LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

End of an era

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End of an era

Yesterday, I traded in the Monte. It just tipped over 100k. Transmission had only just begun to slip a little here and there. I had been looking at a 2011 Caprice PPV, but decided to pass at the last moment. Turns out that was a good choice.

Two days later a guy comes in, buys the Caprice and winds up trading in a 2006 GTO.

7500 miles on the clock.

You read that right. Seven thousand five hundred miles.

It was one of those situations which don't ever come along twice.

Traded in the 07 Monte for the 06 GTO. It still feels weird, I've been driving the LS4 monte's since early 06 when I ordered my brand new red one. But sometimes change is good. Although, now I need to find a winter beater, as my other ride (being a 90 454 SS) won't cut the winter weather either.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice score!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What color? Auto or Manual?

I think this is what I am going to be doing in the spring, they are nice cars.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

I've been thinking about doing this when I pay off my Monte. I love the GTO, however by the time I get this payed off it will be going on an 11 year old car. So I will have to think about that. Maybe by then the price of Challengers will come down lol
Old 10-18-2013, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Gratz, I will probably do the same in the spring as well. Been looking at the LS2 GTO's.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by iMuf
I've been thinking about doing this when I pay off my Monte. I love the GTO, however by the time I get this payed off it will be going on an 11 year old car. So I will have to think about that. Maybe by then the price of Challengers will come down lol
Challengers are slow though. **** these cars can keep up. Pretty sure most of us could take an R/T from a 20 roll.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cory1750
Challengers are slow though. **** these cars can keep up. Pretty sure most of us could take an R/T from a 20 roll.
If I were to ever go with one I would do a 392 hemi. They aren't to slow. My mom has the v6 and it puts out more HP than our cars do stock. Granted they are a little bit heavier then what our cars are, but they also get traction where we do not. So yea, from a 20 role we could probably take the R/T (though there is no way we would take a 392). But from a dead stop I have no doubt that probably even a v6 could keep up and I'm sure with the R/T and 392 with the extra power, would take us. But who knows, 4 years is a long ways away. Maybe the new stingray will come down in price by then lol
Old 10-18-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iMuf
If I were to ever go with one I would do a 392 hemi. They aren't to slow. My mom has the v6 and it puts out more HP than our cars do stock. Granted they are a little bit heavier then what our cars are, but they also get traction where we do not. So yea, from a 20 role we could probably take the R/T (though there is no way we would take a 392). But from a dead stop I have no doubt that probably even a v6 could keep up and I'm sure with the R/T and 392 with the extra power, would take us. But who knows, 4 years is a long ways away. Maybe the new stingray will come down in price by then lol
I can tell you stock from the dig we take R/Ts all day. SRT8s are a different story though.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
What color? Auto or Manual?

I think this is what I am going to be doing in the spring, they are nice cars.
Phantom metallic, which is pretty much like a metallic black but in the right light it almost looks to be a crazy dark black cherry. The interior is the black leather, red gauge faces, six speed stick. While I like the transmission, the throw for the shifts feels a little long for my tastes.

The only real drawback is the winters for me, being New England the Monte was truly a perfect all year round type car, it could not be beat in the snow.

I need to find something for the wintertime, as my 454 SS isn't really good in snow either...
Old 10-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Sweet. I'm jealous. I keep telling my wife if she could drive a stick I'd get a GTO instead... Only because its faster and RWD. Other than that we love our GXP.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

I run Bridgestone Blizzak on my Camaro in the winter and they make all the difference. I got converted to them after a friend of mine was driving his 98 Mustang GT in the snow with the same tire. I was skeptical but tried them and they work great in snow. Just know they are not good for high speed cornering in the dry.

When it comes time to drive the SS in the winter it will get Blizzaks too for now I'm keeping it out of the salt for a few more years.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the GTO. We considered one of these back in 2009 when we bought our 2006 ISS. We nearly pulled the trigger on one, but wound up going with the Impala because it was a screaming deal ($13k OTD with 30k miles) and has more room in the backseat and trunk.

Enjoy your new ride!

Quick Reply: End of an era