LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

H/D Chin Spoiler for the GXP! Pic heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

It's no problem, the foam will mold to the bumper easily enough.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Picked this up tonight and have some questions. The bend on the bumper, going from side to front, seems like a tight radius for this stuff. It didn't seem to want to comfort in a curve at all and bowed when I tried to force it more. I wasn't installing it, just holding it place. Did anyone try making a pie cut to the back to help it bend easier? Also anyone have a measurement of how long the piece is that sticks out as the spoiler? This stuff I got is only about an inch long and seems to go out more than down. I'm gonna lay it out and let it relax and see what it does first.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to throw this in here as an alternative:

http://cgi.ebay.com/270575401367
Old 04-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Teching In

i did this same thing over the winter. i did the pie cut, where it curves around the bumper and it worked very well. and used self tapping screws for extra security.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

I did mine in the summer also...............and yes it wasn't really happy about that curve. I ended up putting on two rows of the tape in that area with out any problems. You might try a hair dyer just to warm up the foam a little.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Launching!

If you do use the self tapping screws either don't screw them in too tight, or space them out evenly because I've seen a couple people who ended up with 'pressure points' or crimps

still love the look of this though!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Does this make the car run hotter or get worse gas milage?? Your changing the airflow under the car,just wondering what the side effects will be.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Teching In

anyone using the 3m double sided tape should get the vhb(very high bond). like other posters said use alchohol on all surfaces and heat with heat gun slightly or hair dryer. surfaces have to be clean and 70 degrees. there is also 3m keel primer applicator that comes in a breakable tube. i use this stuff a lot doing police cars. like another poster said if you do use like a #8 self tapper you may need to use 1/4" washers or #8 or 10 fender washers very close to another because it may look "crimped" in locations you screw. i may try this soon looks good.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i gotta head out and see if i can find some stickier stuff. the 3M tape i bought will not stick to the foam piece for me. i used prepall from a body shop to clean the surfaces off of wax/grease/dirt and it didnt help any.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 428 Likes on 337 Posts

I like this mod....I might give it a try on my camaro.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

well after i was done being frustrated i thought id give it another shot. i went and got some 91% isopropyl alcohol and 3M tape from autozone this time. I wiped down a part of the strip and let it dry. i tried attaching some of the new tape and nothing, still slides right off with very very little tack to the the strip. So i wipe down the other end thinking maybe its this one end that is screwy. well that wasnt the case, its exactly the same on the other side. So last ditch effort was to apply some tape to the car, which stuck just fine, and i used a heat gun to warm up the rubber and glue strip a little and applied the strip to the tape. no luck, though it did stick a little it wasnt enough to hold its own weight up. im pretty bummed i cant get this to work as easy as it should be to do. i may go get another stip and not use the prepall and just alcohol and see if it makes a difference, i just dont want to use screws on this because i think it will have some sag between the screws and it just wont look right.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

so today i couldnt stop thinking about how i could make this thing work. so on my way home i thought maybe ill go to menards and see if they have a different style seal. after looking at it, i knew this was the part i needed. i got home cleaned off the end with a little alcohol, slapped a piece of tape on it, and wham it stuck like no other. it took me more time to peel the little piece of 3M tape off then it did to open it up and wipe it down. so it looks like this little project is back on for me, hopefully this upcoming weekend. so do i call this the M spoiler now instead of the H/D spoiler?

the difference between the 2 is that the H/D spoiler was a soft foam/rubber combo and the tape just wouldnt adhere. the one from menards is solid rubber and hard, which is what i needed in the first place. im kinda excited now to get back on this and very very glad i stopped at the other store on a whim. ill post up pics when i get it done.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

does anyone have pictures of an SS impala with this idea? or know what it will look like? im diggin this idea
Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Do you think this would look good on a black gxp or not noticable
Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think it would be noticeable. I just put it on my silver GXP and its hardly noticeable. I wish it was about 2" longer.

Quick Reply: H/D Chin Spoiler for the GXP! Pic heavy!