LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Monte is in the shop =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monte is in the shop =(

I ran over a very VERY shallow pothole , about an inch to an inch and a half deep, at like 10 to 15 mph at the very most...

Right after noticed vibration and noise coming from the front left..Also seems to pull to the left a little during heavy breaking..

Sounds similiar to a wheel bearing but the sound isnt as often..wheel bearing is like thumthumthum..this sounds like thum.....thum.....thum... yeah stupid but its the best way I can describe itt..In my experiences with bad wheel bearings they normally only make noise at a certain speed, whereas this does it all the time.

Its in the shop now but they won't be able to look at it for another 2-3 hours

Anyone else ever experience anything like this? I can't believe such a small hole at low speeds caused this, lol
Old 04-05-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

i hit a pothole and killed both my right side wheels, dunno if the stock wheels r any stronger, but i have ARE's, 18x8's and 235/50's
Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Model16
wheel bearing is like thumthumthum..this sounds like thum.....thum.....thum...
^^Classic
Old 04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick_Nasty's_GXP
^^Classic
Wheel bearings always sound to me more like a "buzzzzzzzzzzzzz" that you can feel more than hear.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Wheel bearings always sound to me more like a "buzzzzzzzzzzzzz" that you can feel more than hear.
HMMMM. I actually have a noise coming from the front tires when I back out of the driveway and when I travel below 10MPH. I thought it would be the wheel bearings but this guy at work told me it was breaks. But how can it be brakes when I'm not stepping on them??
Old 04-05-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

HMMMM. I actually have a noise coming from the front tires when I back out of the driveway and when I travel below 10MPH. I thought it would be the wheel bearings but this guy at work told me it was breaks. But how can it be brakes when I'm not stepping on them??
Well, the brake pads do rest up against the rotors (ever so slightly) even when you're not on the pedal. I've never heard a good set of brakes make noise in the conditions you describe. I might me more inclined to think it's wheel bearings, too.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the brake pads do rest up against the rotors (ever so slightly) even when you're not on the pedal. I've never heard a good set of brakes make noise in the conditions you describe. I might me more inclined to think it's wheel bearings, too.
Yeah I am hearing it on both sides of the front end. It might be break pads. If it is, it's a good excuse to get ceramic!! IDK when the brakes were last done because I just bought the car in July.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I am hearing it on both sides of the front end. It might be break pads. If it is, it's a good excuse to get ceramic!! IDK when the brakes were last done because I just bought the car in July.
Een if they make that noise at low speed, it doesn't necesarily mean they're bad. Do you get any vibration through the pedal when braking? Is there any brake smell when you get out of the car after normal driving?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Een if they make that noise at low speed, it doesn't necesarily mean they're bad. Do you get any vibration through the pedal when braking? Is there any brake smell when you get out of the car after normal driving?
Nope.. No noise, smell, or vibrating
Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Nope.. No noise, smell, or vibrating
The brakes are probably fine, then.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The brakes are probably fine, then.
You know where I can get some quality wheel bearings? I checked Ebay but for some reason I'd rather buy from an actual website LOL
Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

You know where I can get some quality wheel bearings? I checked Ebay but for some reason I'd rather buy from an actual website LOL
I haven't needed wheel bearings for the Impala, but when I did the ones in my Grand National last year, I ordered them from Jegs, I think.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't needed wheel bearings for the Impala, but when I did the ones in my Grand National last year, I ordered them from Jegs, I think.
Alright THX man...Sorry to go OP!!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Shop says its from doing a burnout...I highly doubt it, I've literally only done 1 since I've gotten the car and it was half assed. Even if it was, why would the left tire only be messed, and especially after one short half assed burn out...Oh well.

They say nothing is wrong with the wheel bearing, and just the tires are messed up....This is the dealers shop, and the warranty ends tomorrow So I think they may just be trying to save cash, Im gonna look at it myself tomorrow, something I shoulda done in the first place, lol

I highly doubt it, but then again I could be wrong.

Not to mention I did the burnout probably 3 days ago..And the noise and movement started happening RIGHT AFTER i hit the pothole, which was a day and a half ago...

Half of me hopes its just a wheel bearing so it will be free covered by warranty..Other half doesnt mind, cause I can ditch these all season tires for some performance ones...ha
Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could rotate tires to see if problem moves.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Well I got it back today, guess dealer was right, lol..

No problems with either wheelbearing...I guess the half *** burnout I did was the cause of all this..Caused a small flatspot on the left tire...

Lesson learned, don't half *** burnouts anymore..lol

Quick Reply: Monte is in the shop =(