LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

chime in about warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chime in about warranty

Ok so I got my Doug Thorley headers and my dad is the type who doesn't like after-market parts on cars. well he is the service manager at my dealership where i get my car worked on and he is saying that if i put my headers on it will void my power-train warranty. I know there are people here that work for gm and others who have researched this before. He printed off some papers on it showing me but the only thing i saw was that it would void the warranty on that specific part. Can anyone help with this and give details? Thankss
Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would think if that would void the warranty the rest of the stuff you put on should have too? Right?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html
Old 08-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Well id say if he is the service manager then hed have no problem with you taking em off if somthing breaks and bringing it in. lol Jeff
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Launching!

Yeah you're pretty much voiding the warranty. The car was not designed for those headers nor the extra power they add.
When I was doing engine reliability our company tested a few parts and you never knew what to expect. That's why your warranty would be void.
The MM act is simply to allow you to use fram oil filters, not gm oil filters... and such like that. A lot of people try to take it out of context for performance parts that "should have no affect on the breakage".
Basically it all falls back to you pay to play. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to trying to get warranty out of a modified vehicle, but it's a very risky business. All they had to do at our company was check one box and write in a short comment and the 100k mile powertrain was gone, no matter what dealer you took it to.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Your bolt on's does not void your warranty I have extended warranty and no problem
with any warranty issue I bring the car in for
Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Your bolt on's does not void your warranty I have extended warranty and no problem
with any warranty issue I bring the car in for
you've made changes to your car????

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

In a case like this, it all comes down to how hard they want to push the issue. If a warranty adjuster were ever sent out to check the car due to a claim and saw the pipes, chances are it would not be covered. If the technician working on the car just overlooks them, then you don't have any issues.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright thanks guys. i told my dad that if he were to void my warranty for something like that then hes just being one of those dealerships that are picky about everything and ********* lol. i doubt he would void my warranty and since i have the headers i am probably going to still install them.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Is yours an 06 or 07?

The 5 year or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty started on the 2007 model year vehicles. Heres a link I found

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/

What Is Not Covered
All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium-duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details, refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

This is a supplement to the express conditions and warranties described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet. Other coverages are not extended or altered due to this supplement.

For 2007 through 2009 model year passenger car, light-duty truck, crossover and van owners requiring a more comprehensive coverage than what is provided with this warranty and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, an authorized GM service contract (GM Protection Plan) is available through your dealer/retailer). This is the only plan recommended by General Motors. See your dealer/retailer for details
Old 08-17-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jabronie78
Is yours an 06 or 07?

The 5 year or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty started on the 2007 model year vehicles. Heres a link I found

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/

What Is Not Covered
All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium-duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details, refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

This is a supplement to the express conditions and warranties described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet. Other coverages are not extended or altered due to this supplement.

For 2007 through 2009 model year passenger car, light-duty truck, crossover and van owners requiring a more comprehensive coverage than what is provided with this warranty and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, an authorized GM service contract (GM Protection Plan) is available through your dealer/retailer). This is the only plan recommended by General Motors. See your dealer/retailer for details
Mines an 06
Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
alright thanks guys. i told my dad that if he were to void my warranty for something like that then hes just being one of those dealerships that are picky about everything and ********* lol. i doubt he would void my warranty and since i have the headers i am probably going to still install them.
Your dads dealership wouldn't be a "pricky" one for following the rules. You're modifying the car, deal with the fact that you WILL void your warranty.

To put in perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJG0A3XVqWQ

Now would you think the TV manufacturer should be responible for any "warranty" work on these tv's since they were "modified"???
Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Mines an 06
Then you are out of warranty unless you bought an extended.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When did you get the DT's?? I knew you were looking but I had no idea you bought some.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick_Nasty's_GXP
When did you get the DT's?? I knew you were looking but I had no idea you bought some.
DT had one more set and i bought them. they had some light scratches on them, so i got them at discount price.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DT had one more set and i bought them. they had some light scratches on them, so i got them at discount price.
o....
Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

tell your dad to quit being such a hardass lol
Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
tell your dad to quit being such a hardass lol
i know a lot of the people who work there. especially the mechanics and service writers. i used to work in the service department when i was in high school. so im pretty good with them all lol. but if he makes the call then they have to listen to him. i doubt he would do that tho. i think hes just trying to convince me not to put them on
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick_Nasty's_GXP
o....
nick call them up! they told me that the set they sold me was their last ones but obviously their not cuz someone on here just bought a set last week and its been almost a month now since i got mine
Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Launching!

nick call them up! they told me that the set they sold me was their last ones but obviously their not cuz someone on here just bought a set last week and its been almost a month now since i got mine

On that note as well, I talked to them well over a month ago and he told me then he only had 2 or 3 sets left and wasn't planning on making any more once they were gone.
He may just be telling people that so they buy them on the spot.