LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Free fix for whining idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free fix for whining idler pulley

I held off on posting this for a long long time, cause I was sure it was going to come right back. I am almost up to a year now with the whine gone. Might as well share this for others.
This is for the idler pulley that is on top, towards the front of the car. Take it off, turn it around, put it back on. Fixed. At least for me it has been. I was shocked when I first started it up. I thought for sure it would be back in a day, a week, a month, but it is still quiet.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jderou_GXP
I held off on posting this for a long long time, cause I was sure it was going to come right back. I am almost up to a year now with the whine gone. Might as well share this for others.
This is for the idler pulley that is on top, towards the front of the car. Take it off, turn it around, put it back on. Fixed. At least for me it has been. I was shocked when I first started it up. I thought for sure it would be back in a day, a week, a month, but it is still quiet.
Was it like a squeak, on and off or was it a straight whine? I have a squeak in mine sometimes when its been sitting for a few days. I haven't started my car since November but I was thinking it was the drive belt since it was a squeak. Sounds like it could be a pulley though. It goes away once its been running a minute or two
Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

This was a constant whine. Think supercharger whine. I know it is fairly common, and I have heard others with it.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

I have the same sound when mine idles. Sounds just like blower whine, kinda cool.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have that same whine. When i mash on the pedal it sounds like a blower lol but yeah its kind of annoying. so exactly where is this idle pulley thing?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

From memory, looking at the serp belt from the passenger side, it will be on the top at far right. Closest one to the radiator. it is a ribbed pulley if that helps.
I was thinking about this earlier, I bet you could achieve the same results if you just loosened the center bolt and rotated the inner race 180 degrees. Would be worth a shot since you wouldnt have to remove the belt.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah because hearing that whine at idle is really really ANNOYING but when i mash the gas it screams lol but i just hate when it idles. im taking it that its really easy to do. how long did it take for you to do it?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jderou_GXP
quick fix, especially if the wallet is dried up
Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Doesn't that usually mean that the bearing is going bad?? I dunno if I'd risk it, just in case the bearing REALLY goes out and you throw a belt. Happened on my wife's Grand Am last year and ended up leaving her on the side of the road!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Yeah I would replace the whinning pulley. The bearing is on its way out and a thrown belt isnt any fun especially on the LS4s. Rotating the race wont save a failing bearing. I'd rather be safe than sorry and replace it. But knock on wood...all is quiet under the hood.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

The inner race on mine was had such a minor imperfection that you couldnt even feel it rotating in your hand. Changing the loading on it was enough to make it go away.
Its not going to suddenly fail, without warning. Took me about 15 minutes. Long as you have a way to get the belt on and off.

Quick Reply: Free fix for whining idler pulley