LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Project: GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07MCSS
Sounds good Rossko. I am still working on my front mount. I bought my turbo from Rob at Modular Turbo. He is very helpful and he always returns my calls. I got my gauges installed a few weeks ago and I installed the racetronix hotwire kit. It was pretty simple. Which pump did you go with though? Was it GSS340M with PIK-003? It seems like MAF tuning is giving you troubles. Why not go with speed density? I am going that route with mine and plug iat into the charge pipe.
I forget which pump exactly....got it from my local sponsor shop out here in Indy....it was a GSS340 something....i just asked for a univ. walbro 255lph....lol...and my tuner and i are considering speed density right now if this next attempt doesnt work out.....hes a maf guy and would rather tune off the maf just due to the fact that it allows the car to run as close to OE specks for trims etc....but we will see....

Glad to here the Racetronix kit is good to go!!

and hey, the uh, white is killing us man...LOL..gotta drag the mouse over you text to see it...change it up if you can...if not...to his, his own LOL...good luck on the build for you!! you doing a Cartuning kit with that turbo, custom, or what?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

I'm going the custom route. I have a MPT70 with flanges and oil lines, meth kit and intercooler and piping. I still need wastegate,bov, map sensor, 60 lb/hr injectors, fuel pump and a few other parts. I am looking for a rear manifold replacement. The f body has one that may work for me.
Originally Posted by Rossko85
I forget which pump exactly....got it from my local sponsor shop out here in Indy....it was a GSS340 something....i just asked for a univ. walbro 255lph....lol...and my tuner and i are considering speed density right now if this next attempt doesnt work out.....hes a maf guy and would rather tune off the maf just due to the fact that it allows the car to run as close to OE specks for trims etc....but we will see....
Originally Posted by Rossko85

Glad to here the Racetronix kit is good to go!!

and hey, the uh, white is killing us man...LOL..gotta drag the mouse over you text to see it...change it up if you can...if not...to his, his own LOL...good luck on the build for you!! you doing a Cartuning kit with that turbo, custom, or what?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

GOOD OL MASTER POWER 70!! Works well with this car man!!! I did some talks with Kevin over at Cartuning before we started to do this and he said he would of liked to go with a T70 for his kits...
Old 05-16-2010, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

so got the old mushroom filter off...that thing was a swamp dog!! replaced with stack and larger filter and changed maf to new LS2 to take out any variables....and whala! shes boosting again just fine...it was all the rain...lol even with the dry sock!! but now just waiting on my tuner to get some free time to crank a lil more out of her....spray a shot of 25-50 shot of N2O to top it off and to get the file from my tranny builder to go in this street/strip tranny!! next up...getting control arms...and I already got 2 Enkei NTOm+3's 18x9.5's and the Nitto NTO5R's on order (285/40R18's) should fill the ww up pretty good!! not alot of turning LOL..

got my spacers out back to put on to keep her planted and not squating on me...hopefully i couldnt believe when i was told that there is a 3-4 week back order on those nittos!!

catch can is getting made up and lil odds and ends....going to save the pushrods and springs for when I get the heads done in fall and hoping to get the motor out to Baker Engineering in MI to get a lil forge action going with a lil turbo cam maybe too...specked for a RM system...:-) Thanks go Mark for the heads up....those guys are great!

got the heat sheild on the gas tank and my back bumper as the exhaust was starting to take my rear bumper hostage and try to destroy it!! LOL...

got the racetronix rewire kit on

as well as tapping my charge pipe to refrence my other port on the Synapse BOV...was getting some compressor surge when I would let out quick even as a auto...so this allows constant and consistent psi activation all the time no matter what boost level hits it....helps big time...i just blow it right off now once that throttle plate slaps shut...

Last edited by Rossko85; 05-16-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Thats some good news Ross. I can't wait tell you Spray that beast!!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

ahhh.... 285's?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
ahhh.... 285's?
yes sir! not recommended for street as probably not going to let a sharp turn take place without rubbing LOL...its a close one from the 275 which is max for full driving capability in form of turning radius...the 285/40R18 is .51" wider and diameter is .48" larger....it equals out to be about 9.99mm larger eachway to break it down even further...so 275-285...the issue comes in not with the back side wall to strut but, when you cust the wheel all the way left or right, right when pumps starts to resist...the outer diameter will probably barely rub the inner fender well...if you look closest to the fire wall at the feet....youll see inside there a little tab thats hard that covers the remaining opening from the wheel well wale whatever how you spell it LOL..to the chasis....the remainder should be fine...so im investigating this right now...ill let you guys know!! LOL
Old 06-13-2010, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Default ZZP control arms on GXP!! first time ever!! LOL...

seems like a lot of 1st times float around on this car LMAO...

anyways...got the ZZP moly control arms on!! had to replace half shafts after the install cause i beat up my boots pretty good and they were leaking everywhere LOL...but that install...NOT FUN!!!!! control arms wherent bad...just got to groppel with the ball joint...hammer on the tab!! works well!!

