See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once it shifts to 4th and drops to 1500rpms, usually around 50mph, itll surge up to about 2000 or slightly lower, havent noticed it do it more than 1 time per 4th gear shift, usually happens within 30 seconds of going into 4th. smooth driving otherwise, shifts smooth, drives nice when cold, no shudder, slips, nothing else.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

today drove 15 miles on the highway, did the surge thing 2 times, once at 68mph, only surged about 2-300 rpms, and the first time it did it, was within the first 30 seconds of shifting to 4th while slowly accellerating on the highway
Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rvd9431
today drove 15 miles on the highway, did the surge thing 2 times, once at 68mph, only surged about 2-300 rpms, and the first time it did it, was within the first 30 seconds of shifting to 4th while slowly accellerating on the highway
Could be a valve in the trans or possibly the early stages of TCC failure.

Either way, I'm adding you to the list.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Could be a valve in the trans or possibly the early stages of TCC failure.

Either way, I'm adding you to the list.
**** me.........should I wait for it to fail?? Or should I pay to have the pan pulled and check for shavings, id do it myself but itd just be a PITA to do in my garage, id have to buy a big enough pan, pray i dont make a mess.......anyway I called GM and let them know that my trans was showing early signs of TCC failure, the rep said that this needs to be confirmed by a GM dealer, then theyd tell me if they can help me at all.....go figure, id be lucky to have them pay half of a new trans. I also told them that I would not be satisfied spending $3k on a remanned trans that would just **** out on me in another 40k, still they said nothing more than "we need confirmation from your GM dealer that your trans is failing" guess all i can do is pull the pan and see whats inside this weekend
Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

**** me.........should I wait for it to fail?? Or should I pay to have the pan pulled and check for shavings, id do it myself but itd just be a PITA to do in my garage, id have to buy a big enough pan, pray i dont make a mess.......anyway I called GM and let them know that my trans was showing early signs of TCC failure, the rep said that this needs to be confirmed by a GM dealer, then theyd tell me if they can help me at all.....go figure, id be lucky to have them pay half of a new trans. I also told them that I would not be satisfied spending $3k on a remanned trans that would just **** out on me in another 40k, still they said nothing more than "we need confirmation from your GM dealer that your trans is failing" guess all i can do is pull the pan and see whats inside this weekend
I'd pull the pan and see how it looks. Post pictures here, or on gmls4.com (I'm on that site much more than 'Tech these days) if you're not sure about what you're seeing.

If you do find a problem, you need to be realistic about your options. As mentioned before, a reman or even a brand new GM transmission will still have the flaws that cause most of our failures. Paying the dealer $3000, installed, only buys you a warranty for a trans that has AT LEAST a 1 in 3 chance of failing again. If you want to solve the problem permanently, then you need to investigate the aftermarket solution. There are a few places that specialize in our trans and they understand how to address and prevent these problems. I, along with many on this site, have worked with Dave @ Triple Edge Performance (www.tripleedgeperformance.com). A high-performance street-strip rebuild from this shop sell for $1749+ shipping. You can probably find a shop that will install for around $400-$600. TEP also gives a 1 year, 15,000 mile warranty with this trans. So, for the less $$ than what you would pay a dealer to give you a flawed, stock reman trans, you could get one that will be reliable and drive way better than a stocker.

There are other places that you can get a trans rebuilt, but you have to make sure they understand what needs to be addressed so that you don't have these problems in the future.

Food for thought.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Ive been doing plenty of research on them, I am friends with the local chevrolet dealers trans tech, he has done side work for me before and he rebuilds all trans' for the dealer, im sure i can get him to rebuild my trans on the side for half the cost it would be through the dealer, im just having trouble contacting TEP through email, might call tomorrow since they wont reply, I basically just need them to tell me what I need to fully rebuild my trans given no hard parts are broken. Plan on getting the their complete rebuild kit, I just want to do it right the first time so I wont have to worry about another failure, so I just need them to tell me what else I would need besides that kit to rebuild a reliable trans.

