LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

DDM HID Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DDM HID Install Question

Yes you guys got me to get the HID's especially since finding 'brighter' headlights is next to impossible for these.

Anyway, I got everything in but I was wondering if the fact that those locking covers (that seal the headlight bulb area) are supposed to be no longer used? Obviously with wires hanging out of there its not gonna be able to be put on.

Also I am going to mounth the ballasts(two per side) right on top of the frame support thing that goes from side to side. Will this be ok as far as being protected from the weather?

Thanks to whomever may answer!
Old 09-04-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hurley_21_07
Yes you guys got me to get the HID's especially since finding 'brighter' headlights is next to impossible for these.

Anyway, I got everything in but I was wondering if the fact that those locking covers (that seal the headlight bulb area) are supposed to be no longer used? Obviously with wires hanging out of there its not gonna be able to be put on.

Also I am going to mounth the ballasts(two per side) right on top of the frame support thing that goes from side to side. Will this be ok as far as being protected from the weather?

Thanks to whomever may answer!
Drill a small hole in the back of the headlight covers, thats what the included grommet is for.

I mounted my ballasts to the radiator support. I wouldn't mount them to the lateral braces.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Drill a small hole in the back of the headlight covers, thats what the included grommet is for.

I mounted my ballasts to the radiator support. I wouldn't mount them to the lateral braces.
what nacho said ^
Old 09-04-2010, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

I already mounted them on the lateral support.

So drill a hole just big enough for the plug wiring to fit through yes? Sounds good.

Also all of the excess wiring I just stuffed behind the passenger headlight. Does any of it get hot?

I would imagine by looking at all of the hardware that it is pretty weather proof.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Ok I drilled holes through those plastic circle locking seal things and it worked beautifully.

I have to go check now though I honestly cant remember if I put the low beam bulbs and high beam bulbs in the right places...I am sure I did but now I have to check and re-aim the lights.

Thanks all!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Launching!

I just got a few pair's to, one for my Lows, and one for my Fogs. I actually switched the wiring so when my DRL's are on, my fogs are on instead, and then I can just push my fog button to turn the lights on, weird, but I like it. These lights are awesome, lol, couldn't have asked for better.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok I drilled holes through those plastic circle locking seal things and it worked beautifully.

I have to go check now though I honestly cant remember if I put the low beam bulbs and high beam bulbs in the right places...I am sure I did but now I have to check and re-aim the lights.

Thanks all!
Please tell me you didn't buy HIDs for your hi beams?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did the same.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

LOL I did get high beams too. I am gonna switch back though to the halogens.

I will keep the stuff though for spare parts.

Are the low and high beam bulbs the same? There is no identifying markers on them so would I be able to swap them to the lows if something happens?
Old 09-05-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL I did get high beams too. I am gonna switch back though to the halogens.

I will keep the stuff though for spare parts.

Are the low and high beam bulbs the same? There is no identifying markers on them so would I be able to swap them to the lows if something happens?
Alright, the way an HID bulb works they are not suited to being in the high beams. Do you notice when you start your car how the bulbs light up and get brighter slowly? When you turn your brights on, you need immediate light at a moments notice...which doesn't work with HIDs. Switching them on and off constantly also kills the ballasts from the currents running in and out.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I noticed what a pain the high beams are with HIDs immediately after dark. This was before I had known anything. I lost one now I lost the other so I will obviously be putting the halogens back in. I should have done it last night but I didn't. Also looks like the ballast that controls the hi beam that was working slid down it's mounting spot, mustn't been cooking the adhesive, uh oh. Hey live and learn right?

Anyway, I think I am gonna do like the other guy did and switch the plugs around and have the fogs be my DRLs since I always run them during he day, those are halogens still. I will just have HID low beams like I should. My Philips H9s are very bright anyway.

I had another question but forgot now. Very busy day and posting from iPhone.

Thanks guys
Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Ok I have a problem, now one of the high beams works but I lost the low beam on that side. I will take it all out tomorrow and redo it. Can I get pics and info on how u guys did it so perfect?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

I've got an HID install write-up at NAIOA.com in the knowledge database section. I'm heading out of the office, but head over there and check it out.

Quick Reply: DDM HID Install Question