LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Trans warranty void due to CIA!!! WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans warranty void due to CIA!!! WTF

Title says it all. Smoked the trans on my '06 MC SS and the aftermarket warranty sais void because I have a K&N CIA on it. I know what everyone says: they have to prove it was the cause. But not sure how to fight it. They say ANY mod will void it, even if I changed something on the suspension. Any ideas who to call? What to do? Advice needed!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smoooth
Title says it all. Smoked the trans on my '06 MC SS and the aftermarket warranty sais void because I have a K&N CIA on it. I know what everyone says: they have to prove it was the cause. But not sure how to fight it. They say ANY mod will void it, even if I changed something on the suspension. Any ideas who to call? What to do? Advice needed!
Read your warranty contract closely and see if the mod thing is in writing. If it is not there, pay a lawyer to send them a letter threatening a lawsuit if they don't fix it.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Teching In

someone will chime in here i'm sure, but there is a law that says they have to prove your mod caused the failure. once you find out what the law is, go back to the service manager and ask him if he's ready for a law suit. you could also go to another dealer if there is one available, some dealers are ******** about simple mods, some are not.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N will verify that their intake does not void any warranties. It's just the dealership either being dicks or lazy. They even include a sticker and card saying as much.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put stock intake on, go to different dealer.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Teching In

K&N guarantees it will not void "factory" warrantee.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

He said it's an aftermarket warranty so it wouldn't be the service managers call, but they are somewhat to blame for repoting the CAI to the warrenty company. Who's your warranty through?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Then search here for an attorney. I even filled in your state :http://www.google.com/search?q=moss+...w=1280&bih=896
Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The CIA void your warranty?

Sorry I just had to.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Teching In

The CIA void your warranty?
DAMN! CAI.....wasn't thinking clearly when I posted.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

DAMN! CAI.....wasn't thinking clearly when I posted.
lol, we all knew what you mean.....I hope everything works out for you.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

This letter from K&N does just talk about filters, but might be worth a shot taking and showing to a dealership's service manager.

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer. K&N is unaware of any exemption or waiver granted by the FTC to any motor vehicle manufacturer, which pertains to air filters or oil filters.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Launching!

I wonder if that refers to the square drop in filters though?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Teching In

You should definitely call the dealerships b/s. I recently had my entire engine replaced under warranty, as well as a tranny rebuild. I have a k&n CAI and the dealer said nothing about it. In fact they put the CAI back on the new motor for me instead of a new stock airbox. I got all the work done at Jeff Gordon Chevrolet, they have an awesome reputation and didn't give me a hard time with the k&n. Good luck, you may just need to find a dealer who aren't complete dicks.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

It really depends, if it's an aftermarket warranty as you state, they could very well deny the claim based on any mods. I worked at a dealer that sold an aftermarket warranty from a company called "MPP" and ANY TIME we called in for a claim, one of the first things that they asked was "are there any aftermarket modifications to the vehicle?" If the answer was yes, they would deny the claim. Any Service Writer who's not F-ING RETARDED wouldn't tell them about a damn CAI, though, that's just G-D ridiculous! The dealership gets paid BY the warranty company to DO that work, and a trans job is HUGE money to the dealer, I can't believe they'd do that crap. If you did buy an aftermarket warranty, tho, read your pamphlet that they give you word-for-word and see what it says. A lot of them will let you go to "any ASE Certified shop" to do the repairs, and if that's the case I'd put your stock intake back on and take it elsewhere, then if they still try to deny it, I'd bitch them out over the phone till they can't hear anymore and tell them the dealership lied and they don't know what they're talking about. Tell them you can send them pics of your engine bay with the stock intake currently in it and the dealer can't prove otherwise. Worst they can do is say no lol.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Teching In

The dealership isn't the one to blame here. The warranty company actually had someone come and look at the car. I never liked this dealer in the past but think they really tried to help me. They are the ones that called K&N to check their guarantee. When the service manager called me the first question she asked was "When did you put that air intake on?" I said a month ago. Her response "Damnit, I was hoping you would say it was on the car when you bought it". I told her to ask again and I would

This is definitly the warranty company not the dealership being dicks here. Can't remember what company it was and the pamphlet is in the car (80 miles away). I'll check it out this weekend and post who they are.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry to hear you are having troubles...hopefully things will work out for you and they will realize that a CAI isnt the reason you smoked the tranny
Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never heard of a CAI voiding warranty before.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That blows literally, They try anything to get out of paying. Hope it gets taken care off

Quick Reply: Trans warranty void due to CIA!!! WTF