I was thinking about just buying their standard rebuild trans, but between paying to ship them mine, waiting for the overhaul, paying and waiting for the return shipping, im just gonna go the rebuild route, its cheapest, unless I can just pay for the core charge and get reimbursed when I ship them mine......i dont know what do to honestly I havent decided, I like the piece of mind that their trans will come with a warranty, the side job rebuild wont.......so I dont know, im just hoping my trans holds up while I decide, im driving it 50 miles a day

I wont be modding my car anymore than anything that can improve fuel economy, as it is my DD, and I wont be beating on it at all, probably wont even go WOT ever haha i drive cars all day so I get the abuse out on those

Last edited by rvd9431; 04-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Default 2006 Monte Carlo SS Trans Failure

The transmission on my car died at 41,500ish miles. It would **** up on me all the time. It had serious problems with shifting into 2nd where it would surge up in RPM's and then slam into the next gear really hard. Sometimes when I would be out driving backroads it would even just fall out of gear on flat ground. The last two times I drove it wouldn't go into reverse it, wouldn't stay in reverse once it was in, in drive it just kept falling put of gear repeatedly until it completely died on the dealers lot. They ended up replacing the transmission and torque converter. I have only had this car for 20,000 miles of it's life. Thank god for the extended warranty the total tab was like $5300.00.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

I am on the list for replacements already but I would like to add that I am having problems with my replaced transmission currently. I am having hard 1-2 shifts once and a while. Also, the TCC is acting up around 45mph.

Damn Car!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Teching In

rvd what year is yours because if its 2007 up all pontiacs are covered 5yr./100k on powertrain. if it is 07 up do not touch the trans. pan. take it to buick gmc dealer they are the ones doing warranty work for pontiac. like i said i had problems and took it in. $94 for them to check out the warranty issues and $119 to change fluid and filter. mine was there all weekend because i didn't want to drive it. they test drove it monday nothing. i said try again next day nothing. i went in the morning following day and went out with the trans. guy and got on his good side, told him how i trained in GM program in college and told him the problems. cold as anything in the morning and nothing. so i told them to do the flush and he said if he finds converter material in the pan they would tear into it and nothing at all is at cost to me even a rental car. so they found converter material because it is different than trans. material. he knew about the converter problem on these cars and has done some. it will be done early in the week. they even said they may use a brand new trans. if bad enough. new converter and trans. would be great, but not getting my hopes up.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

its an 06, im familiar with the GM warranty
Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ToastedTires
The transmission on my car died at 41,500ish miles. It would **** up on me all the time. It had serious problems with shifting into 2nd where it would surge up in RPM's and then slam into the next gear really hard. Sometimes when I would be out driving backroads it would even just fall out of gear on flat ground. The last two times I drove it wouldn't go into reverse it, wouldn't stay in reverse once it was in, in drive it just kept falling put of gear repeatedly until it completely died on the dealers lot. They ended up replacing the transmission and torque converter. I have only had this car for 20,000 miles of it's life. Thank god for the extended warranty the total tab was like $5300.00.
Added you to the list.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Well I have from a stop thud going into gear happened three times today and the proceeded to notice my tranny temps rise up to 195*. I'm assuming it didn't look promising for it. Jeff
Old 04-08-2011, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

damn how does everyone here drive their cars?? What kind of driving do you do normally, any occasional abuse? This is just crazy....
Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Could this reach the 200 by next year? Damn.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

damn how does everyone here drive their cars?? What kind of driving do you do normally, any occasional abuse? This is just crazy....
I beat up on my tramp,and she died on me @30k
Old 04-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

I just do normal daily driving. I definately don't beat on it, but goose it here and there but not much. Jeff
Old 04-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Ls1 racing: what i mean is when I am driving on the highway at around 50-60 mph the car feels like it stays at 2000rpm and drops rpms slighlty after that and feels forced could this be a tranny issue?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

All highways miles at 65-70 MPH, no abuse. It gets about 1000 miles a week.

Originally Posted by chaman
Could this reach the 200 by next year? Damn.
Would not surprise me!

Originally Posted by SScali
Ls1 racing: what i mean is when I am driving on the highway at around 50-60 mph the car feels like it stays at 2000rpm and drops rpms slighlty after that and feels forced could this be a tranny issue?
Sound like normal TCC lockup to me.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by plmrass
Well I have from a stop thud going into gear happened three times today and the proceeded to notice my tranny temps rise up to 195*. I'm assuming it didn't look promising for it. Jeff
Added you to the list. Sounds like you have bad seals.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Add me too the list. When the tranny temp gets to 190 it shifts from 1st gear and bangs into 4th. It has 72000 on the stock trans.

Quick Reply: LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside