LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Valve Spring Seat Pressure...Someone Clarify Plz

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Spring Seat Pressure...Someone Clarify Plz

Hey guys....was getting ready to get the springs in my car so i can crank her up to 10psi this spring...and I was wanting to get a little more info from anyone that can provide it.

Ive been told that the v6 cars have a problem with wearing their timing dampener from having too heavy of a seat pressure, that it can cause premature wear on it....

it was stated like this from ZZP:

Spring rate determines how much pressure the spring will have when the valve is open. This is very important because the spring pressure when the valve is opening determines the force needed to open the valve. The more force needed, the higher the stress on the timing chain system. In our case, the stock timing chain dampener. This means that the higher the spring pressure during valve opening the more wear on the stock timing dampener.

so was wanting to know which way i should go, should i listen to this in accordance with my build and our motors or cause we are LSx am i good to run a higher spring rate like a 130? im just wondering if the 105s are gonna be too little and dont want to find it out after they are put in and have to do it again!! LOL...and I dont want too much and start wearing things down...

so guys that have done this or know about this have at it please!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Launching!

I dunno if I'll be any help, but when I installed my rockers, I put in the patriot performance dual springs and they're 135lbs.

Had them in since May '10, and so far no problems.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

that helps...a bit...i just want to know a lil more into it...i might just go the dual gold route....i had some and let them go back...but duals are really overkill for me...im running stock cam and keeping stock rockers cause they are good to well over .600 lift...im no where near that! and i might put my pushrods i have on their too with the springs...i just have to keep my valves for floating...they float around 9.5-10psi....so gotta close em LOL...

then maybe a more efficient turbo to kick that boost in with my 293's a little better
Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patriot Golds and be done!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
Patriot Golds and be done!
even on factory timing chain and dampener? Im not running a cam or anything right now...could be in the future...just dont want it to be over kill for it and cause it to **** out on me ya know?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

PAC beehives will be plenty for you. They live in the GN's with extreme cams running over 20psi, so I think they will work for the 3800 at 10lbs of boost.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Hey thanks...but we have LS4's here sir...

LSX V8s!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

From the Gen-III Internal Sticky:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...-lift-etc.html

I highly recommend beehives for applications with camshafts under .600" lift because of their significantly lower effective mass and lower hysteresis (friction shows up in the hysteresis).