LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Friend's MCSS VS LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend's MCSS VS LS1 Camaro

Well a buddy of mine wanted to race his bro ( LS1 camaro)
They did a dig and a 30 roll.
Mods on Camaro are CAI and exhaust
Mods on MCSS CAI and Exhaust
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Very nice run!! Is it just me, or is the monte missing lug nuts?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Barnett92
Lol it looks like it .
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Weight reduction. Otherwise he would have lost.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That Monte would appear to be more modded than your buddy is letting on. No way does it walk the Camaro with the mod list you indicated, especially an A4 Camaro that is basically point-and-shoot.

What gives it away is the top-end pull of that Monte.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
That Monte would appear to be more modded than your buddy is letting on. No way does it walk the Camaro with the mod list you indicated, especially an A4 Camaro that is basically point-and-shoot.

What gives it away is the top-end pull of that Monte.
Yes you are absolutely right , he has cat and res delete with 3in. pipe from the cat . This car definetly needs a tune .
Old 03-09-2013, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokin06impala ss
Yes you are absolutely right , he has cat and res delete with 3in. pipe from the cat . This car definetly needs a tune .
I wouldn't be surprised if it was already tuned or had an even more extensive mod list, and here's why:

If that's an average, decent-running LS1 F-body with a lid, K&N, free mods and exhaust, the very slowest it can be running is high-'13s, MAYBE 14.0 if it's a real dog. The way the Monte pulled, especially up-top would indicate a mid-to-low 13-second car, which would need, in addition to the mods you listed, a tune, LS1/6 intake and/or headers, and probably roller rockers. All of those mods would give the Monte the top-end we saw in the video. I've seen lightly-modded LS4s beat LS1 F-bodies, but not like THAT.

Having owned three LS1 Camaros and a 275 WHP LS4, I can say without a doubt there's more here than is being told.

Edit: Your car should pull that Camaro the way that Monte did, as your mod-list would make the power to do so..
Old 03-09-2013, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't be surprised if it was already tuned or had an even more extensive mod list, and here's why:

If that's an average, decent-running LS1 F-body with a lid, K&N, free mods and exhaust, the very slowest it can be running is high-'13s, MAYBE 14.0 if it's a real dog. The way the Monte pulled, especially up-top would indicate a mid-to-low 13-second car, which would need, in addition to the mods you listed, a tune, LS1/6 intake and/or headers, and probably roller rockers. All of those mods would give the Monte the top-end we saw in the video. I've seen lightly-modded LS4s beat LS1 F-bodies, but not like THAT.

Having owned three LS1 Camaros and a 275 WHP LS4, I can say without a doubt there's more here than is being told.

Edit: Your car should pull that Camaro the way that Monte did, as your mod-list would make the power to do so..
As far as having more mods it doesn't . My buddy has had that car for only a short time ( 5 months) the previous owner which I personally know put those mods it currently has . He never got around to tune it . So I can vouche for that .
Old 03-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Nice runs!! I have a similar modded GXP and ran my buddies 6 speed GTO (5.7 car) and he only beat me by 1/2 car length consistantly everytime
Old 03-09-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Watching the video from a 30 roll it looks like the camaro was pulling the MC slightly until he let off and it flew by. The one from a dig it could very well be driver error?

It's street racing. Anything can happen.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackImpSS
Watching the video from a 30 roll it looks like the camaro was pulling the MC slightly until he let off and it flew by. The one from a dig it could very well be driver error?

It's street racing. Anything can happen.
Very true..Anything is possible on the street, and after watching again, the roll could very well have been a situation where the Camaro let-off.

Since the Camaro was an automatic, there's not much room for driver error. An automatic LS1 F-body is one of the easiest, most idiot-proof ways to go fast, so it's hard to screw that up.

Still, I think that Monte is a bit more modded than maybe even the original owner disclosed. I ran into this when I bought the Camaro I have now. The original owner claimed just a lid, but it turned out to also have SLP Ram Air, hi-flow cats, LM exhaust, ported MAF, !CAGS, and all of the free mods. Some of this stuff I didn't know about until I got it apart, so sellers can often be forgetful or downright elusive when it comes to mods.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was not expecting that!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Great run
Old 03-10-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about that but the door and the quarter aren't even close to the same shade of red!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I don't know about that but the door and the quarter aren't even close to the same shade of red!
Impossible to determine based on the low quality of the video.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I noticed that as well...poor job of blending on that door.

Originally Posted by crich88848
Impossible to determine based on the low quality of the video.
Very possible to determine with a good eye, regardless of video quality. The paint on the door does not match the fender or quarter, period. My 7 year old son could see it too.

Excellent videos. Nothing better than seeing a LS4 keep up with a LS1, mods or not.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Teching In

One of the things I noticed watching the dig video is that it's very difficult to hear anything coming from the LS1 car. Is he spinning or bogging down for some reason? The exhaust on that monte overpowers any audio from the LS1. Also just listening to that Monte it picks up awful fast in 2nd gear...I know my GXP doesn't sound like that and with the simple mods he supposedly has I wouldn't think it would change that much. Almost sounds suspiciously like some spray the way it pulls in 2nd...just sayin
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXP319
One of the things I noticed watching the dig video is that it's very difficult to hear anything coming from the LS1 car. Is he spinning or bogging down for some reason? The exhaust on that monte overpowers any audio from the LS1. Also just listening to that Monte it picks up awful fast in 2nd gear...I know my GXP doesn't sound like that and with the simple mods he supposedly has I wouldn't think it would change that much. Almost sounds suspiciously like some spray the way it pulls in 2nd...just sayin
Great point. Spray WILL do that.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
I noticed that as well...poor job of blending on that door.

Very possible to determine with a good eye, regardless of video quality. The paint on the door does not match the fender or quarter, period. My 7 year old son could see it too.

Excellent videos. Nothing better than seeing a LS4 keep up with a LS1, mods or not.
No need to be a complete d!@k! The quality of the video does make it impossible to determine, if you notice in the videos the shade of red changes as the video goes on. The way the light hits the car can also be a factor on how dark or light the color may appear. If you look at the beginning of the first video the front of the door appears the same shade of red as the rear quater panel and the middle of the door is a lighter shade, then as the car moves the shades change. You could be right, the colors could be off but with all the variables I say it is impossible to make the call based on the video, PERIOD!

Last edited by crich88848; 03-12-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crich88848
No need to be a complete dick!
Please watch your language, Cheese Head...This is a family show

Quick Reply: Friend's MCSS VS LS1 Camaro