but newayz...as far as handling goes....really bites well in turns with the poly mounts...sticks it well...as far as making slow wide turns...dont expect the wheel to come back to you as easy as it did and slide through your hands...it steers like a race car LOL...you gotta kind of ask for it back to get her back straight...not bad..but just a lil....

really helps on tq steer!!! she doesnt want to buckle to the left or right anymore!!

and you will need a complete alignment!! if not...your gonna put your wheel straight and take off into on coming traffic for sure!! LOL so you will prob drive with a gimp for a few miles until you hit your local shop LOL

There are grease points on the new ball joints...grease them until full and bubble up...

note: as ZZP says...remove the ball joints with the bolt option they have and flil them so that the 98-03 model sway bar tabs are on the bottom or pointed toward the ground!!! if not....your sway bar link joint on the strut tower sway bar stabalizer will PRESS TOGETHER!!! they will make their own house on top of that tab trust me!! LOL...so i just remedied by cutting wheel on the back tabs...be careful of brake lines...but cut off straight across and file down with same wheel and paint and clear...i didnt like the big bulky tab idea anyways hanging under the car...NO THEY ARE CUSTOM LMAO!!

got my cable mod done too!!! bouncey bouncey on the way home LOL...def not for the street!! had to make sure they wouldnt snap on me LOL
Attached Thumbnails Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-014.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-016.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-012.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Default Got my catch can idea brought to life!!

here is my catch can design...should have it all wrapped up with ss line and anod. fittings etc by tomarrow once i get my check valve i had to order yesterday from Grainger...
Attached Thumbnails Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-catchcan.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for keep us updated, i'm still following this build very close.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StealthV8
thanks for keep us updated, i'm still following this build very close.
I appreciate it! Ill keep all of you in the loop for sure....im next step is to spray it!!! gonna do the mystery shot tomarrow!!! MAYBE!!

Heres my catch can installed!! still waiting on a few fittings to clean up the top of the intake so i will have all SS line...but the catch can and the chk valve and drain are all set!!
Attached Thumbnails Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-catchcaninstall1.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-catchcaninstall2.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-catchcan3.jpg  
Old 06-16-2010, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Looking good bro. By the time you are done with this car, it's going to be in Jay Leno's garage!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you run the lines on the catch can? Are you coming off of both of the valve covers? Hard to tell in the pic.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

how is the catch can mounted? is it just the hoses holding it in place?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

catch can is on both VC ports yes Mark....

and I had the can designed long for its mounting position and so the hoses where measured just right and in the right places for it to be suspended....contact is made at the bottom of the can on some OE loom to assist though....it gives it a really clean and neat look....almost like it just floats LOL...its tight though!!

and Jay would like it i bet LOL

Last edited by Rossko85; 06-20-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Default Final install pics and more detail of fittings and placement

Here ya go guys...little more detail and the final mounting and all the fittings all cleaned up and in place from the wonderful mind of me! LMAO

this is the front valve cover port...

This is the layout and design of the vacuum system and intake refrence to incorperate the BOV and the catch can and intake source...check valve is in line to avoid positive psi into the catch can that would turn into a boost leak out the catch can... i incorperated another custom check valve in the catch can to only allow the crank case psi to escape under boost...it has a 1psi cracking pressure...

this is a photo of the rear vc port connected to the catch can....i cant use the filler neck as some do, due to the oil return line for the rear mounted oil pump...so this had to be the next best thing lol it works well so far!! especially since my oil pan gasket keeps the pos. psi in the motor LOL...

this is just another pic of it all together up top...next stop is fuel rails and injector spacers to make em work...working with FAST right now...

Last edited by Rossko85; 06-20-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Everything you've done looks really clean! I have to ask though, do you drive this beast to and from work, or is it just your toy? Also, now that you are dialed in better, how responsive is the throttle? I've been wondering how much of a delay all of that tube introduces, if anything at all.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nmp0098
Everything you've done looks really clean! I have to ask though, do you drive this beast to and from work, or is it just your toy? Also, now that you are dialed in better, how responsive is the throttle? I've been wondering how much of a delay all of that tube introduces, if anything at all.
It currently just turned 69k and is running strong and is my DD all day everyday...everywhere I have to go...she goes!! just got back from a trip to Lingenfelter Engineering in Decatur, IN...all 4 hours round trip...i drove her to Ft. Wayne for tranny, been to West Lafayette, IN for my tuner...and in the early days i was hitting up in the Kokomo area...just actually got back from a big club event in Kokomo which is about 1 hour and 45 north of me...and my round trip to work is atleast 40 miles...LOL...any upgrades, tuning or fixing is done upon me arriving in it!! its a street car for sure!!

Rain or shine...hints why all the problems with water in the intake if you read my thread LOL...everything is covered in here! LOL....

as far as the throttle delay incorperated with the turbo charge pipe; otherwise refered to as "turbo lag", its not bad at all...there are tricks of the rear mount trade I had to learn and watch carefully...and of course we designed it to not only be street/strip...but to be efficient as possible due to this "streetable" need due to it being my DD LOL...I have some pics im putting up to show you guys my car in a lot at work chilling with water droplets on it from a passing T-storm LOL...

