LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Triple Edge Perf Transmission Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple Edge Perf Transmission Feedback

Guys, starting to get the famous "rev" then "clunk" into gear issue with my stock 06 impala ss. Was looking at triple edge performance transmissions. What is feedback from those that have used TEP transmission? Does this eliminate the issue with the stock transmission? Are there any performance gains? Feedback would be much appreciated
Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

I almost think there should be a sticky thread regarding TEP transmissions. If you did a little searching you'd find many reviews, all of which are glowing. Can't go wrong. Mine gives me peace of mind and better performance. It's much more responsive and the shifts are quicker and more reliable. I've nothing bad to say. TEP's customer service is great too.

The only criticism I've seen is on the PI (Precision Industries) torque converters. Not sure if TEP is using those anymore, but the one they sent me is PI. I haven't had any problems with it but I seem to recall that some have.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

only bad thing i have to say is it was slow to get the transmission, and slow to get my money back from the core. thats pretty common in the performance world unless your buying something from summit or jegs.
but car drives great. steeper gears were a nice add on at no cost but the programing.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

I ordered the recommend parts from Dave, and had a local shop R&R it for me. Some of the stuff in Dave's kit is pretty generic. You can not go wrong with steeper gears, and Z pack clutches. I tried to use two different PI converters, and both had major fitment issue's. Dave refunded me my money within a few days, so no complaints.
With my gear change, I had to send my computers to him for tuning. I got them back before the end of the week. By having a local shop do the work, I was only down for a little over a week and received a 1 yr warranty on parts and labor.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much does the tranny cost? Just wondering
Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

http://tripleedgeperformance.com/GM_...nce_4T65E.html
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Dave is the man, period.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

My turbo girl has full TEP built tranny under her skirt:-) no complaints...only issue if any, again is the PI converter fitment. Gotta make sure you shim her just right on the flywheel or your gonna be hurting! It's a PI thing I think? Billet cover/plate has issues more it seems with fitment than with the just the standard cover/plate
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TEP is nothing but the best . I had mine rebuilt with TEP parts and its been about a year and a half and no complaints . I wish I would of gone with 3.69s
Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smokin06impala ss
TEP is nothing but the best . I had mine rebuilt with TEP parts and its been about a year and a half and no complaints . I wish I would of gone with 3.69s
Did you get the $800 full rebuild kit?

Also when did you know your tranny was fully out the door? lol or did it just rev up and not go anywhere one day?

Mine every once in awhile randomly will start moving off a stop sign when i'm really light on the throttle and I don't even notice that anything is wrong at all until it jerks a bit and accelerates a little faster.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd hold off on rebuilding the 4T65E-HD if the car still moves for now.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of curiosity any of you HP tuners guys with tep trans what are you're pressure settings?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GXP25
I'd hold off on rebuilding the 4T65E-HD if the car still moves for now.
Just did the ol' rev and clunk today. I'll still wait but when the day comes has anyone ever just got the rebuild kit instead of the whole tranny? I'm in Canada so I don't wanna be sending my tranny down and waiting a long time.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave was fantastic to deal with and very prompt to respond to my email questions. Im also from canada and I chose to use one of his cores rather than pulling mine and waiting. My gxp is a summer car so I started to get the ball rolling earlier in the year and received it about 3 weeks ago and have slowly been installing it myself. Just have to get the new ball joints and tie rods on , install the starter and put the new tranny cooler on that I purchased along with the transmission. Should have fluid in it by tues/wed. I have a tranny core sitting around if any ones interested.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gilroy222
Just did the ol' rev and clunk today. I'll still wait but when the day comes has anyone ever just got the rebuild kit instead of the whole tranny? I'm in Canada so I don't wanna be sending my tranny down and waiting a long time.
What exactly is the rev and clunk? I have been scared lately because Last weekend I was sitting in traffic and it took way too long to shift into second and it was really harsh and loud. It also makes a noise when you put it in drive and give it gas. Other than that it still rides like a dream but with 70k on it I am looking into things. Would it be cheapest to order just the parts from Dave and have a local shop build it for me? I know I can't handle rebuilding a tranny.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Nothing but good things to say about Dave and his work. When I took mine down to him for the install, he was a very pleasant guy to talk to. Did excellent work. The transmission is just over a year old, about 10k miles and the fluid looks just like it did a year ago, like it just came out of the bottle. Excellent, 5 stars!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cory1750
What exactly is the rev and clunk? I have been scared lately because Last weekend I was sitting in traffic and it took way too long to shift into second and it was really harsh and loud. It also makes a noise when you put it in drive and give it gas. Other than that it still rides like a dream but with 70k on it I am looking into things. Would it be cheapest to order just the parts from Dave and have a local shop build it for me? I know I can't handle rebuilding a tranny.
Well the way it happened for me was after sitting for a minute at an intersection, I started to go but the car didn't move and just reved to almost 2k and then it hit hard and started going lol. It actually did it again soon after that when I pulled over to talk to somebody, only it was a lot less severe. Car has 75,000 km or 46,000 Mi. First time it's done it and it never did it the rest of the day so I don't know how long I have. Fluid looks good and orange and is in the ok range. I had a tranny cooler put on a 1000 or so ago as well as fluid and filter change so I'm positive the things f*cked and it'll be gone by the end of the summer depending on how much it does this lol.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by higsy
Dave was fantastic to deal with and very prompt to respond to my email questions. Im also from canada and I chose to use one of his cores rather than pulling mine and waiting. My gxp is a summer car so I started to get the ball rolling earlier in the year and received it about 3 weeks ago and have slowly been installing it myself. Just have to get the new ball joints and tie rods on , install the starter and put the new tranny cooler on that I purchased along with the transmission. Should have fluid in it by tues/wed. I have a tranny core sitting around if any ones interested.
So you ordered just the rebuild kit or the entire transmission? If mine goes i'll need to spend on labour for my shop to rebuild it so i probably won't spend the extra money on an entire tranny
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the whole transmission. I wished I was closer to tep though as I would have had them do the install as well. First time doing it myself and didn't find it too difficult as long as u have the right tools. I enjoyed the job.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by higsy
I ordered the whole transmission. I wished I was closer to tep though as I would have had them do the install as well. First time doing it myself and didn't find it too difficult as long as u have the right tools. I enjoyed the job.
I wouldn't mind doing it but we don't have a lift on the farm. What made you choose the whole tranny instead of the rebuild kit?

Quick Reply: Triple Edge Perf Transmission Feedback