See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still running these totals at GMLS4.com!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up add me to list too

I got 07 grand prix gxp. with 45,000 mi. (CURRENTLY STOCK) having same issues as everyone else (slipping, shuttering,etc.) have a powertrain warranty i purchased with car, so will be taking into shop. that is if it shows signs of failure when i bring it in. Just filed complaint with NHTSA complaint/ ODI #10450509. calling GM next. just wanted to get on your list so we can all get some vehicle justice!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Default Transmission on its last limb

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS with 65,000 miles give or take, and the problems have been gradually getting worse. When I attempt to accelerate from a stop it freezes then jerks into gear at about twenty miles an hour. I've purchased a warranty and plan to have it serviced soon. I seen this thread as a lurker and decided to join when I seen this thread. I had no clue the problem was widespread.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by D J Real
holy hell, I think the real question is who still has their stock trans and hasn't had any problems? **** I think just me and a few others on here fall into the category.
My trans is original as far as I know, I bought it with powertrain warranty remaining and according to GM it has never been replaced. It has almost 70,000 miles on it, still strong, had a small flair going into 4th, flushed it with the BG flush kit and Dex VI, been great since.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Unhappy Another one

2006 Impala SS 95XXX

Shutters and clunks from purchase at 80XXX

Was in the Taco Bell drive thru in the car day 2 after a long Minnesota winter of storage and the car wouldn't shift into drive with 2 others behind me in the drive thru i backed up the line and pushed it into a parking spot and after a talk with the manager to prevent a tow I hopped back in and it went into gear and I limped it to the dealership but anything past 3k rpms popped out of gear with nothing but revs.

But lucky for me a month after purchasing the car a couple years back I found this thread here and bought a warranty and now made a account to share the story... and just in time to get in on that group header buy!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by D J Real
holy hell, I think the real question is who still has their stock trans and hasn't had any problems? **** I think just me and a few others on here fall into the category.
I've got my stock tranny no problemo... 64k
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Default add me

1-2 slipping 89000 miles guess i made it farther than most
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frito08SS
I've got my stock tranny no problemo... 64k

Wait for it....
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Was looking at possibly buying an impala SS, black with sunroof, nice car, GM vehicle service records for warranty work showed at around 60K a rebuilt/new transmission put in it. I know it wont count towards your problem count but thought I would mention it.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Teching In

I literally have cash in hand and was about to purchase one of these cars on Craigslist for a steal. After coming upon this thread, I will have to pass. Damn, all the cars that I am looking up have major issues.

Thanks for saving me thousands of dollars.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Default Yay, I just joined the transmission club

The very morning my stock, '06 Impala SS rolled 50K miles, it started the good 'ole rev & clunk from every stop. Also after reading the thread, it seems I have had a problem with the TCC, as it never has maintained a steady cruise RPM. It was always as if it was unable to make up its' mind on whether to be in or out of lock up. Constantly. I thought it was just the factory tune.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

Be sure to check-in at gmls4.com, as we don't track this thread anymore. Updated numbers are on that site.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Hey all,

I have an 07 GXP with only 34K miles and drives smooth as silk - not so much a month after I bought it a year ago.. I had a few shudder incidents and some other odd happenings, so after reading all the problems on this thread, I called by buddy = he is a 35+ GM trans guy and says the way to prevent problems in the 4T65e's is to put extra magnets in the pan (GM bulletin) and use an external filter (not GM published). He says most failures he's dealt with are the result of particulate build up in the shift/ pressure solenoids and valve body, so the only way to prevent it is to run inline filter. He told me the torque converter clutch material wears so fine that it is NOT removed by the stock trans filter and ends up suspended in the fluid and plugging critical areas of the valve body & solenoids. His instructions were to first dump/ flush the fluid, add the magnets, then add the filter and cooler. I've built many trans with him an not had a problem yet, so I trust his input without question. Interestingly, just changing the fluid it ran 20* cooler. After adding a shift kit, the cooler & filter - it shifts smooth and no issues at all... hope that helps someone!

