LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Yet ANOTHER 1.8 Rocker Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yet ANOTHER 1.8 Rocker Thread...

I finally ordered up the major parts of the Shift kit install (Transgo kit & new filter) along with a smoking deal on a InTune (225 shipped) and Lew is awaiting my logs as we speak for the custom tuning (135 bucks).

I didn't even think i'd get this far into the car...but i started to look around more & more at other stuff i COULD do to the car...

Figure a rocker & spring swap wouldn't take but a couple hours and prove to be worth 10-20hp depending on the brand...so i start researching prices - HOLY ***** that gets expensive fast...

People have reported using everything from yella terras to harland sharps to scorpions to crane to comp...so from about 300 through 800 prices...that's a little steep to me once we get about mid-way through that scale...

What all are you guys using and what are the part numbers & prices?

I DO NOT plan to swap heads and DO NOT want to swap cam at ALL. PERIOD. I MAY swap to a LS1/LS6 intake once the Camaro is squared away (I would have a LS1 intake sitting around doing nothing at that point so why not)...This would be THE LAST mod i EVER do to this car until the transmission dies...then it's TEP & Cartuning time...

So...spill the beans....
Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

HS 1.8 here. My truck has Comp 1.85.

Everything should be pretty straight forward if you can search and find the really old threads assuming the picture links aren't dead.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Everyone mentions brand names but no part numbers at all. about 75% of the pictures still work. The walkthrough is even still there but doesn't dwell into specifics...though it really was a big help at first...

Does any LS1/6 rocker work? What type would i need? I see Scorpions for 370.xx at ws6project and YT's from intense for 399 - both claiming to be a direct bolt-on with no crazy setup procedure required.

One thread had a part number for the old Crane rocker kit. rockers, pushrods, guideplates, etc...it is priced right about 750-850 dollars! I don't think we need to get that extravagant here...

There's just about 37846238 different rockers to choose from and a concrete "here - pick from these 3 what fits your budget best. All work 100%. All are a direct swap" would be nice...
Old 02-03-2014, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

If your planning a Turbo kit from CarTuning, I wouldn't bother with rockers... Springs are a must thoo, check out Brian Tooley Racing http://www.briantooleyracing.com/springs.html

Since you want to keep stock cam and presumably lifters, you don't want to go to high on spring pressure. On Kevin's recommendation, I went with the 1218 springs - $135...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by x11 nut
If your planning a Turbo kit from CarTuning, I wouldn't bother with rockers... Springs are a must thoo, check out Brian Tooley Racing http://www.briantooleyracing.com/springs.html

Since you want to keep stock cam and presumably lifters, you don't want to go to high on spring pressure. On Kevin's recommendation, I went with the 1218 springs - $135...
CarTuning is off in a dream world...only applies if the transmission dies and even then i would need the bulletproof Trans from TEP first at a cost to me (after core) of right around 4k dollars...

I'm looking at stuff that i can do while the car is still NA and i'm pretty sure rockers is about my mod limit. I don't want to tear into this engine internally at all since i have a 2000 Z28 getting the full treatment in about 2 months (full bolt-ons, H/C/I swap, minor suspension, clutch, etc) in the quest for ~450whp on that platform. I have my LS to mod to go fast...and this one isn't it...
Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty sure crane went out of business, so I wouldn't bother with those. Most kits are in the 350-400 area unless you get adjustable ones. Yella terra seem to be more expensive. Just look for ls1/6 compatibility... don't get mad that it doesn't say ls4.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by neilownz
HS 1.8 here. My truck has Comp 1.85.

Everything should be pretty straight forward if you can search and find the really old threads assuming the picture links aren't dead.
I've been thinking about doing a set of 1.8-1.85's on my 2500hd, they offer good midrange gains. How do you like the 1.85's?

Here's a back to back goin from HS 1.7's to HS 1.8's on my bolt-on ls6

Old 02-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by neilownz
Pretty sure crane went out of business, so I wouldn't bother with those. Most kits are in the 350-400 area unless you get adjustable ones. Yella terra seem to be more expensive. Just look for ls1/6 compatibility... don't get mad that it doesn't say ls4.
So pretty much any of the rockers in that bunch would work?

People seem to go nuts over the Yella Terras. they're only 20 bucks more than the scorpions. that much i can handle...

Hopefully i can get Lew his logs tonight. i'm on a tight schedule today. starting in about 15min. BAH!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Seems like this is a pretty popular mod, and I'm interested in doing it too. I think it's worthy of a sticky write-up if someone knowledgeable is willing!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's like putting a bigger cam in basically. 10-20 hp somewhere in that range. If you are wanting to put a cam in then stick to stock and have it ground to make the changes. It was the only option before people started removing dod, putting in ls6 cams, etc etc.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke HS and yella terra rockers when i had my Zo6. Im gonna go like some others here with the factory SLP modified 1.85. Never heard a problem with them. Expensive though.. I think they come with pushrods... Not sure.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Launching!

BTW. WHERE CAN YOU BUY THE TRANSGO SHIFT KIT???? WHATS THE PART NUMBER??? LMAO

Thanks

Derek
Old 03-30-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default rockers

shift kit (zzp and or TEP) and trans cooler: Yes. add polymount also. I would then add some STBs (mine are for sale). Rockers: vincihiperformance, call him. ls1 intake: I have one for sale with valley cover and brain 396 adapter

Last edited by 707chance; 03-30-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-31-2014, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 707chance
shift kit (zzp and or TEP) and trans cooler: Yes. add polymount also. I would then add some STBs (mine are for sale). Rockers: vincihiperformance, call him. ls1 intake: I have one for sale with valley cover and brain 396 adapter
Hey man, thanks for your opinions. Dealt with vinci. Dont want aftermarket (crane) rockers. I have done several cars with slp rockers. Prefer factory when it comes to rockers. Just came out of a Z06 with HS and YT cracking and properly set up. Went back to stock. Baby smooth. Worth the money when ur stressed from ripping apart the valve train all the time with a bad back. Im 43 with degenerating discs.. thousands of hours working on cars to hotrod them since I was 17. 26 years bent over the hood or under a car on ramps and jacks with 18" clearance. Cant stop now. lol I will probably go with an LS6 intake. Do the LS1's need to be underside smoothed or is that only if I go with the DoD valley tray. I plan on tuning out DoD. GM holds back soo much torque with their damn TM program in the ecm. Grrrr Gonna get a lot of that back after tune. hehehhe

Still learning about transverse LS engines. Whats the brain 396 adapter for? Trust me I learn fast. Ported my own FAST intake for my Z06 with a dremel. and sand paper. Did my own clutch with forum print outs trans and diff replacement. Working on this car is cake. Took only 50 hours to get it smooth and geometrically straight. roll eyes. haha. Yeah I read the LS1 and ls6 are close. LS6 takes a good jump in flow above lifts that this car wont see.. so probably go with an LS1 in the end. Im doing a ton of mods and it will be 6 weeks till the arctic vortex gets the hell out of here. So no tinkering on the GXP for a while yet. Thanks. Send me a PM about the intake, valley cover and what the adapter does.

Thanks bud

Derek
Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default rockers

2 pms sent

Quick Reply: Yet ANOTHER 1.8 Rocker Thread...