are "shorty" headers, which is pretty much what you'd expect givern the space constraints, I wouldn't expect the gains that a set of LT or Tri-Y headers would provide (you can't tune shortys like the other designs), especially if still dumping into the stock 2.25" exhaust system.

I like the way that Thorley redid the merge collector for the crossover pipe - much better than that abomination of a rear manifold that GM used. I expect this probably accounts for much of the gain at the higher RPM's. What concerns me a bit is that I don't see a flex connector in the downpipe anymore, I'd be worried about cracking things. I suppose this is something you need to include in the installation.

Not sure I understand the comments about DOD being intrusive. DOD isn't active during WOT operation, so it wouldn't have a direct effect on the dyno. Are you just referring to the low lift/low overlap aspects of the stock cam?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

BuickRacer's car has the stock DP, magnaflow cat-back without resonator and K&N intake.
I do see a flex pipe behind the crossover pipe, ummm maybe I'll turn off my dod once its installed.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your not isterested in cutting your stock downpipe. Have a flange welded on and straight pipe the remaining section and flange it at the catback, for a true bolt in application. Do this only for offroad application, lol.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

sorry i am just frustrated. i am very glad you did this just wanted to see like 30whp lol. I will prolly get them. I am having issues right now with my stage 2 intake so i am just really pissed.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

sexy......very sexy, damn my woman and having to move to MD!!!! lol mmmmm
Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming the o2 sensor wire is long enough to make it. Correct?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
I just realized this part of your post. Why so defensive? Not everyone is going to be a believer. I thought that there would be higher gains also. Are you planning on puttin her on the dyno after you get tuned for 'post' headers?
My defensiveness stems from what I perceived to be the “Well, if we can’t have it cheap and fast and get instant gratification from it, bad mouth it” tone of the post to which I was replying (and for which he has apologized, no problemo.) Also, I have been juggling my schedule to compensate for the lack of my business vehicle; it’s been over three weeks now and I am approaching a very busy time of the year with the upcoming January 1 quarter date.

I knew going in that we’d probably get 15 or so whP, but I was really impressed with the added TQ, as I am used to high torque motors. I am hopeful I’ll be able to use Thorley’s facility to fine tune things, otherwise I’ll have to use the long stretches of road in the industrial parks in my area where I’ve run the Buicks…on a Sunday…REALLY early…

Tired GXP: yes, I was referring to the small cam and valve overlap; “intrusive” was an inaccurate term to use but I was typing too fast.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedshifter
The numbers are what I expected. Like Buickracer said, he messed with the tune, which could affect the baseline/after numbers. These numbers are also going thru a stock catalytic converter and a:

If you were to ditch the stock cat with a high flow cat or straight pipe, I'd bet you would see at least another 5 hp. You also forget that the top end is probably capped by the intake and the stock rockers/springs. Throw a set of HS rockers with patriot springs, and a LS6/LS2/edelbrock intake on it and then you will really wake that thing up!

Sittingmongoose,

I'm sure if you didn't want to weld, you could send the y-pipe to Hogan Performance and they would weld up a high flow pipe for you for a very reasonable price.
i have heard the GXP does from some and doesnt from others....i tried looking for it but couldnt find it....where is the u-bend at?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where the rear o2 screws in. It's not in the hogan, just the stock pipe.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

The gains are descent, maybe after the holidays I'll look into get some of these too. IF they continue to make them.

Headers+cam+intake+tune+100wet shot=400hp!!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
The gains are descent, maybe after the holidays I'll look into get some of these too. IF they continue to make them.

Headers+cam+intake+tune+100wet shot=400hp!!
i hopin to find out an answer to that too.

Quick Reply: Thorley Header Project Update