LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

4 dash lights at once ahhhhhh!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 dash lights at once ahhhhhh!!!!

my 06 gxp has traction control light abs light brake light now variable steering service light on .. abs,brake,variable steering service started today after work on start up and idling not moving at all. Now stays on all the time. after restart. The traction light used to come and go intermittantly i pull a code few weeks ago was for the vertical roll sensor i think sits under the center console. I asked one guy says speed sensor causes those. but how is it going to cause variable steering service soon. Im sure a bad speed sensor can cause traction and abs issues. but how a steering issue. One mechanic said those power steering pumps go bad alot on those cars. Im thinking electrical issue here like a abs module or bcm. ???? I dont have codes right now in 2 days i will get to scan for them . anybody have similiar issues or fixes???
Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if the a speed sensor goes bad magnasteer also cuts power it has nothing to do with the pump. lookup under the car and check your speed sensor harness x2 driver and passenger side. If there all connected and no cuts/slashes then have the code read to determine which speed sensor is bad.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...bs-module.html
I did some research only to find that the GXP has stability control and the STEERING SENSOR is a key input to all your systems displaying lights.
You need a TECH II to zero it (providing it has not failed)

ALSO for all GXP owners this HAS to be done during an alignment. So ask for it as most shops don`t even know. According to reliable sources this has to be done on every car produced in 2007 and beyond just so you know for any other car/truck with stability. Yes the Monte` and Impalas have the sensor but the 05-06 do not have stability control.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Teching In

steering sensor cause the traction control light too? Because traction control light was on intermittantly before and the code was for the lateral accel sensor. And now it is on all the time with the new abs/brake/steering service lights?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes! The systems are all tied together... If the steering is not Zeroed the rest of the systems cannot control the direction the car is actually going (always receiving erroneous signals)

So in a case like this have the dealer check and note the codes found, then clear all the codes and then check the function of the steering control and if OK, ZERO it as per the manual (TECH II required)(I am looking to what other scan tools can do)

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 02-11-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Teching In

ok my got my codes are c0 550 c0 896 c0 187 all my lights were on this morning for the drive to work. But after work on the drive home only the traction control light is on. ????
Old 02-13-2013, 06:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So did you have the steering position checked? It could be a bad ground but the code C0187 is for the accel o meter (basically saying the car is in yaw/leaning) while you are keeping it straight. If it were a wheel sensor it would have show a code for that part of the system.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I had a 550 code, the dealership said it was an internal fault, and that that was causing the other faults. I would definitely check the grounds before getting the abs module rebuilt.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

yea ill give u more info about it when i actually get it fixed lol with getting my car hit it put a damper on things lol... but all will be well soon
Old 03-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Teching In

any one know what a u1301 code would be? seems to be my issue and no one can figure it out
Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jteske88
any one know what a u1301 code would be? seems to be my issue and no one can figure it out
u1301: Class 2 Data Line Short To Voltage - With Automatic Transmission

Possible Causes
•Check the connector of the module that set this trouble code
•Class 2 data line of the module that set the code may have a short to voltage
•Check for a short to another module on the Class 2 data line circuit
•Refer to the table for Scan Tool Does Not Communicate With Class 2 Device

Setting Conditions
Voltage supplied to the module is in the normal operating voltage range; vehicle power mode required serial data communication to occur, then the ECM did not detect any valid messages on the Class 2 serial data circuit, and voltage level detected on the Class 2 serial data circuit remained in a continuous high state for 3 seconds. Modules connected to the Class 2 serial data circuit monitor for serial data communications during normal vehicle operation. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the modules. In addition to this, Node Alive messages are transmitted by each module on the Class 2 serial data circuit about once every 2 seconds. When the module detects one of the following conditions on the Class 2 serial data circuit for approximately 3 seconds, the setting of all other Class 2 serial communication DTC is inhibited and a DTC will set.

This code sets in 2 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)
Old 03-10-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What year car, what mods including electrical?

This code is a common GM code

FIRST check and clean all grounds:
http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic,1412.0.html

SECOND broken/damaged wire/wires drivers side left foot area... ECM/PCM area, pulled chaffed wire/wires

THIRD faulty/ improperly installed ignition switch

is there any strange electrical gremlins you have noticed, example
door locks sometimes don't work, dash light/lights intermittent for no reason, car doesn`t start sometimes, headlights go bright/dim for no reason, you get the idea as it can help locate stuff!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Teching In

uhm sometimes when i turn the key nothing turn on except the cel and like no power, sometimes it starts and runs but nothing on the gauges or dic., also when i went to get my fobs programmed they loose the learn as soon as the tech unplugs teh scanner
Old 03-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Teching In

elctrical upgrades include 2/0 gauge for the amps, but i was gettting all this way before i decided to do anything to the car. the lights went on one day and never went off. only code the car will throw is the U1301.
Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
What year car, what mods including electrical?

This code is a common GM code

FIRST check and clean all grounds:
http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic,1412.0.html

SECOND broken/damaged wire/wires drivers side left foot area... ECM/PCM area, pulled chaffed wire/wires

THIRD faulty/ improperly installed ignition switch

is there any strange electrical gremlins you have noticed, example
door locks sometimes don't work, dash light/lights intermittent for no reason, car doesn`t start sometimes, headlights go bright/dim for no reason, you get the idea as it can help locate stuff!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, but I still need to know the year and model of your car as the Pontiac and Chevrolet have different wiring and they also have different wiring from 06 and previous and 07 forward in both models.

From the info you have given I would guess/say it is a problem with your ignition switch assembly inside your steering col. this assembly is a very sensitive assembly and must be accurately indexed for all its functions to work correctly at the right time/position, if it is out by as little as a tooth/spline it goes completely out of whack for its information from/to the different computers. Recommend having a GOOD GM dealer try to re index it or replace it properly, complete with tumbler assembly as it can be worn also.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Teching In

The tumbler has been replaced with a factory new gm one. Where is the ignition switch? I thought it was in the tumbler. By the way it is a 2005 Grand Prix gxp
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did your car have these symptoms prior to the tumbler replacement?

If "NO" then they improperly installed it!
If "YES" then the ignition switch assembly is located just under/surrounding the tumbler assembly. It is very important that it is installed properly!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Teching In

yes symptoms where there, thats why i tried to replace it, why dont you tell me where this ignition is or located. dont generalize it.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Teching In

and how could you mess putting the tumbler in? pretty straight forward
Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and how could you mess putting the tumbler in? pretty straight forward
If you knew you would not be asking...

As I stated earlier the Ignition Switch Assembly is what your tumbler fits into, first it passes through Key Alarm Connector then into the Ignition Lock Cylinder Case and the Ignition Switch Assembly fits into it. Now if the switch and the Tumbler are not indexed properly or damaged then when you turn the key it will not turn the mechanism to the required spot and therefore get the symptoms you are getting.

I can take more time explaining/volunteering and go and scan pictures and such then uploading them here for you to find out it has to go to a dealer for certain relearn procedures after you do all the work and find out it doesn`t start. Even at the dealer if it does not keep the relearn then it is still wrong.

Quick Reply: 4 dash lights at once ahhhhhh!!!!