***Disclaimer*** If you disagree with this, I respect your position but lets not start and argument!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by x11 nut
Hey all,

I have an 07 GXP with only 34K miles and drives smooth as silk - not so much a month after I bought it a year ago.. I had a few shudder incidents and some other odd happenings, so after reading all the problems on this thread, I called by buddy = he is a 35+ GM trans guy and says the way to prevent problems in the 4T65e's is to put extra magnets in the pan (GM bulletin) and use an external filter (not GM published). He says most failures he's dealt with are the result of particulate build up in the shift/ pressure solenoids and valve body, so the only way to prevent it is to run inline filter. He told me the torque converter clutch material wears so fine that it is NOT removed by the stock trans filter and ends up suspended in the fluid and plugging critical areas of the valve body & solenoids. His instructions were to first dump/ flush the fluid, add the magnets, then add the filter and cooler. I've built many trans with him an not had a problem yet, so I trust his input without question. Interestingly, just changing the fluid it ran 20* cooler. After adding a shift kit, the cooler & filter - it shifts smooth and no issues at all... hope that helps someone!

***Disclaimer*** If you disagree with this, I respect your position but lets not start and argument!
The suggestions made by your friend will definitely help in prolonging the life of the trans, but they don't solve all of the underlying issues that have been well-documented in this thread and elsewhere.

To be sure, next time I pull the pan, I'll be adding a couple of more magnets, even though the one in the pan now doesn't get all that bad. Of course, I do change the fluid every 15,000-20,000 miles, so I'm not giving crud a chance to build up.

So, to your point, I'm not disagreeing at all with those suggestions, but they're not a cure-all, either.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

My trans has been slipping, shuddering, knocking, etc... finally went out on me on my way in to work this morning. No 1st or second gear...finally got into gear and I was able to limp it into the parking lot. I'm not even gonna bother spending the 2K on a new trans...I'm getting rid of this POS!

BTW: 07 GXP 69,XXX miles.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well just an update here. TC was shot. The warranty is replacing it. The adjuster recommended a flush and fill filter and udate to the computer for almost 600 bucks.

We dont have the 600 right now and said just do the TC and put it back together.

Now the fun side of this is..the dealer said that they will not cover the work if the trans starts slipping or not works properly.

My question is. Its just the TC why would that "void" as they put it the work if they dont do the service? I can have it down cheaper than at the dealer thats why I am waiting.

Also whats the protocal on the fluid change on these cars? a flush is bad right?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
Well just an update here. TC was shot. The warranty is replacing it. The adjuster recommended a flush and fill filter and udate to the computer for almost 600 bucks.

We dont have the 600 right now and said just do the TC and put it back together.

Now the fun side of this is..the dealer said that they will not cover the work if the trans starts slipping or not works properly.

My question is. Its just the TC why would that "void" as they put it the work if they dont do the service? I can have it down cheaper than at the dealer thats why I am waiting.

Also whats the protocal on the fluid change on these cars? a flush is bad right?
Do you have an aftermarket warranty? If so I would just take it to another dealership. The warranty should cover the fill and "computer reflash" I would assume. My dealer had my aftermarket warranty cover half of my alignment when my tie rod needed to be replaced.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Banned

Original Trans died at 104k
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

my TC took out most everything else, just got my car back yesterday with a bunch of new Sonnax parts. Time will tell how it handles it but it obviously feels a ton better now than it has the last 15k miles.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Put me in coach. 07 GXP 115,000 miles on it. Slam shift, shutter and broke. Drove the car 30 miles to work no problem. Going home was another story. I drove about 2 miles it would not go over 10 - 15 mph. I got on the highway (did not have money for a tow) horns blew and fingers raised. The car gained speed 55 mph drove all the way home with little slippage. Looking to buy a TEP rebuild. Do I need any special tools to change it and is there a rear motor mount? Or do I need to find another way to hold the motor up?

Quick Reply: LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total Inside