LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob questions

a quick couple questions i have always been wondering...

1.) what is the difference between a hand held programmer, and a performance chip? can u run them both at the same time and with a ECM/TCM?

2.) anyone know if the overkill motorsports ECM/TCM is good and worth it? and what is it that it really does??

3.) what does flipping the motor mount do?

sorry if they are stupid questions. i just always wanted to know these.

thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 06GPGXP33
a quick couple questions i have always been wondering...

1.) what is the difference between a hand held programmer, and a performance chip? can u run them both at the same time and with a ECM/TCM?

2.) anyone know if the overkill motorsports ECM/TCM is good and worth it? and what is it that it really does??

3.) what does flipping the motor mount do?

sorry if they are stupid questions. i just always wanted to know these.

thanks
1. The Handhelp programmer allows you to make customizations to your car that a chip wont. And truthfully, I dont believe you can even get a "chip" for a LS4 because of the computer system we have. You are basically limited to the better system. I.e Diablosport, HPTuners etc etc. I may be wrong however, i believe I am right

2. No Idea, I would recommend Diablosport, Look up 06MonteSS his name is Lew. He does custom tunes for LS4's with programmers in a package deal. I cant put the link but if you were to put in diablewtune a space and then .com in your url bar, you may like what you see!

3. Essentially it is making the engine a little more connected to the car. If you look at your motor mount now, It is almost shaped like a rectangle standing up with a rubber wall down the middle. The motor mount connects in the middle of the "wall". When you juice the engine, the motor leans back and pulls the "wall" into the free space, damping the feel to the driver, however reducing vibrations at idle etc etc. When you flip the mount 90 degrees , you are no making the "wall" horizontal instead of vertical, making the motor feel more connected and giving better feeling to the driver.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hazards280
1. The Handhelp programmer allows you to make customizations to your car that a chip wont. And truthfully, I dont believe you can even get a "chip" for a LS4 because of the computer system we have. You are basically limited to the better system. I.e Diablosport, HPTuners etc etc. I may be wrong however, i believe I am right

2. No Idea, I would recommend Diablosport, Look up 06MonteSS his name is Lew. He does custom tunes for LS4's with programmers in a package deal. I cant put the link but if you were to put in diablewtune a space and then .com in your url bar, you may like what you see!

3. Essentially it is making the engine a little more connected to the car. If you look at your motor mount now, It is almost shaped like a rectangle standing up with a rubber wall down the middle. The motor mount connects in the middle of the "wall". When you juice the engine, the motor leans back and pulls the "wall" into the free space, damping the feel to the driver, however reducing vibrations at idle etc etc. When you flip the mount 90 degrees , you are no making the "wall" horizontal instead of vertical, making the motor feel more connected and giving better feeling to the driver.
ahhhh i get it now. thanks i appreciate it!!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Launching!

ahhhh i get it now. thanks i appreciate it!!
I am also in Parma !!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To be honest with you dont flip the mount, its not much better than stock...If you wanna go that route try www.zzperformance.com and order the poly motor mounts. As far as tuners go, I would call vince at trifecta tuning great guy he will answer every question you can imagine and it certainly mad a huge differenc in my 08 ss. The engine and trans tune comes as one. trifectaperformance.com
Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

there are no chips for our cars... and if you find any that say they are, they're blowin' smoke up your you know what... they don't do anything...

you need a flash programmer, to reflash the ecm/tcm tune modules in the car...

yes, I do custom tuning for diablo products, and a diablo Trinity would be the way to go for your car, since it now has tcm/transmission support... and yes I offer them by themselves, or as a package deal with my custom tuning... can find info at www.diablewtune.com ...

and yeah, like balts mentioned above, you're better off getting a poly mount for that top dogbone mount, much better than just flipping the stock one...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry monte didnt mean to cut you off at the knees, ive heard great things about both trifecta and lew tunes. I beleive its a matter of preference but i dont think you can go wrong either way. There now it doesnt sound like im working for vince lol
Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
Sorry monte didnt mean to cut you off at the knees, ive heard great things about both trifecta and lew tunes. I beleive its a matter of preference but i dont think you can go wrong either way. There now it doesnt sound like im working for vince lol
hahaha!!... no worries man!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rm08gxp
I am also in Parma !!!!!!!!
what color is yours??
Old 02-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
To be honest with you dont flip the mount, its not much better than stock...If you wanna go that route try www.zzperformance.com and order the poly motor mounts. As far as tuners go, I would call vince at trifecta tuning great guy he will answer every question you can imagine and it certainly mad a huge differenc in my 08 ss. The engine and trans tune comes as one. trifectaperformance.com
i would get a hand held but i dont know how to use them. and i was going to take my car to get a dyno and tune when i was done modding. can i use the hand held while it gets dyno tuned or is it just working against eachother?

thanks
Old 02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Launching!

what color is yours??
Black, loud and fully tinted......
Old 02-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Launching!

i would get a hand held but i dont know how to use them. and i was going to take my car to get a dyno and tune when i was done modding. can i use the hand held while it gets dyno tuned or is it just working against eachother?

thanks
If you want a tune, I got the local place, hmu. maybe we can get a combo deal as im getting tunes also (dyno)
Old 02-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Teching In

If you want a tune, I got the local place, hmu. maybe we can get a combo deal as im getting tunes also (dyno)
sounds good.....u just drive down pleasant valley around 5? swear i seen one all black
Old 02-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Don't get a Overkill PCM. I had one and lost horse power, and had a local tuner with a dyno fix the tune.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

what local place for a tune?. im interested as i live in cleveland...
Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigalnash
what local place for a tune?. im interested as i live in cleveland...
pm sent
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Big 3 Racing (B3R) Hincley / Brunswick, No strangers to the LS community to say the least!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Big 3 Racing (B3R) Hincley / Brunswick, No strangers to the LS community to say the least!
nice they have a good price on everything?

Quick Reply: noob questions