Posting up some new pics....youll see why i took a little trip to Lingenfelter Engineering on a whim this last Friday....LOL and some other suprises I was happy with!!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Ok guys....got some new stuff and some updates and some pics to show you to prove this is a DD like i was asked and told you in the response up top earlier....

First off...Told you I took a little trip to Lingenfelter Eng. in Decatur, IN on this past friday...for those of you that arent familiar...enjoy..take a look...

http://www.lingenfelter.com/about

for those who know...uh..yeah..def got a private tour and the staff was great!! but i have some of those pics to included as this is a part of my girls build and in her story now for places shes seen getting built up....but, had to go for a reason obviously...LOL...got some shots of what I got and its install...and then some old parts with a new face!!

Ill have the slicks in this week hopefully and mounted up...got the suspension mod done for the back...supposed to be getting with tuner friday for a tune on the 35 shot of N2O to keep it conservative....awaiting the jets to come in hopefully with the tires....gotta get the final tranny file loaded in....then set up my systems and tweak the tune a little more for the track...and off I go to the first event for my girl! Project: GXP-TN2O will be staging hopefully at the IndyHP Shootout on July 3, 2010 in the "appealed by me" FWD Sport Class

Ill make sure I get plenty of video....i hope LOL..we will see..got a pretty good group of guys in my GP club that are going...the time you see me claim is from last year...did the N2O only on 100shot 12.9 @ 109.9MPH....hoping for better this year!!! of course everyone is invited to this!!

http://www.indystreetcarshootout.com/

and consider this one too!! im in that one too if she dont blow up LOL
http://www.allstreetshowdown.com/

enjoy!

Pics show the trip to Lingenfelter and then their Adjustable Launch Controller, RPM Limiter 2 Step & Timing Retard LNC-002...yes...the GXP is 2 stepping!! maybe one of the first to do so and if not....first one Lingenfelter has ever had their unit used on successfully...in their directions it says that it should work on LS4 but has not been tested...well..it works!! heres a link to it....give some more info

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C51

they were a little picky and cautious on what I could take pics of...but I saw their 10sec LS9 camaro...saw the ZR1 Hero Vette that they are giving away from Brad Pasely!! saw their new dyno and all...great facility and really nice staff; as I said above...just a real class act!

The box allows me to retard timing and be able to set the rate of it to be pulled etc...it is set up to pull timing at my set number once the FJO N2O controller activates my N2O selinoid....so this way...i can keep my non N2O boosted tune at the same timing rate!! keep that power!

as far as the 2 step...it is designed for the LSx engines and our coil packs and sound specific LSx wires to plug and play will allow you to refrence your "arming" voltage or switch...whatever you want to use according to your needs and build...manual, clutch refrence etc....but it will let you set the desired "cap" RPM to start stepping!! it sounds amazing!! ill get some clips shortly!!

also...a new and updated pic of engine bay! as you can see...nice pretty STB bar!! i was tired of the hood rubbing my new paint jobs off...so I broke down and took it to INDY Powdercoating....got lucky they were running red and there is not much to our STB bars as you guys know!! LOL...but now..its shinney and durable...and no more hood scrape issues literally pushing the paint off with just pressure and heat...even with a heat rated paint! I have a weather strip seal on it though to keep the metal off metal contact...but it looks sooo much better...even had the bolts dipped and anodized black from silver...one of my sponsors (S&S Performance Center, Brownsburg, IN) threw'em in for free...that was another lucky day for me and the girl LOL...they do good favors for me like that!! Thanks Rich!!

Have some more pics im gonna post up...this post wasnt allowing me to put all in .....next one should be the bar a little better and some rain on my DDing girl to show you guys it is LOL...and i cleared my night shaded tails...and top center...looks a lil better than flat i think!!
Attached Thumbnails Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-002.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-003.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-004.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-005.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-006.jpg  

Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-008.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-009.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-015.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-019.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-021.jpg  

Last edited by Rossko85; 06-27-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Default More pics! Lol

heres the STB bar...very well done! and some pics of the tails and the water LOL...ill keep you guys posted and will have the gf doing video for me!! i hope my tuner doesnt back down now!! one day before the event and he is pushing it!! LOL...gotta go fill the bottle too!! dam!! so much to do!! lucky got a nice week of weather...Knock on wood boyz and girlz!! we are making history over here in Indianapolis/Plainfield, IN!!! LOL

there are also some pics of how the box just is made for the LSx cars...

and also are some links to my photobucket of some REALLY CLOSE video of the 2 step...so its a little distorted but you can really hear it on the last stall up in the street...the garage is only in park...

in the garage on start up and first install in park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvZLR0v7MRI

On street and stalling it up against that TEP/PI 3300 stall!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFsLyr7Er-I
Attached Thumbnails Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-016.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-017.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-018.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-023.jpg   Project:  GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)-026.jpg  

Last edited by Rossko85; 06-27-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Project: GXP-TN20 (Rossko 85's remote mount turbo build thread)